The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Here's the Raikkonen incident: 

Other than being an arguable infraction of pit lane limits it really isn't anything like the Hamilton incident, definitely clutching at straws to claim preferential treatment of Hamilton/Mercedes on that!

Most teams, AFAIAA, run the tyre strategy from the pit.  Mercedes almost give the impression that they are so disorganised that the drivers have to do it themselves.  A decently organised team would have a plan to deal with the risk that a close opponent might turn out to be pitting at the same time as your driver, not descend in to chaos as Mercedes gave every impression of doing.

Exactly. You only need to look at the shambles over Bottas’ hastily arranged pit stop under the safety car. Poor Valtteri, when he was at Williams they gave him three matching tyres and one odd one - on Sunday I though Mercedes might go one better and give him a different tyre at each corner.

For once Red Bull made the wrong decision over putting inters on Max’s car - but their ability to act decisively still puts Mercedes to shame.

While on the subject of tyres, I thought Fernando’s decision to go on the medium compound was that they might perform better than the other slicks in the wet, but disappointed that he was one of the first to change over to inters when the rain came.

• Like 2

... look at the shambles over Bottas’ hastily arranged pit stop under the safety car. Poor Valtteri...

Then again, this was a class team drive and a clear positive for his reputation. Kept up with the Mercs, put the pressure on when he could outperform them as the track got wet, swiftly and safely found his way past Raikonnen. Why did Vettel end up off the track? Trying to stay ahead of the clear threat from Bottas would be my surmise. And then Bottas finished second behind the guy Merc are going to prioritise for the driver's championship, solid result for the team.

If he continues to improve as a driver and the Merc's advantage is maintained, he'll get a title shot with them.

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head with the penalties. Why did Vettel get 5 secs for bottas but kimi got 10 for Hamilton?

It's that sort of thing that makes fans of other teams see different rules being used with regards to your man.

Maybe in a stewards meeting after the race concerned, they decided that they were too lenient on Vettel? If so, they may even have mentioned this in the next pre-race driver's briefing.

With that incident now closed, what should they do next time (which happened to be Raikkonen)?

Apply a penalty which they now agree is more suitable?

or

Apply the same penalty to maintain consistency, even though they now agree in hindsight that they should have been harsher last time around?

Trouble is such incidents aren't identical, hence the decision they have to make isn't as black and whilte as many people are saying. At the end of the day we have to accept their decision, if the teams think that they have been unfairly treated then they will complain. As they haven't...

• RMweb Gold

Hamilton been called to the stewards with a bit of luck he'll get a penalty which'll drop him down a bit, justification for the team telling Bottas to hold station and fix the result

But it was ok for Ferrari to tell Kimi to let Seb by to "fix the result"?

The alternate thinking behind the Mercedes call was more likely not wanting to see both of their cars taking each other out in difficult track conditions after Seb handed them a 1-2. If Bottas was in front, I think they would have made the same call. It was good fair racing between them but too risky at that stage of the race.

• RMweb Gold

It was good fair racing between them but too risky at that stage of the race.

Exactly the point that Toto made - after Austria and Silverstone it was important not to lose the one-two when it looked in the bag. 

• RMweb Gold

Exactly the point that Toto made - after Austria and Silverstone it was important not to lose the one-two when it looked in the bag. 

And that decision let them take the lead in the Constructors Championship.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

News is in that Sergio Marchionne has passed away, age 66, due to complications during surgery. Sad as it is for his family/friends/company, it may actually be a blessing for F1. Time will tell.

As I said in Post 1071, I think he was a force for good, trying to head off Liberty changes that have commercial advantages rather than the health of F1 at their core. Of course he resented any suggestion that Ferrari should lose its large handout, but the new chairman won't like that either. 

Meanwhile, as Toto suggests the Ferrari engine upgrade may be naughty, and Charlie Whiting says it's kosher, there is a groundswell against new engine regs for 2021. 

• Like 2

Comments keep getting made about how to spice up Saturdays, with extra races or whatever.

Why don't they just award points for qualifying, say the top 5 finishers in each session get points. Then there's actually something to fight for. Other championships award points for qualifying

Jo

• Like 2

Comments keep getting made about how to spice up Saturdays, with extra races or whatever.

Why don't they just award points for qualifying, say the top 5 finishers in each session get points. Then there's actually something to fight for. Other championships award points for qualifying

Jo

And a Bonus 5 Points for fastest Lap.

Don't they already have a qualifying championship?

The obvious problem is that it'll just cause the leaders to pull away even further if qualifying points are added to race points. F1 has been a sport dominated by a couple of teams for a long time (the identity of the teams has changed, but the fact that most teams and drivers are fighting for about 4th/5th most of the time hasn't really).

