The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any more Morris Dancers out there?

Funny you should say that, my maternal grandparents lived in Abbots Bromley for the few years before they passed away in the 1970's. The yearly 'Horn Dance' would attract many groups of Morris Dancers, and thousands of people from all over the world, the place was always packed.

• Like 1

My other main hobby is 'work'.  Being in the real rail industry is good for me.  I had a go at retiring in 2013 and it was crap.  I love the  work and the contacts within industry.  The rail industry is quite incestuous, you meet the same people but working for different companies.....

My other interest is cooking.  My favourite being authentic curries from scratch, I like flavourness rather that hot hot hot for hots sake

• Like 5

The 7.62mm round went through the tree and would go through the ambusher taking half the tree with it.  Thankfully we never had to use them in anger.

I always thought it was damn silly of the Army to patrol Heathrow 30 years ago with 7.62 SLR's.  But since finding out that the mags on the rifles were empty, I've often wondered whether that was even dafter ...

Any more Morris Dancers out there?

I used to be a big fan of Border and Molly, hanky-waving not so much.  Having said that, I was at one time a member of the Morris Federation, from an esteemed fellow-member of which I got the ultimate Morris joke ...

Q Why do Morris dancers wear bells?

A  So they can annoy the blind as well.

• RMweb Gold

Very envious of the arty crowd on here...having the art skills of a sack of spuds I am in awe of what they can achieve. As I enjoy a spot of military diorama making in 1/35th scale this is made doubly hard by said skill deficit. At least I can sometimes slavishly copy a photo to show me the way.

The real biggy of course, as can be seen from the avatar, is driving steam locos on the Mid Hants Railway where I have volunteered for 30 years. I'm ashamed to say that as I get older I don't get up there as much to partake in the restoration side of things but, as I enjoy that as much as I do driving the things then I hope to remedy that in the New Year.

I also am a fan of using vintage film cameras to take black and white photos. I have a couple of medium format Roliieflexes and a Leica 35mm rangefinder to facilitate this...mixed results, I refer you to my first sentence m'lud.

All in all enough to keep me busy in my retirement, the best job I've ever had...

• Like 7

Very envious of the arty crowd on here...having the art skills of a sack of spuds I am in awe of what they can achieve. As I enjoy a spot of military diorama making in 1/35th scale this is made doubly hard by said skill deficit. At least I can sometimes slavishly copy a photo to show me the way.

The real biggy of course, as can be seen from the avatar, is driving steam locos on the Mid Hants Railway where I have volunteered for 30 years. I'm ashamed to say that as I get older I don't get up there as much to partake in the restoration side of things but, as I enjoy that as much as I do driving the things then I hope to remedy that in the New Year.

I also am a fan of using vintage film cameras to take black and white photos. I have a couple of medium format Roliieflexes and a Leica 35mm rangefinder to facilitate this...mixed results, I refer you to my first sentence m'lud.

All in all enough to keep me busy in my retirement, the best job I've ever had...

You Must have driven me many times Phil when I lived at Waterlooville. The Mid Hants was my Local, and Bodmin my favourite until I moved up here in 2005, glad you getting a lot of retirement satisfaction from it.

• Like 4

Phil, art is interesting and bears some resemblance to railway modelling. For my own technique (see post #6) I will generally sketch a landscape on the canvas prior to painting. This is because landscapes have considerable leeway and unless it is a very distinctive building or similar a free hand impression is generally good enough. This might equate to a freelance loco where as long as appropriate parts, cab, cylinders, etc are roughly in proportion and in the right places then it should be acceptable.

However, when it comes to a subject that is recognizable such as a specific vehicle, aircraft or person it is critical to get the shape and features in correct size and proportion; just as you would in building a scale locomotive. For this I will use tracing paper and/or a projector (epidiascope). Or I may just use a grid. Professional artists, for whome time is money (as with professional model makers) use as many short cuts as possible.

For me getting the drawing on the canvas is the relatively easy bit, adding the colour is a bit more tricky which is one of the reasons I use acrylics - if I don't like the colour I wait five minutes and paint over. You can't really do that with watercolours, you have to get it right first time!

So, there is nothing wrong with copying as most art is copied - I have great respect for artists who freelance pictures as it requires considerable imagination.

Andrew, I like your work and would be interested to hear your approach and technique.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 6

Phil, art is interesting and bears some resemblance to railway modelling. For my own technique (see post #6) I will generally sketch a landscape on the canvas prior to painting. This is because landscapes have considerable leeway and unless it is a very distinctive building or similar a free hand impression is generally good enough. This might equate to a freelance loco where as long as appropriate parts, cab, cylinders, etc are roughly in proportion and in the right places then it should be acceptable.

However, when it comes to a subject that is recognizable such as a specific vehicle, aircraft or person it is critical to get the shape and features in correct size and proportion; just as you would in building a scale locomotive. For this I will use tracing paper and/or a projector (epidiascope). Or I may just use a grid. Professional artists, for whome time is money (as with professional model makers) use as many short cuts as possible.

For me getting the drawing on the canvas is the relatively easy bit, adding the colour is a bit more tricky which is one of the reasons I use acrylics - if I don't like the colour I wait five minutes and paint over. You can't really do that with watercolours, you have to get it right first time!

So, there is nothing wrong with copying as most art is copied - I have great respect for artists who freelance pictures as it requires considerable imagination.

Andrew, I like your work and would be interested to hear your approach and technique.

Your right about copying, here is the one I finished yesterday with the Photo that inspired it, NOTE, not a copy, just an inspiration.

post-9335-0-98077900-1514231707_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02309200-1514231756_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Collecting and researching General Service Medals is my main hobby. This example is a fine, quite long and wide service medal to a Private in the 1st. Argyles. The South Arabia clasp shows that he saw service with Mad Mitch in Aden, and would have patrolled the Crater. This is a valuable medal [because of the multiple clasps] and probably the star of my collection to date.

39294006231_0433b5cb5e_z.jpg

Another interesting group:

25426143928_0e728a4183_z.jpg

A group of 6 to a WO2 in the RA who was present at the Fall of France, taken prisoner at the Fall of Singapore and so is the only Japanese POW in my collection too. This came with his Red Book [service record].

Having been collecting for a few decades, my collection is quite large. This is part of it! I particularly like acquiring GSMs with associated ephemera: photographs, service records, dog tags and the like. It adds hugely to the interest and make research easier.

39265432762_75c5bd7ca0_z.jpg

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Merry Morning Reorte ? is that a Coal, or Tin Mine, where abouts in the UK are you from, just roughly will do) I can't tell from the Rocks / Blocks around the entrance.

The picture is outside Smallcleugh Mine at Nenthead (north Pennines), a lead mine. Most of the ones I've been down are lead, with a few others - copper, zinc, barytes, graphite. They've all been in the Lakes or North Pennines (mostly Lakes). As for where I'm from I've moved around too much to be able to meaningfully answer that, but mostly northern England. I wouldn't want to go in an old coal mine, by all accounts they're lethal places.

Edited by Reorte

Monty Python springs to mind here.  The bit where one contestant lists his hobbies as "golf, masterb*tion, and strangling animals".

I was pressurised to apply for an internal position that I did not want but did so to show willing.  I was asked about my hobbies and was tempted to use the above but thought better of it...............................just in case they happened to be the interviewer's hobbies and he offered me the job......................   :D

• Like 3

Another one for old Landrovers, originally restored by me in the late 90s

post-10324-0-17651400-1514241486.jpg

And under restoration for the second time with a new replica chassis.

post-10324-0-42616600-1514241448.jpg

I've owned this 1966 Series 2A for 25 years now and would love to have the time to finish and enjoy it once again.

Before the Landie I had restored a 1943 David Brown VAC1 tractor then a BMB President tractor both now gone to other owners so I'm now an ex-tractor fan.......

Another hobby was working as an extra and then supporting artist in TV and films since 2002 but have recently given it up due to being too busy casting buffers for you lot.

I listen to Rock and Prog music and would love to be able to play the guitar, Fiona has tried to teach me but my fingers just won't bend round the fret, Fiona on the other hand can play a mean tune on her 6 string and 12 string acoustics' and her new electric guitar as well as her keyboard.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked only football, me, I can't be bothered with the whole bunch of overpayed pansies. Now rugby, that's a man's game. Just my opinion.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 14

I have done a few Lannys one 110 300 tdi and two 90 td5. Wish I'd kept the 110 it was a good one with new galve chassis and a new bulkhead.

I use to play rugby union until a few months ago. I have said in the new year I will go back playing hope fully.

I follow both union and league but I'm more into union.

Mark

• Like 3

Collecting and researching General Service Medals is my main hobby. This example is a fine long-service award to a Private in the 1st. Argyles. The South Arabia clasp shows that he saw service with Mad Mitch in Aden, and would have patrolled the Crater. This is a valuable medal [because of the multiple clasps] and probably the star of my collection to date.

39294006231_0433b5cb5e_z.jpg

Another interesting group:

25426143928_0e728a4183_z.jpg

A group of 6 to a WO2 in the RA who was present at the Fall of France, taken prisoner at the Fall of Singapore and so is the only Japanese POW in my collection too. This came with his Red Book [service record].

Having been collecting for a few decades, my collection is quite large. This is part of it! I particularly like acquiring GSMs with associated ephemera: photographs, service records, dog tags and the like. It adds hugely to the interest and make research easier.

39265432762_75c5bd7ca0_z.jpg

Tony

Crickey Tony, that really is an amazing collection, and one that can be passed on to future generations and tells a story, well done.

• Like 3

Monty Python springs to mind here.  The bit where one contestant lists his hobbies as "golf, masterb*tion, and strangling animals".

I was pressurised to apply for an internal position that I did not want but did so to show willing.  I was asked about my hobbies and was tempted to use the above but thought better of it...............................just in case they happened to be the interviewer's hobbies and he offered me the job......................   :D

At an interview once I was asked about my Hobbies and I said Model Railways, the Managing Director said; what scale do you model in? OO I replied, to which he said; Oh, I do O Gauge, I still got the Job, hahha.

• Like 8

Another one for old Landrovers, originally restored by me in the late 90s

attachicon.gifP1010135.jpg

And under restoration for the second time with a new replica chassis.

attachicon.gife landie pics 1.jpg

I've owned this 1966 Series 2A for 25 years now and would love to have the time to finish and enjoy it once again.

Before the Landie I had restored a 1943 David Brown VAC1 tractor then a BMB President tractor both now gone to other owners so I'm now an ex-tractor fan.......

Another hobby was working as an extra and then supporting artist in TV and films since 2002 but have recently given it up due to being too busy casting buffers for you lot.

I listen to Rock and Prog music and would love to be able to play the guitar, Fiona has tried to teach me but my fingers just won't bend round the fret, Fiona on the other hand can play a mean tune on her 6 string and 12 string acoustics' and her new electric guitar as well as her keyboard.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked only football, me, I can't be bothered with the whole bunch of overpayed pansies. Now rugby, that's a man's game. Just my opinion.

Dave Franks.

Thanks Dave, another Landie ite, and restorer ite, it must be something in the Genes of future Railway Modellers from way back in time.

If you saw a kid today, tinkering with a Tractor or Land Rover, or Playing Guitar you could say; I'll get you a Train Set for next Christmas, hahhah

• Like 1

I have done a few Lannys one 110 300 tdi and two 90 td5. Wish I'd kept the 110 it was a good one with new galve chassis and a new bulkhead.

I use to play rugby union until a few months ago. I have said in the new year I will go back playing hope fully.

I follow both union and league but I'm more into union.

Mark

EEEKKKK Here's another Landie ite, Cheers Mark, as for Rugby, I enjoy watching big games, but if your in the Union, don't go on Strike mate, :O ahhaha, SORRY :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

• Like 1