The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Its been very interesting catching up on this 'new' thread. so to add something different - just coming up to 35 years as a first aider and infrequently trombone 'player' - early days was brass banding.  Had a 350 RE bullet but it 'broke' and then the size limit came in for learners before repair so never rode again. 

Cheers Peter, good to see you on here, BUT DON'T bring your Trombone up to the Club, Hahahaha :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

I have one all encompassing hobby that fills my life with wonderment that I could have missed so much enjoyment for the majority of my years so far.

I dress as a woman and I do that as often as I can and, at the moment that is about once or twice a week.

I meet huge resistance from my wife and all the way to total strangers when I am out and about as Ava.

I positively love it!!! It is actually harmless and the euphoria I get when dressed far outweighs any pitfalls.

There aren't many hobbies that you can say that about.

I suppose the whole scene appeals to something within me that craves the spectacle and for me, therapeutic value equals boredom and I have never been a collector or hoarder. I do like to own nice things though and my wardrobe reflects that.

So does my collection of pics of me dressed and my friends list runs to several hundred of which maybe 20 are lifelong and enormously comforting.

• Like 2

How about collecting ashtrays..?

Not any old ashtrays but those that advertise cigarettes?

Out of this my favourite country is Germany and the time, between the wars..

Here is a small sample of a collection of over 500..

post-6939-0-71343600-1514412515_thumb.jpg

post-6939-0-37391300-1514412560_thumb.jpg

and did I mention Camels..

post-6939-0-36804100-1514412635_thumb.jpg

If you actually are mad enough to want to see more - do ask!

• Like 8

How about collecting ashtrays..?

Not any old ashtrays but those that advertise cigarettes?

Out of this my favourite country is Germany and the time, between the wars..

Here is a small sample of a collection of over 500..

attachicon.gifCaseAA05thNovember2017.jpg

attachicon.gifCaseAB05thNovember2017web.jpg

and did I mention Camels..

attachicon.gifCamelWallAC10thNov2017.jpg

If you actually are mad enough to want to see more - do ask!

Thanks Bill, Well as the Kinks said, You really got me, :O  this has blown me away, something I would never have thought of, and as for the Camels, they look terrific Bill.

Thanks for the pics, and if you wish to post more pics, then please do.

• Like 1

My other hobby is ex-military vehicles, so I have restored My Morris Commercial C9/B from scrap to the completed vehicle and My pet Bedford

Wow, Even being an Ex Mechanic, I wouldn't know where to start, Superb, Sir, respect to you for that.

Thanks Bill, Well as the Kinks said, You really got me, :O  this has blown me away, something I would never have thought of, and as for the Camels, they look terrific Bill.

Thanks for the pics, and if you wish to post more pics, then please do.

Taking you at your word, I thought i would take a slightly different tack.

With the ashtrays and the camels come a whole load of ephemera..

From advertising to tin cans that provide some essential background and lend some depth to the ashtray collection..

So here is the other side..

One of my favourite cigarette advertisements, some may see why.

post-6939-0-75026300-1514475783_thumb.jpg

The same artist, Hans Rudi Ernst  had previously come up with this gem urging all to smoke before getting out of bed in the morning..

post-6939-0-31626300-1514475950_thumb.jpg

Not forgetting to have another before getting dressed..

post-6939-0-28565500-1514475997_thumb.jpg

And one hopes she was not smoking one of these..

post-6939-0-13920400-1514476115_thumb.jpg

But one of these..

post-6939-0-86864800-1514476251_thumb.jpg

And then in the 20's the German advertisers got heavily into Art Deco

post-6939-0-26682700-1514476189_thumb.jpg

So all in all there is a secret side to our German friends that is both colourful and adventurous that sometimes gets hidden..

When we mistakenly stereotype another race, we can miss out on its richness and even its rightness.

What can you say when someone builds a cigarette factory like this right by the Elbe in Dresden..

post-6939-0-26713800-1514477598_thumb.jpg

An what's more to like when a railway track passes right in front of it..

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I used to collect money. More importantly, £10 & 20 pound notes.

It used to have quite an extensive collection, but the wife sold it off.....

Now I play a broken drum. You can't beat it.......

Now I pursue a harmless hobby; number spotting.

If I can find 37 & 961, I'll have the set!