The obvious problem is that it'll just cause the leaders to pull away even further if qualifying points are added to race points. F1 has been a sport dominated by a couple of teams for a long time (the identity of the teams has changed, but the fact that most teams and drivers are fighting for about 4th/5th most of the time hasn't really).

Yes so revers grid now and again, lucky dip penalties, free jiffy bag of goodies for race leader each lap. Sorry I'm being silly, but there needs to be a system to boost the lower teams chances of points, and a reverse grid might work. The  really fast guys might still get to the podium, but not on circuits like Monaco. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How about 10 points for whichever driver increases their position from qualifying to checkered flag the most during each race?

Although again that will likely to to whichever merc/Ferrari/red bull driver has started on the naughty step for parts changes....

• Like 1

The only way qualifying points would work was if there was reverse grids. Say 12pts for Pole, 10pts for 2nd, 8pts for 3rd then 7pts for 4th etc..

This would also mean quicker cars at the back for the race (which carries the bulk of the points) and reward overtaking and still give smaller teams a chance

• RMweb Gold

And a Bonus 5 Points for fastest Lap.

This is something I had thought would be a good idea too. Boost it to 10pts, it would give the drivers incentive to drive flat out.

I had thought of that one too, like in drag racing. However as Zomboid pointed out this would probably just result in the top teams stretching an even bigger lead in F1.

My wackiest idea is to ban driver contracts! Every driver must race twice in a season for each team, that way no one can whinge "oh he only wins because he has the fastest car. Good drivers should do better in the bad cars e.g. Alonso who can extract more than out of a dog of a car than most. Keep separate driver and constructors championships, they would each now be relying on solely on driver skill and how good you car is rather than just having the best in the best.

• Like 1

The only way qualifying points would work was if there was reverse grids. Say 12pts for Pole, 10pts for 2nd, 8pts for 3rd then 7pts for 4th etc..

This would also mean quicker cars at the back for the race (which carries the bulk of the points) and reward overtaking and still give smaller teams a chance

A reverse grid still wouldn't give smaller teams a chance. In the British GP Hamilton moved from dead last up to the top 6 inside 12 laps IIRC and in the last race from 14th to 5th in a similar time. The top 6 are so far ahead starting at the back would make very little difference to the result. The only plus would be maybe some of the other cars may still be on the lead lap at the end.

I still favour the short lived qualifying when each car went out on it's own for one flying lap. If a top driver cocked it up there was no second chance. At least I think that happened for a season or so rather than me imagining it.

A reverse grid still wouldn't give smaller teams a chance. In the British GP Hamilton moved from dead last up to the top 6 inside 12 laps IIRC and in the last race from 14th to 5th in a similar time

That's not quite true. At the moment there only tends to be one top driver at the back so what we see isn't what was proposed. A reverse grid would put ALL the top drivers at the back as per Brisca F1 and F2 stock car racing. That's a very different proposition as they would all have to get through the rest of the grid...

BTW I'm not suggesting it as an idea that could be taken forward just pointing out that what we have seen this season when one or the top drivers starts at the back would be very different to a genuine "reverse grid"...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's not quite true. At the moment there only tends to be one top driver at the back so what we see isn't what was proposed. A reverse grid would put ALL the top drivers at the back as per Brisca F1 and F2 stock car racing. That's a very different proposition as they would all have to get through the rest of the grid...

BTW I'm not suggesting it as an idea that could be taken forward just pointing out that what we have seen this season when one or the top drivers starts at the back would be very different to a genuine "reverse grid"...

BriSCA stock car racing isn't really a true comparison as contact is allowed. I was watching it for long enough to know that some drivers seemed to be "sandbagging" in viewing a future bigger prize. Start from yellow for a few weeks after the monthly grading period taking lots of heat wins including an odd final and then do nothing once going up a grade (or two) 362 Ray Watkins always seemed to yo-yo between yellow and blue grade until one month when he managed to score enough points to make red - then he virtually gave up racing for that season...............

How about a handicapping system such as BTCC use with added ballast for success? The more points you get, the heavier your car is.

But I reckon that if that happened, the top teams would pull out.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

BriSCA stock car racing isn't really a true comparison as contact is allowed. I was watching it for long enough to know that some drivers seemed to be "sandbagging" in viewing a future bigger prize. 

In another sport, the Jockey Club takes a dim view of "not trying" since betting is involved, of course. The scam is that you enter a horse in an ordinary race and get the jockey to give it an easy time, coming fourth or fifth. Then you enter it in something a bit bigger, where the bookies will give it long odds. Jockey is under instructions to stand on the gas, does so, and you win with a substantial reward to punters, which may just include your wife/husband and any other persons you have informed of what is about. 

• Like 2