The London Festival of Railway Modelling, Ally Pally-24 to 25 March 2018

BRMExhibitions

• Administrators

Then I guess many won't be attending Bristol that finishes at 6pm Way past bed time

If you checked the website - 6:30pm on Saturday. Which means that the exhibitors will probably make the hotels for an evening meal about the same time as they did at Ally Pally since, in my experience, it's a lot easier to get around Bristol than London. They get a later start too. 

I'm not sure this can go anywhere. On one hand, you want shows open all hours. On the other, those inside the barriers are working long days and want to eat in the evening, or get back home on the Sunday at a time that allows some sleep before the next days work. The organisers have to balance both demands along with a consideration of the costs keeping the venue open for longer. As you say, if people don't want to do the hours then they don't have to go to the show - so if they want the best layouts, organisers have to balance commercial considerations with consideration towards the exhibitors. At the moment, that looks about as it is going to get. 

Wakefield still has a Friday evening slot of 5.30 to 9 which is well attended. Times will never suit everyone but I am always amazed when people ask for a refund as they think a show is too expensive or not enough to see. Do they do the same at the cinema if the film is not to their liking or a refund for a 0 -0 draw at a football. Wakefield exhibited at the show this weekend and we got back home for around 10.30 with some members at work today as well as returning the van but was worth it for the experience of being there and the comments received.

Closing time. As a former exhibition manager of a large show that closed at 6 when I first took it on I was constantly gripped by traders and some layouts about why they were hanging around till 6pm when there were only a few die hards left in the hall, none of whom were buying anything. In fact most shows start to die away by 4pm as people beetle off home for their meals, nights out etc etc. As pointed out already this show opens at 09:30 - most shows open at ten so that means putting extra time in at the front of the day - another hour on top of that and the exhibitors, traders and organisers would be climbing the walls. There may be a duty on the organisers to put a show on to the public but theres equally a duty to look after the people who work these shows, and to be honest Ally Pally has struck the right balance with this.

As for the show, it was excellent, Some exceptionally good layouts this year, no names n pack drill but Kensington Addison Road blew me away, that is quality 7mm modelling at its best. Yes there may be a lot of box shifters but there's a lot of other traders who cover most bases as well  - the bits and bobs needed for completion of my layout were easily obtained. As an exhibitor its well run, well organised, and always a pleasure to bring a layout there.

Edited by Persephone
  • Like 1

Remember that some of the larger stands / club vehicles will not be on the road until 7pm or later on the Sunday, with long drives home and then off-loading the lorry before the crew can go home. I don't know what time the crews from Grantham and Calcutta Sidings got home last night - I suspect, around midnight.

For the record, Grantham the layout and its owner arrived home at 11.15am this morning. On one of our earlier shows, I attempted a 3 hours plus drive home on the Sunday night and found myself nodding off at the wheel. So it's now a golden rule that I stop over somewhere (at my own expense if necessary) if it's a long run home. We were appreciative of the 4.30 finish time; we achieved a very credible (for us) 2-and-a-quarter hours pack away / van load so were at least able to commence the long journey northwards in the daylight.

Can I use the opportunity to thanks those who have kindly recorded their appreciation of the layout on this thread? Notwithstanding the hard work involved, we all had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed being part of this great show.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm staggered at the complaints about show times. They were advertised in advance. As for traders, the bargains of previous are long gone, but there was plenty of variety of pricing if you looked. A Hornby FGW 08 could had at anything from £70 to its rrp. I rummaged and found some hard to find Heljan Cargowaggon flats. I attempted to haggle, resulting in the trader finding unweathered versions that met my price expectations. We have to accept the industry is (rightly) moving away from the dumping of stock, and expectations of ridiculously cheap items need to be tempered. I would agree that some of the secondhand prices were taking proverbial - several items could be bought new on other stands for less than the secondhand price!

