The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

Any more Morris Dancers out there?

Isn't Morris dancing just an excuse to visit as many pubs you can and get drinks off the punters for giving them a little dance?

Again my lack of rhythm meant I wasn't suitable, the only time I tried it I would be jingling instead jangling. :danced:

• RMweb Premium

I've had a lot of contact with a large number of the posters on this thread - principally relating to my layout threads.

The variety of interests we all have as alternative hobbies is a credit to us all. Proof that there's no such thing as a boring railway modeller!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've had a lot of contact with a large number of the posters on this thread - principally relating to my layout threads.

The variety of interests we all have as alternative hobbies is a credit to us all. Proof that there's no such thing as a boring railway modeller!!

Jeff

I think you'd be even more surprised at the variety of real-life jobs of us railway modellers. (although I can fully understand those who would never wish to reveal that - we've been on a similar topic elsewhere).

When we exhibited Blackmill, the regular team consisted of a driving instructor, an aerospace engineer, a retired maths teacher, two bike mechanics, a policeman, a signalman and a water works engineer.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

Like many on this thread, I've spent a lot of time with motorcycles. I never really considered it a hobby, though. It was just what I did. That's fallen by the wayside a bit now, having just sold my last working bike because I suddenly realised that I didn't have time to ride recreationally, no longer needed to ride to commute and needed the cash more than the motorcycle. I've still got a brace of BMW K100s, though, which may live again one day.

While I was working in Canberra I satisfied my creative side by fiddling with bicycles, developing Frankenfixie as my commuter, and putting together another single-speeder around a (very light) vintage German frame. Most satisfying was learning wheelbuilding by reading articles on the internet and then giving it a go. I got two good wheels and one the shape of a Pringle out of that exercise :D. I'm hoping to transfer the skill to motorcycle wheels in future

Another area of interest (again, I'd hesitate to call it a hobby as such), is affordable boatbuilding and alternatives to the "conventional" (and often expensive) ways of going sailing. For example, Chinese "junk" rigs exercise my attention somewhat. I'll confess that making a coracle by wrapping builders' plastic around the bowl bit of a 1970s wicker chair might have been pushing it a bit, but it worked surprisingly well :D.

And then there is the pottery business which, like all small businesses, intrudes rather into my leisure(?) hours. I'm particularly interested in glaze chemistry, high-temperature alchemy that it is and am looking forward to the post-Xmas lull to do some experimentation ready for the new market season. This year's main project is to get some glazes with crystalline effects working properly. I'll also be sitting down at the wheel quite a bit to get some throwing practice in. Up to now we've been working mostly by slipcasting but I need to be able to throw to enhance my credentials as a proper potter ;).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Cricket....umpiring, scoring, coaching ( in my younger days) as well as tutoring keeps me busy in "summer" and indoor cricket keeps me busy in the winter.

Each to their own....

Baz

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Not having any space for a railway in my early married years, I started painting wargames figures. I never engaged in wargaming itself, but as I reached a fairly good standard of painting, the owner of our local figure shop, Bill Brewer of The Rye Stamp & Hobby Shop, in Peckham, used me to supplement his figure-painting service. He never distinguished between my work and his when they were on sale, which I took as a compliment as he was recognized as one of the country's best. He always had a stall at Salute, the South London Warlords annual event at Kensington Town Hall or somewhere similar. Here are a handful of my 25/28mm sets from my figure painting days. The standards were hand-painted onto drink can metal. The figures were painted in enamels, but the horses, once given a matt white under-coat, were painted in oil paints, which were painted on and gently rubbed over to create the shading and sheen. Sometimes a couple of extra coats were needed to build up the depth of colour. Everything was varnished with a satin Ronseal finish. Bill said that it pulled all the elements together - cloth, braid, leather, skin, metals etc. You had to make sure that the varnish was properly mixed to get a consistent finish. Old tins with thick stuff at the bottom got used on DIY!

post-14351-0-56285500-1514189376_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-94461800-1514189385_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-43230900-1514189396_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-50353400-1514189407_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 14

Any more Morris Dancers out there?

Hi Seahorse, any pics? I don't think I've ever seen any live, (or dead ones for that matter). Having lived mainly in the South, it's not so much as a tradition as up North is it?

