Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

2.1m is incredibly low - I used to have a Land Rover Discovery that was pretty close to that - the roof bars only just cleared the height barrier on a local car park that was labelled as 2.0m

I once had a Suzuki jeep about 30 years ago, it had an aerial centrally placed on the roof. One of the local supermarkets had an underground car park beneath the store with a low ceiling (a little over two metres). They installed new fluorescent lighting in the carpark. When I went in there I took out about five of the tubes and a couple of other high vehicles did the same. The new lighting had reduced the headroom but the height restriction at the entrance hadn't been changed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Another thing that can catch out car drivers is when they put a roof box on top of their car, then try & go under a car park barrier that the car alone is low enough to go under....

Seen that a few times over the years, especially in holiday towns. 😉

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Another thing that can catch out car drivers is when they put a roof box on top of their car, then try & go under a car park barrier that the car alone is low enough to go under....

Seen that a few times over the years, especially in holiday towns. 😉

They forget they've put the roof rack on.

I once saw a money-saving technique on the car ferries.  Car drawing a camping trailer pulls up on the dockside, the occupants get out and put the trailer upside down on top of the car - saves money on charges based on length.  Obviously had to be still within height limits.  Not sure how safe that would have been if the Channel was stormy, but the ferry company allowed it on board.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

They forget they've put the roof rack on.

I once saw a money-saving technique on the car ferries.  Car drawing a camping trailer pulls up on the dockside, the occupants get out and put the trailer upside down on top of the car - saves money on charges based on length.  Obviously had to be still within height limits.  Not sure how safe that would have been if the Channel was stormy, but the ferry company allowed it on board.

Some ferry companies restrict height as well - certainly the Isle of Wight ones do, as they have mezzanine decks that are high enough for cars but not vans etc, so they need to know which vehicles will fit there and which need to be in the full height bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nick C said:

Some ferry companies restrict height as well - certainly the Isle of Wight ones do, as they have mezzanine decks that are high enough for cars but not vans etc, so they need to know which vehicles will fit there and which need to be in the full height bit.

So does the Torpoint Ferry, but only on one side of the deck……I did see a van ignore the boarding directions given by staff once, ships are substantially more solid than a Vivaro Van 🤣

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to the caption it was that the "Bridge exploded" and not the Gas Tanker stuck under it!

(..later corrected in the main body of text.)

Kev.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

"Network Rail were also at the scene and people were warned to "expect huge delays"." ........... road users, that is cos rail passengers are already ...............

So serious that Network Rail have been cancelling 4 out of 5 trains across the whole network.

One serious bridge bash, will fully reopen next week once the bus is released and all the drivers who could not get to work this week are back in the right place to run the trains again.

• Funny 7

On 18/11/2022 at 23:49, PhilJ W said:

I once had a Suzuki jeep about 30 years ago, it had an aerial centrally placed on the roof. One of the local supermarkets had an underground car park beneath the store with a low ceiling (a little over two metres). They installed new fluorescent lighting in the carpark. When I went in there I took out about five of the tubes and a couple of other high vehicles did the same. The new lighting had reduced the headroom but the height restriction at the entrance hadn't been changed.

The car park to a shop in Sligo (West Ireland) had a metal height-restriction barrier as you enter. I carefully checked as I had arrived with a roof-box on my car, and I was able to drive in with a clearance of a couple of inches.

Did some shopping and went to leave, but the exit is a one-way system through their two-storey multi-level carpark. Here the maximum height is considerably lower than the entrance barrier gauge. It would have taken 6” off the roof-box. This wouldn’t be due to light fixtures but immovable concrete beams.

Only solution was to drive out the way I came in, against the incoming traffic. Had to wait about 20 minutes for a clear run with my wife trying to give me visual encouragement from the pavement.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

The car park to a shop in Sligo (West Ireland) had a metal height-restriction barrier as you enter. I carefully checked as I had arrived with a roof-box on my car, and I was able to drive in with a clearance of a couple of inches.

Did some shopping and went to leave, but the exit is a one-way system through their two-storey multi-level carpark. Here the maximum height is considerably lower than the entrance barrier gauge. It would have taken 6” off the roof-box. This wouldn’t be due to light fixtures but immovable concrete beams.

Only solution was to drive out the way I came in, against the incoming traffic. Had to wait about 20 minutes for a clear run with my wife trying to give me visual encouragement from the pavement.

Alternatively, couldn't you have removed the roof box and put it back on after passing through the multi-storey?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Alternatively, couldn't you have removed the roof box and put it back on after passing through the multi-storey?

Could have, except the roofbox was full to the brim having just arrived in the town and we stop to get some groceries before heading to our house. Trust me, I'm pretty good at analysing my situation and this had crossed my mind, albeit briefly.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Could have, except the roofbox was full to the brim having just arrived in the town and we stop to get some groceries before heading to our house. Trust me, I'm pretty good at analysing my situation and this had crossed my mind, albeit briefly.

I knew there would be a logical explanation!

• Like 1

I may have written about this before, apologies if I have.  Many years ago, I was at a uni in the south of England & one of the field athletics clubs hired the student's union minibus, rather than a commercial one for a trip.  Unfortunately, the SU one was a 6 wheel Transit with a full length bolted on steel roof rack, rather than a low roof 4 wheel bus.  Anyone not guessed what they did ?  😢

• Funny 3

Years ago a senior colleague replaced his estate car with an Isuzu Trooper which fitted his garage, he made sure of the dimensions before buying. On the second or third exit backwards from said garage, the radio aerial hooked in the hand pull down strap on the up and over door and pulled the door down onto the car roof, leaving a nice crease across it. He was somewhat mortified.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/argos-delivery-driver-crashes-railway-25951092

The location was Berkswell station, once one of the few locations with the holy trinity of an underpass, level crossing and footbridge. The level crossing was closed a few years ago and the underpass is single lane traffic light controlled with a 7' clearance and a separate pedestrian tunnel.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 298 said:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/argos-delivery-driver-crashes-railway-25951092

The location was Berkswell station, once one of the few locations with the holy trinity of an underpass, level crossing and footbridge. The level crossing was closed a few years ago and the underpass is single lane traffic light controlled with a 7' clearance and a separate pedestrian tunnel.

That is some achievement... The driver had a lucky escape...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, Kris said:

Someone crunched their lorry into a bridge just outside of Redruth today. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/live-updates-scorrier-lorry-cornwall-8336038?fbclid=IwAR0vBiTctT7H7mYHYtGhGPFwkX7U2vKNz0BiZ_XOfcmWYqwGkKUXC-v73cg

Sorry for the site with lots of adverts. 

Looks like it is a matter of 1 to 2 inches that has made the difference.  Based on location and colour of truck I have a hunch who the operator is, have never seen them run a double deck trailer though so likely to be either the driver chanced it hoping for the mythical 3 inch allowance that bridge heights have marked or forgot they were pulling a double deck trailer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Odd that the bus bridge bash between Waterloo and Vauxhall the Wednesday before last didn't get a mention here, despite causing considerable evening rush hour disruption including to myself going home from the National Archives. But maybe the SWR service is routinely sufficiently perturbed for no-one to have noticed, much?  

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2