It was a good day out. Not only did my £13 get me in and provided a guide I will refer in the future, but also generated the same value in free stuff including magazines (acquired legally!). Great setting, easy parking, quiet on Sunday morning, and plenty of good layouts. By the time I've accounted for the free stuff, postage on purchases I've not had to pay for and a free weathering demo I'm quids in. Excellent value for money.

• Like 3

I wonder if it would be possible to have a refresh of the general arrangement of stands in both the main and side hall next year?  With layouts tucked in with trade stands it is all too easy to miss some of them, particularly the smaller ones.  Perhaps separating the trade and layouts into separate zones rather than all thrown in among each other may be a way forward?

I don't think that would work - although the space is large there are sufficient constraints on aisle locations and exit routes that limit what can be done. You may not have noticed, but the power ducts in the floors are also critical - everything needing power has to be within range of a duct without crossing an aisle. Traders I believe also like to keep the same pitch for all sorts of reasons - they do move sometimes but not often. I moved the MRC second hand shop to the West Hall this year and got my ear bent as it wasn't where it has been since the year dot. It was a slow start, but people found it and over the weekend we did OK.

Distributing the layouts and trade stands throughout both halls I think works pretty well - it encourages people to move around the halls and reduces crowding and pinch-points.

Wakefield still has a Friday evening slot of 5.30 to 9 which is well attended. Times will never suit everyone but I am always amazed when people ask for a refund as they think a show is too expensive or not enough to see. Do they do the same at the cinema if the film is not to their liking or a refund for a 0 -0 draw at a football. Wakefield exhibited at the show this weekend and we got back home for around 10.30 with some members at work today as well as returning the van but was worth it for the experience of being there and the comments received.

As has been said, layout owners don't have to take their layouts to exhibitions. I'm sure we all have our reasons, but we have to get something out of it. Setting up on a Saturday morning is OK if you live nearby, and have enough time to set up at the venue. But it's quite stressful, as with an early start and limited time in the hall there is little tolerance if a fault develops - or the motorway is closed! For me an exhibition normally means a Friday (or Friday afternoon) off work and often a very late finish on Sunday, ahead of a day at work on the Monday. There needs to be some down-time over the weekend, and with the team that is often where some of the best ideas are chewed over and agreed. A sensible closing time on the Saturday helps.

I'll admit I wasn't sure about the Friday evening at Wakefield before going with Minories last year, but in fact it was great fun. I felt I'd made better use of the day off, there were plenty of people who attended and our operators had a good evening.

Sunday afternoons can be slow - but I was sat in the Palm Court at 4.02 yesterday watching a group of three paying to go in - even though they had less than 28 minutes of entertainment.

Tom

• Like 1

Well I was knackered by 3 :)

Really enjoyed the show which had some fantastic layouts. Actually enjoyed this year more than last which I guess is going on the Sunday. Arrived 9 30 and whistled through the box shifter traders and despite missing out on the "Saturday bargains" spent more at this show than before.

Being quieter I managed to get a good look in on some great layouts.

Thanks for putting the show on!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that would work - although the space is large there are sufficient constraints on aisle locations and exit routes that limit what can be done. You may not have noticed, but the power ducts in the floors are also critical - everything needing power has to be within range of a duct without crossing an aisle. Traders I believe also like to keep the same pitch for all sorts of reasons - they do move sometimes but not often. I moved the MRC second hand shop to the West Hall this year and got my ear bent as it wasn't where it has been since the year dot. It was a slow start, but people found it and over the weekend we did OK.

Distributing the layouts and trade stands throughout both halls I think works pretty well - it encourages people to move around the halls and reduces crowding and pinch-points.

May I suggest a slight amendment to the seating (near to the MRC s/h stand) in the smaller hall for next year please?  Spread the pitch out by a foot or so (more if poss.). Getting in and out of a row was a pain - knees were swinging like Lock Gates.....  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

A few pics on Flickr which may be of interest. Hebble Vale Goods and Leighton Buzzard mainly but also some of the sample little locos - P, B4, Barclay - that 2018 will become famous for. Here's the link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjslipper/

Great pictures, thanks, love the B4 in LSWR green, very nice, I see the chimney has been sorted too :-)

Cheers,

Keith

Excellent show, nice ambience, good value for money. 