• RMweb Premium

My other hobby is ex-military vehicles, so I have restored My Morris Commercial C9/B from scrap to the completed vehicle and My pet Bedford

Hi

I am intrigued by the Bedford, it looks great. Is it a ML or MSC or am I wrong?  The body is one I have not seen on a ML or MSC before and it has WD type wheels which again to me is unusual. You have seen my drawing of the Bofors SP Morris. I have done drawings of many of the Bedford 30cwt trucks, I would like to add yours to my collection.

post-16423-0-22970600-1514481820_thumb.png

post-16423-0-23124400-1514481829_thumb.png

Thanks

• Like 5

Taking you at your word, I thought i would take a slightly different tack.

With the ashtrays and the camels come a whole load of ephemera..

From advertising to tin cans that provide some essential background and lend some depth to the ashtray collection..

So here is the other side..

One of my favourite cigarette advertisements, some may see why.

attachicon.gifBatschariXmasSoldatAdSSWeb.jpg

The same artist, Hans Rudi Ernst  had previously come up with this gem urging all to smoke before getting out of bed in the morning..

attachicon.gifBatschariMercededInBedSSWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifBatschariKimonoXCweb.jpg

attachicon.gifBatschariRadiumZigTinBBweb.jpg

But one of these..

attachicon.gifjasmatzipteokkWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifZirZi-ExtraTinHHWeb.jpg

So all in all there is a secret side to our German friends that is both colourful and adventurous that sometimes gets hidden..

When we mistakenly stereotype another race, we can miss out on its richness and even its rightness.

What can you say when someone builds a cigarette factory like this right by the Elbe in Dresden..

attachicon.gifYenidzeSalemFactoryCCweb.jpg

An what's more to like when a railway track passes right in front of it..

Cheers Bill, Not seen any of those before. Thanks.

I used to collect money. More importantly, £10 & 20 pound notes.

It used to have quite an extensive collection, but the wife sold it off.....

Now I play a broken drum. You can't beat it.......

Now I pursue a harmless hobby; number spotting.

If I can find 37 & 961, I'll have the set!

Almost sounds like the ideal hobby, apart from the last bit, hahhah.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi

I am intrigued by the Bedford, it looks great. Is it a ML or MSC or am I wrong?  The body is one I have not seen on a ML or MSC before and it has WD type wheels which again to me is unusual. You have seen my drawing of the Bofors SP Morris. I have done drawings of many of the Bedford 30cwt trucks, I would like to add yours to my collection.

attachicon.gifbedford 30 cwt pt1.png

attachicon.gifbedford 30 cwt pt2.png

Thanks

Hi Clive

My little Bedford started off life as a K type furniture van, however by the time I got hold of her the the disc wheels were beyond dangerous and the van body had died as a chicken coop.

In order to save the poor thing the rear axle and military wheels were recovered from a very scrap Bedford OX, the rear body, tilt and frame I made myself along with the pseudo military style lockers.

The cab need some seventy five pieces put back into it, to replace parts devoured by rust worm, and the cab back is now solid rather than two pieces spot welded together, (always a weak point for Bedford longevity).

Just to complete the amalgam the mud flaps and parts of the spare wheel carrier and frame came from the Bedford QL tanker blown up in the film Battle of Britain.

She is now closer to Military M type, it was either all of the above or scrap and although I am totally biased I do think she looks pretty.

Gareth

If you still want to add her to your 'collection' please feel free I have more photos if you like

Edited by t8hants

...One of my favourite cigarette advertisements, some may see why.

attachicon.gifBatschariXmasSoldatAdSSWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifBatschariMercededInBedSSWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifBatschariKimonoXCweb.jpg

attachicon.gifBatschariRadiumZigTinBBweb.jpg

But one of these..

attachicon.gifjasmatzipteokkWeb.jpg

attachicon.gifZirZi-ExtraTinHHWeb.jpg

So all in all there is a secret side to our German friends that is both colourful and adventurous ....

I'm not sure that it was all that secret. Weimar Germany, despite its economic problems, managed to develop a seriously creative and artistic industry - much has been written about its contribution to cabaret and its famously-louche/decadent atmosphere. The cigarette memorabilia is very much a reflection of that era.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the NSDAP came along and stamped on it, as it did many other things.

I'm not sure that it was all that secret. Weimar Germany, despite its economic problems, managed to develop a seriously creative and artistic industry - much has been written about its contribution to cabaret and its famously-louche/decadent atmosphere. The cigarette memorabilia is very much a reflection of that era.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the NSDAP came along and stamped on it, as it did many other things.

And not only that the Sturmabteilung went into the cigarette business..

Which in the end, because of their sales tactics, got them into a whole load of hot water with the party..

Probably because someone high up did not smoke and because it was making the brown-shirts rich.

