RMweb

Bridge bashing

• 2 months later...

Bridge bashing with a difference.#430333537_10160008679682286_8142695730046980044_n.jpg.e30910289f88ce925318edc11209f9e2.jpg

No idea where they were expecting to get off, they've driven almost half mile from Henwick LC.

Edited by JZ
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmmmm  ......... should this be in the Level Crossing Stupidity thread ? ( as well ? )

I did give that a thought. Will add it now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JZ said:

Bridge bashing with a difference.#430333537_10160008679682286_8142695730046980044_n.jpg.e30910289f88ce925318edc11209f9e2.jpg

No idea where they were expecting to get off, they've driven almost half mile from Henwick LC.

Pratnav strikes again.

• Like 1

"999, which service do you require?"

"Erm, this is a bit embarrassing...."

IMG-20240309-WA0003.jpg.15b50dce5cedac5683ae8609e49df3db.jpg

Okay, not a low bridge, but still a height restriction. Just now in the Tesco car park, Cradley Heath, West Mids. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edit - and yes, the first thing I thought to do was post it on here.... 👍🥳

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The bus has ripped it's aircon unit off by the looks of it. 🙄

28 minutes ago, JZ said:

Surely they just need to reverse forIMG-20240309-WA0003.jpg.15b50dce5cedac5683ae8609e49df3db.jpg.eaf655cfa0790918a2dffcde549a13ae.jpg

I have a feeling it wasn't quite that simple*. The front of the roof has a slight hump on it, the restriction bar is wedged behind in the dip of the roof. Note the lower 'tell -tale' bar that hangs below the main bar is pushed up too.

* Like the oft-quoted armchair advice to let the tyres down to lower a stuck lorry. Two big problems with this - 1) have you ever tried moving an HGV with all it's tyres flat? & 2) have you got a compressor handy to blow them back up afterwards, usually 120psi.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

So should they introduce a bus replacement train service?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

It's on an S bend by the look of it, so must have missed the low bridge sign. As both buses seem to be from the same company, Lothian, you'd have thought that their drivers would have been reminded about the bridge after the first bash, at least that one was empty, unlike the first incident.

• Like 1

@F-UnitMad one place I worked at had casual visits from the police (for a chat and brew) and they mentioned about one car park that used to get police vans visiting.  However the van was ok just the roof light clusters would hit the roof of the car park.

Once whilst following a truck in Leeds it decided to get stuck under a rail bridge, taller trailer than the tractor unit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And not just a slight scrape. However did the driver not see the bridge?

Jonathan

Next to our level crossing here in Littleport there is an underpass that used to be a road. Its advertised height is 8'3". 

One day I was happily minding my own business with the gates across the road for a train to come. I then watch a full artic approach and then turn to go under the underpass. Thinking that this is going to be interesting, I get ready to throw back, but to my surprise the driver of the artic slows down to a crawl, but continues to go down the slope towards the bridge. 

And he keeps going, and going, until he stops about 3 feet from the bridge (the train has now gone), and then starts to reverse. 

I can only think he stopped as he was still looking over the top of the bridge when he did stop......

It was wonderful watching him make a right old mess of reversing up the slope for the next half hour.....

Andy G

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yep, Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley. They cut down some O8s after that. What happens when you convert a canal to a railway.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
Correcting error
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Yep, Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr. They cut down some O8s after that. What happens when you convert a canal to a railway.

Jonathan

I think they already had cut down some 08's by then to replace the 03's? I understand a loco had failed and 08898 was sent down the branch in error to rescue it with none of the staff involved realising that a non cut down loco had been allocated.. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/03/2024 at 09:53, Hobby said:

It's on an S bend by the look of it, so must have missed the low bridge sign. As both buses seem to be from the same company, Lothian, you'd have thought that their drivers would have been reminded about the bridge after the first bash, at least that one was empty, unlike the first incident.

I think the latest incident is an ex Lothian bus operated by another operator rather than still owned by Lothian?

• Like 1