RMweb

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I understand what both you and he are saying but I can guarantee if he had made up one more place he would have been leaping off the car, leaping into the arms of his team, finding time for the interview and followed up by some crowd surfing.

Quite possibly, the difference between winning adrenaline, and almost there exhaustion is a fine line the body and mind controls. 

I think that he gets more than a fair press from C4 and Sky usually so I think bearing in mind that they spent the whole weekend bigging him up for getting his sixth win etc they had the right to be a bit put out when he disappeared and they lost their main story

I understand what both you and he are saying but I can guarantee if he had made up one more place he would have been leaping off the car, leaping into the arms of his team, finding time for the interview and followed up by some crowd surfing.

Chris, in my view the bit I've underlined in your quote is the root of all the problems, The Press were the same with the Scotland World Cup team back in the 70s and England numerous times since. Without them it would be a lot easier for us to see the true person behind the Press Hype...

Gareth, have you ever been in that sort of situation yourself, I suspect not? If you had you would understand what happened. Yes he probably would have been jumping off the car if he'd have won as the adrenaline would have been flowing and he'd have been on a big high. But he didn't win even though he was "that" close. By being so close but losing it despite all the effort has had the opposite effect and you end up with a big low, made worse by the exhaustion of all that effort and no reward (please don't say "but he got second" as that for Lewis in THAT race was the worst result after what he had done, especially as the initial mistake was his... That sort of athelete work on a whole different scale to the rest of us, I doubt any of us could really know what was going through his mind, though those of us who have pushed ourselves to the absolute limit may have some idea of who he felt, physically wise, even if not mentally...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and please don't make assumptions about people of whom you know nothing about.

That would include all the racing drivers mentioned here.

Having seen Kimi at close quarters in Finland (2009 WRC) he was a very different person to that portrayed in F1.

• Like 1

Whether a silver car, a red car, blue car or any other colour of car, it doesn't seem right that a car can be at the back (be it from penalties, a crash, a pit lane start or whatever) and is so much quicker than the competition that it ends up finishing on the podium. I know in the previous eras there have been odd races where most of the field got lapped (wasn't there a race where Schumacher and Barrichello were the only uncapped cars) since the turbo 1.6s have come in, there really does seem to have been a multi tier field. It seems more akin to GT racing some of the speed differentials, only there are three or four different categories in GTs and it is to be expected. Categories for 2019 - F1-1, F1-2PRO and F1-2AM anybody? Different colour halo for each category, like the number stickers at Le Mans

Jo

Something that was only briefly alluded to, by Lee McKenzie, near the end of the C4 coverage - kudos to Vettel for driving the race that he did with a neck injury of some kind. As he said afterwards, he wasn't feeling much pain because of the adrenalin but I suspect that after the high wore off he will be very glad that he has two weeks before the next event.

And Hamilton did have some luck during the race - after he was spun around two or three cars came very close to colliding with him. Presumably contact at that point would have been game over and a second non-finish in as many weeks.

What I was surprised, and disappointed about, was that after his comment "interesting tactics from their team, but anyway" (which he did later retract) on the podium to Brundle nobody from the C4 team seemed to pick up on it or discuss it.

I must admit I don’t rate this “let’s interview the sportsman 3 seconds after the event and before they have caught their breath” whether it be F1, athletics or any other sport. Let them get their breath back and give a coherent thought.

Sadly the world doesn't have the patience for that. By the time Sportsist X has composed themselves the world has moved onto the next shiny thing.

Though they'd have a lot more interesting things to say once they've had time for a drink and to think about what they want to say.

• RMweb Gold

That would include all the racing drivers mentioned here.

Having seen Kimi at close quarters in Finland (2009 WRC) he was a very different person to that portrayed in F1.

The Iceman cometh...

• Like 2

"Driver attends event organised by team sponsor" - shock horror! How dare he!

Looking like he has just finished playing his Xbox*.

Talk about dressing down for the occasion.

* other consuls are available. 

• RMweb Premium

Looking like he has just finished playing his Xbox*.

Talk about dressing down for the occasion.

* other consuls are available. 

He was wearing clothes from the sponsors range , eg, Tommy Hilfger , he was hardly

likely to be wearing Levi clothes was he , okay the items might not be to everyones taste

but it looks better than some of the outlandish thing you see women on a catwalk wearing .

• Like 1

agree

What was wrong with doing the interview on the podium?

Why in parc ferme?

Probably in the agreement that cost millions .Everything is weighed ,costed ,negotiated ,agreed .its all part of his 20 zillion a year and their multi  million payment or what ever .They dont want an stock answer  dreamed up by his media people they want it straight from the race  before 10 scribes write it all down for him .

Currently the team that says "we have the best chassis on the grid, we just need a better engine" are near the very back of the field.

Oh dear... 

AGAIN :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-warns-drs-turn-1-german-gp-1061723/

I wasn't aware that DRS was causing the kind of problems described in this article.  I had been under the impression that DRS activation was somehow interlocked to track location; if that were the case then I'd have thought that it ought to be possible to have a similar interlock to ensure that the flap closes in good time to brake for an upcoming corner.  (Or they could just do away with it because it's a fundamentally daft idea anyway.)

18 inch wheels and no tyre blankets from 2021.

Interesting.  I wonder whether the ban on tyre blankets will reduce the tactical benefits of tyre stops, if it takes more on-track time for new tyres to become fully effective?

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1