It's fizzled out a bit in recent years but I used to do a bit of mine exploration. It was sometimes a little annoying for someone who's 6'3" tall!

attachicon.gifSG1L1231.jpg

Merry Morning Reorte ? is that a Coal, or Tin Mine, where abouts in the UK are you from, just roughly will do) I can't tell from the Rocks / Blocks around the entrance.

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd be even more surprised at the variety of real-life jobs of us railway modellers. (although I can fully understand those who would never wish to reveal that - we've been on a similar topic elsewhere).

When we exhibited Blackmill, the regular team consisted of a driving instructor, an aerospace engineer, a retired maths teacher, two bike mechanics, a policeman, a signalman and a water works engineer.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick, with Chapel en le Frith we can have a retired veterinary, a professional model maker, a fully qualified electrician/ project manager, a man who was "Dr Flood" for the Environmental agency in Yorkshire, a general house handyman and a retired rocket scientist...all with a common bond other than railways....eating and drinking!
  • Like 4

Like many on this thread, I've spent a lot of time with motorcycles. I never really considered it a hobby, though. It was just what I did. That's fallen by the wayside a bit now, having just sold my last working bike because I suddenly realised that I didn't have time to ride recreationally, no longer needed to ride to commute and needed the cash more than the motorcycle. I've still got a brace of BMW K100s, though, which may live again one day.

While I was working in Canberra I satisfied my creative side by fiddling with bicycles, developing Frankenfixie as my commuter, and putting together another single-speeder around a (very light) vintage German frame. Most satisfying was learning wheelbuilding by reading articles on the internet and then giving it a go. I got two good wheels and one the shape of a Pringle out of that exercise :D. I'm hoping to transfer the skill to motorcycle wheels in future

Another area of interest (again, I'd hesitate to call it a hobby as such), is affordable boatbuilding and alternatives to the "conventional" (and often expensive) ways of going sailing. For example, Chinese "junk" rigs exercise my attention somewhat. I'll confess that making a coracle by wrapping builders' plastic around the bowl bit of a 1970s wicker chair might have been pushing it a bit, but it worked surprisingly well :D.

And then there is the pottery business which, like all small businesses, intrudes rather into my leisure(?) hours. I'm particularly interested in glaze chemistry, high-temperature alchemy that it is and am looking forward to the post-Xmas lull to do some experimentation ready for the new market season. This year's main project is to get some glazes with crystalline effects working properly. I'll also be sitting down at the wheel quite a bit to get some throwing practice in. Up to now we've been working mostly by slipcasting but I need to be able to throw to enhance my credentials as a proper potter ;).

Very mixed and varied Pat, I used to watch the Local Potter in Buckfastleigh, Devon and amazed at what he could throw from a lump of Wet Clay, well done young man.

Cricket....umpiring, scoring, coaching ( in my younger days) as well as tutoring keeps me busy in "summer" and indoor cricket keeps me busy in the winter.

Each to their own....

Baz

Ahh yes, the wonderful sound of Leather on Willow, and a old push mower and genteel polite applause, God how it's changed.

Cheers for posting Baz. 

• Like 1

My "other hobbies" are collecting model aircrafts (mainly airlines from the middle east). And I am an artist too...I dabble in quite a few mediums - oil pastels, pencil sketching, painting, sculpting and carving.

Good morning MRG Hopper / ? I've always been interested in Aircraft and their Liveries, it would be good to see some of your Art work if you want to post any.

Not having any space for a railway in my early married years, I started painting wargames figures. I never engaged in wargaming itself, but as I reached a fairly good standard of painting, the owner of our local figure shop, Bill Brewer of The Rye Stamp & Hobby Shop, in Peckham, used me to supplement his figure-painting service. He never distinguished between my work and his when they were on sale, which I took as a compliment as he was recognized as one of the country's best. He always had a stall at Salute, the South London Warlords annual event at Kensington Town Hall or somewhere similar. Here are a handful of my 25/28mm sets from my figure painting days. The standards were hand-painted onto drink can metal.

attachicon.gifFrench infantry 24th Queens Regiment c1720.jpg

attachicon.gifShip's boat Quebec 25mm wargames figures.jpg

attachicon.gifSYW French Dragoons 1000px.jpg

attachicon.gifthe Royal North British Dragoons Scots Greys.jpg

Morning Phil, As I said to Clive Mortimore who also does Military figure painting, the detail is superb, and a credit to you. Thanks for showing them and well done on such fine workmanship.