Transport was a little different this year but TFL gave ample warning about this and the journey time from Baker Street was a mere 50 minutes, via Oxford Circus, Finsbury Park and W3 bus.

We left by 14.00 had an hour in a pub and was home by 18.30. I think Alexander Palace is an superb venue for this event and have only missed two shows since it has been there.

Well done to the organisers and sponsors...............don't change a thing!

• Like 1

I attended on Sunday - my second visit after a previous trip a number of years ago.

I thought Mostyn was absolutely superb - BR Blue with a wonderful attention to detail - I spent ages watching it.

I had a pretty dodgy journey to the venue though which was unfortunate......but any travel in London & the South East can be testing as we know....

Just for your amusement....

Left home in Dorking at just before 10.15 (OK not the earliest start as the clocks had gone forward)

Drove to Redhill (as Dorking - London trains generally are too slow) to catch the 10.53 to Victoria.

Arrived to find the 10.53 cancelled due to overrunning engineering work. Great!

Instead caught the 11.08 from Redhill (a Tonbridge - Victoria service)

Decided to jump off at East Croydon to switch to the Thameslink.

Good connection onto the Thameslink but then spent an age sitting at Blackfriars going nowhere.

Eventually, after almost 15mins off we go. I got off at St Pancras.

Short walk to Kings Cross......

No direct trains to Alexandra Palace (as noted by someone else above).

Train to Finsbury Park and changed onto a Moorgate - Alexandra Palace service (engineering work beyond Ally Pally)

Looked for free buses at the station to the venue but didn't see any so set off on foot.

Up the hill......still going up the hill......eventually got there at just after 1pm

So that's almost 3 hours to travel 30? miles as the crow flies!!!

To be fair the return journey was better and I did really enjoy the day.

Well done to all concerned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
I had a pretty dodgy journey to the venue though which was unfortunate......but any travel in London & the South East can be testing as we know....

Just for your amusement....

Left home in Dorking at just before 10.15 (OK not the earliest start as the clocks had gone forward)

Drove to Redhill (as Dorking - London trains generally are too slow) to catch the 10.53 to Victoria.

Arrived to find the 10.53 cancelled due to overrunning engineering work. Great!

Instead caught the 11.08 from Redhill (a Tonbridge - Victoria service)

Decided to jump off at East Croydon to switch to the Thameslink.

Good connection onto the Thameslink but then spent an age sitting at Blackfriars going nowhere.

Eventually, after almost 15mins off we go. I got off at St Pancras.

Short walk to Kings Cross......

No direct trains to Alexandra Palace (as noted by someone else above).

Train to Finsbury Park and changed onto a Moorgate - Alexandra Palace service (engineering work beyond Ally Pally)

Looked for free buses at the station to the venue but didn't see any so set off on foot.

Up the hill......still going up the hill......eventually got there at just after 1pm

So that's almost 3 hours to travel 30? miles as the crow flies!!!

Sounds like a normal situation as Redhill is our local station although we have season tickets form Dorking as they are cheaper than from Redhill.

May I take this opportunity to thank all of you who have made nice comments about Twickenham MRC's 7mm layout ADDISON ROAD, both here on RMweb and in person at the show.

post-4476-0-02145500-1522132989_thumb.jpg

May I go further and make a blatant sales pitch for membership of TDMRC in general and the AR group in particular. One of the main reasons any club displays its layouts at exhibitions is to attract new members. And so it is with TDMRC.the club 

The Addison Road group is basically four key members with maybe three part-time helpers and one of them lives in Chicago, USA!

