RMweb

The London Festival of Railway Modelling, Ally Pally-24 to 25 March 2018

BRMExhibitions

Standard of layouts was exceptional and I’m very happy to have seen them all. However I must confess to being slightly underwhelmed by the trade side of things, there was no real hunting to be done - every stand had roughly the same things at the same prices with no real difference between them - the selection of products on offer also seemed to have shrunk quite considerably as well.

Was worthy of the price of entry, but considering the trip needed to get to Ally Pally from Birmingham maybe it’s not something I’ll be desperate to repeat

I have to make an assumption because you seem reluctant to put a number on the closing time you'd like for a show.

To put the price into context, £12 for 7 hours entertainment works out at £1.71 per hour. The cinema works out at £7.00 per hour. Football £11+ per hour.

Looking after the exhibitors is part of putting on a "prestigious" show. If they don't take part, you get far less impressive layout and trade. As chris p bacon said, travelling time back to the hotel at the end of the day can be significant. The Warners team managed to be back between 6:15 and 7ish after the 5 pm finish. Those transport issues affect us all!

I'm not reluctant at all to put a time on things, I was just making an observation. But I would say 6pm for first day, and 5pm second day, but if my understanding is correct Sunday was much quieter so 4.30 was better from an all round point of view as not many visitors by that time were left. But I guess it's a question of balance all round when organising these things.

I don't think you can really compare pricing to football which is grossly overpriced and pushed many a loyal fan from attending games, but if you like a comparison I'm attending the Dortmund intermodellbau that's 8 halls of modelling at 12.00 euros on the door once exchange rate taken into account that's 9 hours at £1.38 an hour. The railway has two/3 halls size wise around 4 halls of ally pally

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very good show for us despite arriving at 08.00 on Saturday to set up the layout then getting stuck in the lift for a while. With the big lift out of action, we had to use the stairs and queue for the small lift but we managed to have the first train running by 09.30.

Staff this year were very pleasant and helpful which is good to see as some years they were not.

I didn't get to look at many of the other layouts and traders as I was just too busy having a chat with visitors and fellow RMwebbers in between dealing with the layout but this is what I enjoy.

We managed to load our vehicle just as the big lift got stuck again. So my only issue is that these lifts need some work o them as thr tend to fail every time we have been exhibiting at the show which had been most years.

I'm attending the Dortmund intermodellbau that's 8 halls of modelling at 12.00 euros on the door once exchange rate taken into account that's 9 hours at £1.38 an hour. The railway has two/3 halls size wise around 4 halls of ally pally

No matter what time they shut it won't be late enough to get around all that. Do let them know if you think they should stay open later for you. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I'm not reluctant at all to put a time on things, I was just making an observation. But I would say 6pm for first day, and 5pm second day, but if my understanding is correct Sunday was much quieter so 4.30 was better from an all round point of view as not many visitors by that time were left. But I guess it's a question of balance all round when organising these things.

I don't think you can really compare pricing to football which is grossly overpriced and pushed many a loyal fan from attending games, but if you like a comparison I'm attending the Dortmund intermodellbau that's 8 halls of modelling at 12.00 euros on the door once exchange rate taken into account that's 9 hours at £1.38 an hour. The railway has two/3 halls size wise around 4 halls of ally pally

You need to bear in mind that many of us have a fair journey home when the show closes such as some from Cumbria and with the North Circular always being busy on a Sunday evening as it took us two hours to get to get home to Surrey. Whilst we enjoy the dhow it isn't an easy place to get into yo set up and thrn dismantle. Any longer opening times may well put off some exhibitors especially as it's an earlier start to many with advance ticket hders coming in at 09.30.

• RMweb Gold

Look at warley for example 6pm for day 1. And day 2 is 5pm. But ally pally was only 5 pm on day 1 that's only 7 hours and day 2 was even worse at 4.30 pm. Ok I know shows always end a bit earlier the last day that is fair enough. But to end so early on the first day was not what I consider value for money and the main reason I didn't get to see everything. And when they made the closing announcement I was not the only one with a look of surprise on there face.