In fact it might well have been a contributing factor to the demise of Ernst Röhm..

Their advertising was typically pretty grim..

post-6939-0-11715200-1514514898.jpg

And probably caused some well known high-up person in the Party to blow a gasket,

When he saw his revered symbol being used to promote, of all things, smoking!

. . . 

And some of their brands lacked any imagination

post-6939-0-68879200-1514515042_thumb.jpg

And this was their premium product!

When the S.A, started destroying Reemtsma's considerable cigarette business, Herr Reemtsma paid a visit to the fixer in chief - Goering.

He  paid a few million marks to a charity of Goering's choosing..

And the problem miraculously went away..

Things were never quite the same, in more ways than one, for the S.A. after that..

Did they produce an ashtray to help promote their second lethal product?

Yes they did..

It was made out of brass and either chrome or nickel plated..

Around the rim It carried the names of the four cigarette brands they produced ..

Sturm, Trommler, neue Front and Alarm..

Hardly names to be associated with a quiet relaxing smoke..!

Edited by Bill
  • Informative/Useful 1

Now andy

Interesting topic you’ve started

I also play guitar,have done for about the last 20 years

I own an epiphone sheraton late 90s model & an epiphone hummingbird

96A1635E-31EF-4FD4-B289-47E035F74F7E_zps

My other hobby to that...

CA04551C-A633-47E0-A78B-B457A54C4381_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not so much stamped on it but brought about a considerable stylistic change with a change in subject emphasis as well.  Dresden was of course one of the major centres of cigarette manufacture in Germany, very much the German equivalent of Bristol and Nottingham in that respect.

Now andy

Interesting topic you’ve started

I also play guitar,have done for about the last 20 years

I own an epiphone sheraton late 90s model & an epiphone hummingbird

96A1635E-31EF-4FD4-B289-47E035F74F7E_zps

My other hobby to that...

CA04551C-A633-47E0-A78B-B457A54C4381_zps

Cheers

Ben

Crikes Ben, Obviously I love the Guitars, two excellent models, and nice little Marshall Mini Stack as well, but the Volvo, wow what splendid nick, did you restore it yourself?

I did all the mechanical work pal,unfortunately had to pay for paint and welding work as I simply cant do it!

Forgot about that mini marshall amp,i also have a vox ac30 which I normally use until the missus starts whinging!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 4

My normal job turned into a hobby. I use to work for landrover as a tech back when the td5 came out (1998) I was there for 5 years enjoyed every minute until the company sold there dealerships to pendragon group and all the staff were told that they had there own staff.

So that was that I ended up working for a recovery company and then to Vauxhall before leaving the trade and going to work for network rail as a signaller.

But I still keep my hand in on the motor trade my mate rolled his disco 2 td5 the chassis and all the running gear is fine but the body was a mess.

He bought a disco 53 plate body mint but the chassis was an mot failure with rot all over it.

So we swapped the body onto the rolled disco.

I sometimes help out on the spanners when I can still.

post-12366-0-54174500-1514554264_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-73470500-1514554370_thumb.jpg

post-12366-0-05871200-1514554384_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

...an ashtray to help promote their second lethal product?

Yes they did..

It was made out of brass and either chrome or nickel plated..

Around the rim It carried the names of the four cigarette brands they produced ..

Sturm, Trommler, neue Front and Alarm..

Hardly names to be associated with a quiet relaxing smoke..!

An early form of "smoking is bad for you"?

I did all the mechanical work pal,unfortunately had to pay for paint and welding work as I simply cant do it!

Forgot about that mini marshall amp,i also have a vox ac30 which I normally use until the missus starts whinging!

Cheers

Ben

AC 30, my dream Amp. especially as I did a lot of Shadows stuff.

Your Paint people did a wonderful job, as did you with the mechanical side of things.

My normal job turned into a hobby. I use to work for landrover as a tech back when the td5 came out (1998) I was there for 5 years enjoyed every minute until the company sold there dealerships to pendragon group and all the staff were told that they had there own staff.

So that was that I ended up working for a recovery company and then to Vauxhall before leaving the trade and going to work for network rail as a signaller.

But I still keep my hand in on the motor trade my mate rolled his disco 2 td5 the chassis and all the running gear is fine but the body was a mess.

He bought a disco 53 plate body mint but the chassis was an mot failure with rot all over it.

So we swapped the body onto the rolled disco.

I sometimes help out on the spanners when I can still.

attachicon.gifIMG_4263.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4264.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4265.JPG

Wouldn't mind that workshop as a Hobby Room, :sungum: especially for the Railway, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: