The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Monty Python springs to mind here.  The bit where one contestant lists his hobbies as "golf, masterb*tion, and strangling animals".

I was pressurised to apply for an internal position that I did not want but did so to show willing.  I was asked about my hobbies and was tempted to use the above but thought better of it...............................just in case they happened to be the interviewer's hobbies and he offered me the job......................   :D

I suspect you'd probably only run into real drama if you admitted to partaking in all three simultaneously...

• RMweb Premium

Collecting and researching General Service Medals is my main hobby. This example is a fine, quite long and wide service medal to a Private in the 1st. Argyles. The South Arabia clasp shows that he saw service with Mad Mitch in Aden, and would have patrolled the Crater. This is a valuable medal [because of the multiple clasps] and probably the star of my collection to date.

39294006231_0433b5cb5e_z.jpg

Another interesting group:

25426143928_0e728a4183_z.jpg

A group of 6 to a WO2 in the RA who was present at the Fall of France, taken prisoner at the Fall of Singapore and so is the only Japanese POW in my collection too. This came with his Red Book [service record].

Having been collecting for a few decades, my collection is quite large. This is part of it! I particularly like acquiring GSMs with associated ephemera: photographs, service records, dog tags and the like. It adds hugely to the interest and make research easier.

39265432762_75c5bd7ca0_z.jpg

Tony

Hi Tony

I only have a small collection of medals, they all have a common theme the surname is Mortimore.

post-16423-0-56198100-1514277197.jpg

George Mortimore, Hampshire Regiment

post-16423-0-89510100-1514277258.jpg

Charles Mortimore Royal Flying Corps, WW1

post-16423-0-92866100-1514277314.jpg

Charles Mortimore, Royal Airforce, WW2

post-16423-0-65606100-1514277390.jpg

post-16423-0-75633900-1514277419.jpg

Douglas Mortimore, Royal Naval Patrol Service

post-16423-0-94601900-1514277499.jpg

Clive Mortimore, REME

My great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father and my medals.

• Like 18

Hi Tony

I only have a small collection of medals, they all have a common theme the surname is Mortimore.

attachicon.gifGGdad medal.jpg

George Mortimore, Hampshire Regiment

attachicon.gifGdad w1 medal.jpg

Charles Mortimore Royal Flying Corps, WW1

attachicon.gifGdad w2 medal.jpg

Charles Mortimore, Royal Airforce, WW2

attachicon.gifdad 1 medal.jpg

attachicon.gifdad 2 medal.jpg

Douglas Mortimore, Royal Naval Patrol Service

attachicon.gifmy medal.jpg

Clive Mortimore, REME

My great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father and my medals.

All earned and worn with PRIDE no doubt Clive.

Apart from my love of golf, these boys and girls keep me calm and relaxed in this crazy world of ours....

Not only do the fish keep me busy, the wildlife a pond brings in is worth all the effort. 

post-6950-0-64106500-1514284986_thumb.jpg

None of them cost more than a few quid as I buy them when they are just a few inches long and then feed them...and feed them...and feed them.  

post-6950-0-48121200-1514285898_thumb.jpg

Ducks are regular visitors, but this one brought her family as well.  Still no idea how they got here as a group as the garden is fully fenced.

post-6950-0-98322000-1514285071_thumb.jpg

...and these are regulars every summer.

post-6950-0-59221500-1514285143_thumb.jpg

We were lucky enough to have one Kingfisher a few years ago, but haven't seen one since.

post-6950-0-95676600-1514285221_thumb.jpg

...and this larger visitor popped in for a wander round.

post-6950-0-98609900-1514285269_thumb.jpg

Heron's are always a problem and this one sneaked in under the wire and helped himself.

post-6950-0-04878200-1514285326_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Apart from my love of golf, these boys and girls keep me calm and relaxed in this crazy world of ours....

Not only do the fish keep me busy, the wildlife a pond brings in is worth all the effort. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5501.jpg

None of them cost more than a few quid as I buy them when they are just a few inches long and then feed them...and feed them...and feed them.  

attachicon.gifDSC_0024.jpg

Ducks are regular visitors, but this one brought her family as well.  Still no idea how they got here as a group as the garden is fully fenced.

attachicon.gifDSC_0188.jpg

attachicon.gif2002_0821_134247AA.jpg

We were lucky enough to have one Kingfisher a few years ago, but haven't seen one since.

attachicon.gifIMG_6119.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF5148.jpg

Heron's are always a problem and this one sneaked in under the wire and helped himself.

attachicon.gifDSC_0156.jpg

Wow Gordon they look great.

When I lived in Essex we had a small pond inhabited by cheap five for a fiver Goldfish form Pets at Home. They started to breed and I use to enjoy watching  not only the big fish (some were about 10 inches long) but also the fry when they hatched. On a nice warm afternoon sitting by the pond is very relaxing, especially when we had tadpoles and little frogs as well.

Until we were visited by a Heron. I went out to feed the fish and the pond was nearly empty, a few immature black Goldfish left.

Gus the Gun Dog felt very put out when I placed a sign outside "For sale one guard dog (retired)."

• Like 3

Collecting and researching General Service Medals is my main hobby. This example is a fine, quite long and wide service medal to a Private in the 1st. Argyles. The South Arabia clasp shows that he saw service with Mad Mitch in Aden, and would have patrolled the Crater. This is a valuable medal [because of the multiple clasps] and probably the star of my collection to date.

39294006231_0433b5cb5e_z.jpg

Another interesting group:

25426143928_0e728a4183_z.jpg

A group of 6 to a WO2 in the RA who was present at the Fall of France, taken prisoner at the Fall of Singapore and so is the only Japanese POW in my collection too. This came with his Red Book [service record].

Having been collecting for a few decades, my collection is quite large. This is part of it! I particularly like acquiring GSMs with associated ephemera: photographs, service records, dog tags and the like. It adds hugely to the interest and make research easier.

39265432762_75c5bd7ca0_z.jpg

Tony

Reminds me of three of our retired Drivers at Rugby, all keen military memorabilia collectors, one only collected British WW1 and WW2 items while the other two, who are brothers, only collected German items. The brothers brought in some of their items one afternoon and I was fascinated by the breadth and depth of their knowledge, they had hundreds of Waffen SS personal's identity cards and papers, medals, special passes, family photographs etc, it made me realise what a massive 'machine' the Nazi regime was in its time.

Edited by Rugd1022

.....the other two, who are brothers, only collected German items. The brothers brought in some of their items one afternoon and I was fascinated by the breadth and depth of their knowledge, they had hundreds of Waffen SS personal's identity cards and papers, medals, special passes, family photographs etc, it made me realise what a massive 'machine' the Nazi regime was in its time.

Father Ted: You don't have anything from the Allied side?

Father Fitzpatrick: No, no, that sort of thing wouldn't interest me at all, I'm afraid....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Other interests include photography and bird watching, but over last couple of years have got into ruining perfectly good bits of wood and turning them into shavings. I started out with pen turning and am slowly moving onto other things, the photos show a range of pen types plus things like key rings, the bowl is from a 10in ash blank and has been coloured using sprint stains.post-1628-0-42563300-1514293405_thumb.jpgpost-1628-0-94454000-1514293436_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Well, this is the other hobby, makes model purchases much more justifiable, at least thats what I told my now ex Mrs TT3...

1977 MGB

attachicon.gifIMG20171027102041.jpg

1978 Triumph 2500S

attachicon.gif IMG20171020154811.jpg

1981 Peugeot 504 GLD and 1978 Mercedes 300D

attachicon.gifIMG20171014150448.jpg

These make a much quieter company in the house

attachicon.gifIMG20171224201617.jpg

This, perhaps less so

attachicon.gifIMG20171224202158.jpg

A 300D proper gentlemans carriage, piccies please!
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_5501.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0024.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0188.jpg

attachicon.gif2002_0821_134247AA.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6119.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF5148.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0156.jpg

Superb Gordon, and glad to see the leak got sorted earlier in the year, or was that last year / 2015? We had a small pond with Goldfish and a 5 tier waterfall, and watching the Birds coming down to wash under it was fascinating. We did have the Heron problem, and ended up putting netting over the whole thing.

My hobbies all revolve around transport  --  

Cruise Ships

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

Canals and their boats.

attachicon.gifSAM_0580.JPG

Road Transport

attachicon.gifSAM_1056.JPG

Trams

attachicon.gifSAM_1268.JPG

Buses

attachicon.gifSAM_0974.JPG

and Railways

attachicon.gifSAM_0582.JPG

That's nice and varied, I must admit, I do like sitting by the Canal and watching and listening to the Boats going by. very relaxing indeed.

• Like 1

Other interests include photography and bird watching, but over last couple of years have got into ruining perfectly good bits of wood and turning them into shavings. I started out with pen turning and am slowly moving onto other things, the photos show a range of pen types plus things like key rings, the bowl is from a 10in ash blank and has been coloured using sprint stains.attachicon.gifIMG_0300.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0256.JPG

Mike, The Pens look fantastic, and the grain and wood colouring in the Bowls looks terrific. Yet another interesting Hobby.

About 6 years ago I went with some friends on the grand union canal ( yet another union ) ha ha.

We went from braunstone to Leighton buzzard and it was 6 days of just chilling and drinking mythos beer. Just going at walking pace though the countryside was relaxing. I need a break from Lisa ( the other half ) ha ha

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It strikes me that some of you have too much time on your hands, :no:

I retired earlier this year for the third time!  Since then I have returned to model railways and am trying to learn new skills to stop me from getting bored and becoming a nuisance at home.  In the better weather I have been drafted into the labour force for the garden but now the weather has turned I have no excuse not to get on with the layout.

We lost our Chocolate Labrador earlier this year so missing out on much needed exercise with not taking him out.  My only other hobby is this.

post-6685-0-38843400-1514304903_thumb.jpg

Still use it in the winter and use it to get to Barnetby or elsewhere nearby to photograph trains as and when I can.

Other than that I suppose the only other thing I am any good at all at is prevarication!

Some excellent examples of peoples skills in this thread and a credit to you all.  Inspiration as well so thanks for the thread Andy.

• Like 3

It strikes me that some of you have too much time on your hands, :no:

I retired earlier this year for the third time!  Since then I have returned to model railways and am trying to learn new skills to stop me from getting bored and becoming a nuisance at home.  In the better weather I have been drafted into the labour force for the garden but now the weather has turned I have no excuse not to get on with the layout.

We lost our Chocolate Labrador earlier this year so missing out on much needed exercise with not taking him out.  My only other hobby is this.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170222_122031.jpg

Still use it in the winter and use it to get to Barnetby or elsewhere nearby to photograph trains as and when I can.

Other than that I suppose the only other thing I am any good at all at is prevarication!

Some excellent examples of peoples skills in this thread and a credit to you all.  Inspiration as well so thanks for the thread Andy.

Thanks Chris, Getting out with our Greyhound keeps my bad Hips and Knees moving, if I sit for to long, I seize up. I don't know what I'll do when She goes.

Good looking Beast you have there as well.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, The Pens look fantastic, and the grain and wood colouring in the Bowls looks terrific. Yet another interesting Hobby.

Thanks Andy, I did not want to add the colour to the bowl at first as I liked the grain pattern so much but the bowl was a commission and the person in question had asked for the colour effect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow! As if the bikes weren't enough it looks like you even have time to mow the lawn. Now that really does put some of us to shame !

There's an ulterior motive - if I look after the lawn, it means I can play with my garden railway!

I do actually enjoy a bit of gardening, but as we both work it has to be kept simple.  There's koi in the pond too.

post-10195-0-63870600-1514319215_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Its been very interesting catching up on this 'new' thread. so to add something different - just coming up to 35 years as a first aider and infrequently trombone 'player' - early days was brass banding.  Had a 350 RE bullet but it 'broke' and then the size limit came in for learners before repair so never rode again. 

• Like 3