As the layout needs a minimum of eight operators (one of whom can't manage Sundays) you can see that new members are very welcome.

So, if you like what you saw and you would like to know more about how YOU could become part of the team developing and exhibiting this layout do contact using the email chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com.

And if you think I was joking about having an active member living in Chicago, then let me add that his name is John and he joined when visiting the UK about 12 years ago and when he makes his annual visit to the UK he always brings something he's made for the layout with him - see below - and yes we have granted him Country Membership - although maybe we should re-name it 'Out of the country membership' !

post-4476-0-39121200-1522133910_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Closing time. As a former exhibition manager of a large show that closed at 6 when I first took it on I was constantly gripped by traders and some layouts about why they were hanging around till 6pm when there were only a few die hards left in the hall, none of whom were buying anything. In fact most shows start to die away by 4pm as people beetle off home for their meals, nights out etc etc. As pointed out already this show opens at 09:30 - most shows open at ten so that means putting extra time in at the front of the day - another hour on top of that and the exhibitors, traders and organisers would be climbing the walls. There may be a duty on the organisers to put a show on to the public but theres equally a duty to look after the people who work these shows, and to be honest Ally Pally has struck the right balance with this.

As for the show, it was excellent, Some exceptionally good layouts this year, no names n pack drill but Kensington Addison Road blew me away, that is quality 7mm modelling at its best. Yes there may be a lot of box shifters but there's a lot of other traders who cover most bases as well  - the bits and bobs needed for completion of my layout were easily obtained. As an exhibitor its well run, well organised, and always a pleasure to bring a layout there.

You are spot on with the times, to be quite honest at some smaller shows where layouts may arrive on the day a 10 am start is advisable. The last half hour at a show drags as its mostly the stragglers who are around. The 4.30 pm end on Sunday again was spot on, probably helped by the smaller number of visitors being able to move around/be served much quicker.

I'm surprised how many people have been attempting to use Alexandra Palace mainline station, which has a pretty woeful service at the best of times.

Wood Green on the Piccadilly line is only three or four minutes further on the bus (both the W3 and the shuttle bus) and has an exponentially better service, including direct from Kings Cross, if you end up there. The Victoria line at Finsbury park (the terminus of the W3) has an even better tube service, although fewer buses.

It sounds like some of you have ended up with very convoluted routes when changing to either of these tube lines at Kings Cross would have been much easier and quicker.

Coming from East Croydon, via Victoria, Victoria then Piccadilly lines, and the W3 from Wood Green, took me less than hour door to door.

Justin

• RMweb Premium

Stay open until 6 pm someone would want 7 pm.

Opening times at big shows are slowly creeping the other way. 9.30 for advanced ticket holders seems to be getting more common. On Saturday I was making my way back to the layout at opening time, I was quite close to the entrance. I was physically barged by a few advanced ticket holders in such a hurry to get to ???????? It wasn't the layout I was operating.

As a visitor I like to arrive mid morning. I can't be bothered with getting up too early and rushing to see a model railway exhibition. Plus there is not normally a queue of middle/old age men moaning that they are waiting and can't they open early. Then leave towards the end having not rushed around but taken my time and hopefully had a good chat with other modellers.

If the rush is for the bargains, think again if anything is worth having the exhibitors have brought it on the Friday night when setting up. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Remember that some of the larger stands / club vehicles will not be on the road until 7pm or later on the Sunday, with long drives home and then off-loading the lorry before the crew can go home. I don't know what time the crews from Grantham and Calcutta Sidings got home last night - I suspect, around midnight.

Pretty well spot on. We left just before 7, I dropped my passenger shortly after midnight and once the car was unloaded it was five to one when I got into bed.

Don't tell me trainspotting hoodie available soon   :jester:

Precisely that; it was the closest thing to a 1970s anorak I'd got at the weekend. Phil went to the lengths of getting Nick Freezer to equip me with a Zenit EM to take me back to the end of a 1970s platform.

• Like 3