The quality of the layouts was excellent, but it was very difficult to get good views and appreciate them hence very often towards the end of a show the crowds thin out but with the early closing I missed out on some of these quality layouts. So at £12 on the door entry and god knows for a trader, I'm sure that as a trader you would want to get the maximum return on your show costs and the visitor to get good value.

As an exhibitor and trader 5pm is plenty particularly if you have to get home (don't forget a large chunk of small traders are not doing this to make money).  Warley (and frankly any show open before 10 and finishing at 6) is too long if you're doing it for the love of the hobby - part of the reason I do it is because I enjoy seeing other layouts and being able to get out and about to see other parts of the country (yes and to visit nice pubs!), if I'm in the show for longer then I'm a. more tired and b. less likely to carry on showing my layout (or taking out my trade stand).

Balance in all things...

Cheers, Mike

To the true Inner North Londoner, the M25 is not the natural boundary, anywhere outside the North Circular is uncharted territory. Alexandra Park is not the easiest place to get to, particularly by train from the more distant north (involving a trip into and out of Central London), it's stuck on top of a great big hill, with only one through bus route, and the shuttle thingy on the east side. But the palace is an iconic structure, and the views are spectacular, they should never have closed it's railway station. We'd all love extended opening hours, I remember the Manchester show's Friday evening opening, but I think the 5pm saturday closing has a lot to do with AP staff and security shift hours, so as to avoid paying expensive overtime. Don't forget, a big chunk of your admission fee goes on security at this high-profile venue. Talking of security, if the threat of attacks continues, I wouldn't be surprised if in future, we had to walk through airport style metal detectors, as used at many offices now. The other factor regarding hours, is the double-whammy of the clocks changing on Saturday night, which tends to make the Sunday opening feel even shorter at 4-30pm. I enjoyed my visit, yet I still missed some of it, isn't that the sign of a good show? BK

• RMweb Premium

Grr didn't get my totem even when ordered at 12 and still not made by 5pm not very good service. And was surprised show closed at 5, ok I know I didn't check but 5 hmmm

Hi Andy

I am not going to comment on the service by the Totem man but I will say something about the closure time. I was cleaning the tracks on the layout I was operating at 8.00am, for most the day I was by myself so by 5.00pm I was getting tired.

My first (and, probably, last) visit to Ally Pally, today. Many positives about the show but too much of a ‘faff’ trying to get to the venue. A couple of changes on the train and far too much walking. I might have been better off driving but having to negotiate the M11 and M25 really didn’t appeal.

As for the show, I thought that they got the balance of layouts to trade stands just about right. I went with a shopping list but actually came away with nothing. I realise that our hobby isn’t inexpensive but when I see items that have doubled in price in less than a year, my wallet is going to stay firmly in my pocket. A classic example of this was Hornby’s 2HAL - on sale for £52.00 (at Hattons) last year and I assume that they weren’t making a loss, now on sale for prices ranging from £89.00 to £92.00. I am glad that I am not contemplating a 3rd rail layout! However, I do want a Wainwright Class H with Pull/Push set. I was astonished to see the Hornby ‘Push/Pull’ set of 2 coaches for the best part of £100. <rant over>

The original true price was around £125 - £130 so £89.00 to £92.00 is a fair price . The £52.00 price was part of Hornby`s fire sale of a couple of yeas ago and were soon sold through. the days of ultra cheap bargains is over  

• Like 1

Look at warley for example 6pm for day 1. And day 2 is 5pm. But ally pally was only 5 pm on day 1 that's only 7 hours and day 2 was even worse at 4.30 pm. Ok I know shows always end a bit earlier the last day that is fair enough. But to end so early on the first day was not what I consider value for money and the main reason I didn't get to see everything. And when they made the closing announcement I was not the only one with a look of surprise on there face.