Very mixed and varied Pat, I used to watch the Local Potter in Buckfastleigh, Devon and amazed at what he could throw from a lump of Wet Clay, well done young man.

I find a great many things interesting. It's why I never make much progress in any one particular field. Something new and shiny always comes along and distracts me.

As for potters, I try not to compare myself with proper ones. I'm years away from being even a competent novice. The Devon connection is interesting though. One of MrsB's friends spent 19 years at Dartington Pottery, many of those as head decorator, only leaving when the production moved to Surrey in the early 2000s

I have a few bowls that I made & glazed myself at a pottery class (throwing, turning glazing) - and a mug which I'm really proud of, but it's just a bit too small to use for anything other than really strong coffee Doesn't get used much as I'm not really into coffee. It was great fun and I'd love to do more, but it seems like a very expensive and time consuming hobby, and I can't quite justify the cost in terms of either at the moment. Glazing was my favourite bit, but I don't really fancy glazing someone else's work...

And yes, it was the pottery version of bake off which got me into it...

• Like 1

Hi Andy.  The reg numbers get a lot of comment at TT week!  U isn't issued in the old UK system either so it gets double takes.  Until recently any number from a previously issued batch could be bought for £60 (if not taken of course) so we have several interesting ones appropriate to the bike in question!

Annie is my favourite at Groudle, she's a full size new build replica Bagnall. I'm too tall for Sea Lion's cab.....

attachicon.gifP1020191 (Small).JPG

Wow! As if the bikes weren't enough it looks like you even have time to mow the lawn. Now that really does put some of us to shame !

One of the many joys of being into old cars is getting up close to some of rare machinery occasionally and chatting to their owners at various shows, back in August 2016 I nipped along to a low key local gathering and got chatting to the owner of this gorgeous Aston Martin DB4GT. It's one of twenty five cars he owns and uses regularly, with the help of a couple of chums he makes sure they're driven in anger, as well as the DB4 he has three classic Maseratis, a very early E-Type coupe and an Iso Grifo...

post-7638-0-96863900-1514199594_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-76202800-1514199634_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-36784500-1514199651_thumb.jpg

I doubt I'll ever own such exotica, but being able to appreciate and enjoy them brings a lot of satisfaction, I suppose in a way it's a bit like being a staunch supporter of your favourite football team and knowing you'll probably never get to lift the FA Cup at Wembley!

• Like 9

I have a few bowls that I made & glazed myself at a pottery class (throwing, turning glazing) - and a mug which I'm really proud of, but it's just a bit too small to use for anything other than really strong coffee Doesn't get used much as I'm not really into coffee. It was great fun and I'd love to do more, but it seems like a very expensive and time consuming hobby, and I can't quite justify the cost in terms of either at the moment. Glazing was my favourite bit, but I don't really fancy glazing someone else's work...

And yes, it was the pottery version of bake off which got me into it...

Yes, it's very satisfying. I also agree that, if you're buying your own equipment the entry costs are pretty substantial and prohibitive unless you're going to be doing a lot. Night classes, clubs and societies can bring the capital costs down a bit but can also be restrictive as to what you can do.For example, special firing cycles generally ain't going to happen if you haven't got your own kiln space. Most educational establishments and collectives will also generally use proprietary glazes. Not a bad thing in itself, but if glazes are one's particular interest there's not much scope for experimentation. And, of course, meaningful experimentation takes time and multiple firings.

All that said though, if it's something you enjoy, do persist with it. There's even a potential model railway connection. Whilst they'd be big, heavy pieces, I can't think of too many construction techniques for garden railway buildings that would be more durable than glazed stoneware :D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

post-103-0-85886300-1514202316_thumb.jpg

Any guesses - also now learning creative writing on a free course provided by the Council.

Used to be a keen and quite able home brewer, but stopped that as I was unable to keep my products down to a sensible OG (I normally started at 1055 and went up from there)

Stewart

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Seahorse, any pics? I don't think I've ever seen any live, (or dead ones for that matter). Having lived mainly in the South, it's not so much as a tradition as up North is it?

Not that I am one of them, but here a some far south Morris Men, performing on the curiously named 'Egg' the village green of neighbouring Bishopstone, in East Sussex (there's another in Wiltshire)

post-14351-0-05082900-1514202350_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-66970900-1514202415_thumb.jpg

• Like 6