The quality of the layouts was excellent, but it was very difficult to get good views and appreciate them hence very often towards the end of a show the crowds thin out but with the early closing I missed out on some of these quality layouts. So at £12 on the door entry and god knows for a trader, I'm sure that as a trader you would want to get the maximum return on your show costs and the visitor to get good value.

I'm sure there be those with a different view that's democracy, but if this the situation next year I won't be making an effort to visit especially with all the transport difficulties in various locations for such a short show when I guess that the average travelling time was probably arround 1 1/2 hours each way

Andy

Please note that the show opens - in practice - at 9:30am. Having been an exhibitor last year, and living 40 miles away , that meant being in  the hall bright and early around 8:30, after an hour and a quarter's drive, Oh and the clocks have gone on...Call that 7:30.

Remember that some of the larger stands / club vehicles will not be on the road until 7pm or later on the Sunday, with long drives home and then off-loading the lorry before the crew can go home. I don't know what time the crews from Grantham and Calcutta Sidings got home last night - I suspect, around midnight. Historically MRC members were off-loading barrier at the CMRA store in Welwyn at 9pm or later - and then had to get home.

It's very easy to complain about closing time when you don't have 5-6 hours hard work ahead of you after the show closes , after a full day's operating , with an early start. Not everyone - but certainly significant numbers - who may then have to go into work next morning and work a full working week

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm attending the Dortmund intermodellbau that's 8 halls of modelling at 12.00 euros on the door once exchange rate taken into account that's 9 hours at £1.38 an hour. The railway has two/3 halls size wise around 4 halls of ally pally

So you're happy to travel to Germany to spend 12 Euros, but balk at travelling to London to spend £12? 

• Like 1

Please note that the show opens - in practice - at 9:30am. Having been an exhibitor last year, and living 40 miles away , that meant being in  the hall bright and early around 8:30, after an hour and a quarter's drive, Oh and the clocks have gone on...Call that 7:30.

Remember that some of the larger stands / club vehicles will not be on the road until 7pm or later on the Sunday, with long drives home and then off-loading the lorry before the crew can go home. I don't know what time the crews from Grantham and Calcutta Sidings got home last night - I suspect, around midnight. Historically MRC members were off-loading barrier at the CMRA store in Welwyn at 9pm or later - and then had to get home.

It's very easy to complain about closing time when you don't have 5-6 hours hard work ahead of you after the show closes , after a full day's operating , with an early start. Not everyone - but certainly significant numbers - who may then have to go into work next morning and work a full working week

Yes I fully understand what you say regarding packing up on the Sunday and the long journeys home, but my observation (not complaint) was for the Saturday

So you're happy to travel to Germany to spend 12 Euros, but balk at travelling to London to spend £12?

Can you state where I balked at spending £12, I was happy with £12.00 or I wouldn't of paid it. This was only mentioned as comparison

Yes I fully understand what you say regarding packing up on the Sunday and the long journeys home, but my observation (not complaint) was for the Saturday

It is obvious that you have never attended an exhibition as a trader or with a layout

A typical accountants view

• RMweb Gold

It is obvious that you have never attended an exhibition as a trader or with a layout

Some tells me you were which you have denied in the past, your sounding bitter again  :mad:  cheer up matey. :biggrin_mini2:

Apologies for the sound quality on this clip but it was a chance to chat with Rails for an update on their projects with John Barber.

Phil on camera duties vainly battles to try and keep showgoers walking between the camera and us - in hindsight it wan't the best time and place to do this. I will have a later clip about the Terrier project with Brian Greenwood from Rails and Richard Webster of Dapol.

• Like 3

Some tells me you were which you have denied in the past, your sounding bitter again  :mad:  cheer up matey. :biggrin_mini2:

Just an observation does it matter either way. I just put trader exhibitor , I could have easily put it the other way round :no:  :no: