Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Will the Virgin Mk3 (loco hauled) catering vehicle be the 3 window RUB (as illustrated but inaccurate for the period) or the more appropriate (albeit ex LIma) 4 window RFM?

Surely Hornby's researchers must have checked this one out.

It will also now be interesting so see if and when we get the more authentic Oxford Rail Mk3a/3b's in Virgin Livery.

EDIT Just read post 231.

Edited by jonathan452

The Nelsons look really  good, presumably to a similar standard to the S15, (or Duchess or current Hornby locos). Interesting that there is an original Maunsell version as well. Having 4 Bulleid pacfics available as well,  "unrebuilt" & rebuilt MNs, "unrebuilt/rebuilt WC/BB. Particularly with a WC with later condition tender with cut down sides, doesn't seem to have been one like that for a while?  Grange in green with smaller tender.  Maunsell coaches in green.

And this brilliant idea of a sound chip with station background sounds, fitted in a van so it can just sit on a siding or whatever.

That's more than enough to be going on with for now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Nelsons look really  good, presumably to a similar standard to the S15, (or Duchess or current Hornby locos). Interesting that there is an original Maunsell version as well. Having 4 Bulleid pacfics available as well,  "unrebuilt" & rebuilt MNs, "unrebuilt/rebuilt WC/BB. Particularly with a WC with later condition tender with cut down sides, doesn't seem to have been one like that for a while?  Grange in green with smaller tender.  Maunsell coaches in green.

This is the tender we need on more Pacifics 

post-2326-0-95260300-1515430896_thumb.jpg

The old Wrenn one was like this IIRC.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/WRENN-W2236-BR-SOUTHERN-WEST-COUNTRY-DORCHESTER-4-6-2-LOCO-IN-BOX-V-G-C/142621094593?hash=item2134e132c1:g:3zUAAOSwAaJaGw

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Fought for the Brythonic Celts against the invading Saxons.  Definitely on the losing side!

Absolutely.  Totally off topic but just finished reading "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro,  a fantasy that deals with this very subject in  a kind of  post-Arthurian Britain.

Back to Hornby, the Hitachi 800 units look the sort of up to the minute thing that Hornby is good at. Little too up to date for my layout, though. :-)

Note to self: pre-order Peckett this time!

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a good solid list of proven sellers that will do Hornby no harm; the company has to be in a 'take stock and regroup' mode for now.  The J15 should be a good seller.  I wonder if the re-introduced 2721 has a new chassis; I might be up for one if it does.  If it has been re-tooled with correct axle spacings (dream on, Johnster) I will definitely be up for one!

I am a little disappointed not to see let GW liveried toads, but like the new lettering on the one they have listed.  The new liveries on the auto trailers are of interest to me as well, but, given my restricted area and period, I am not surprised that there is not a huge amount to get me excited here.

Well done Mr K and co., and good luck.  Future prosperity might put you in a mood to make me some non-gangwayed GW coaches that are not B sets...

• Like 4

This is the tender we need on more Pacifics (shown partly here). The old Wrenn one was like this IIRC.

attachicon.gif1585.jpg

Phil

Thanks. The subject of tenders does get a little complex (where did I put my RCTS book?).  Also there is the question of earlier narrow cab or later wide cab "unrebuilts"  (think Hornby have done a wide cab one some time ago?)  But this current release 34019 looks useful. Have to keep an eye open for that one, the Bulleid pacifics seem to sell fast when released.

Edited by railroadbill

There are more plausible contenders for a sound-fitted wagon. Cattle wagons, for example - imagine a rake of them mooing all round the layout!

With a moo moo here and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo! Wonder if Hornby can add the “moos” to the sounds file before release, Belted Galloways for preference to go with the J36! Just need to fit a cattle wagon body then!

By the way none of the Southern Fans have mentioned the U Class. Just thought I’d mention it.

Well that could be enough silliness for today, perhaps!

Edited by Unknown Warrior

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. The subject of tenders does get a little complex (where did I put my RCTS book?).  Also there is the question of earlier narrow cab or later wide cab "unrebuilts"  (think Hornby have done a wide cab one some time ago?)  But this current release is helpful.

ToomanySpams has a fantastic list of the whole lot of Pacifics' 'differences'; cabs, tenders etc. and loads of other gubbins.I think it could be on SEMG as well?

I think this one on Trevone was a rebuilt body; there were a few like this IIRC without looking it up.

post-2326-0-36724600-1515436948_thumb.jpg

The tender game is a nightmare with both the Lights and the Packets.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

By the way none of the Southern Fans have mentioned the U Class. Just thought I’d mention it.

May be too close in appearance to the Bachmann N class (and they've had a lot of mileage out of that, including the N gauge one). Still a missing link (but plenty of goodies to be going on with in today's announcement).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. The subject of tenders does get a little complex (where did I put my RCTS book?).  Also there is the question of earlier narrow cab or later wide cab "unrebuilts"  (think Hornby have done a wide cab one some time ago?)  But this current release 34019 looks useful. Have to keep an eye open for that one, the Bulleid pacifics seem to sell fast when released.

Comprehensive details of tenders on the SEMG website here - http://www.semgonline.com/steam/blp_ten.html

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a good solid list of proven sellers that will do Hornby no harm; the company has to be in a 'take stock and regroup' mode for now.  The J15 should be a good seller.  I wonder if the re-introduced 2721 has a new chassis; I might be up for one if it does.  If it has been re-tooled with correct axle spacings (dream on, Johnster) I will definitely be up for one!

I am a little disappointed not to see let GW liveried toads, but like the new lettering on the one they have listed.  The new liveries on the auto trailers are of interest to me as well, but, given my restricted area and period, I am not surprised that there is not a huge amount to get me excited here.

Well done Mr K and co., and good luck.  Future prosperity might put you in a mood to make me some non-gangwayed GW coaches that are not B sets...

That would be 2 or 3 for Llantrisant. On a slightly different note, I wonder what the work involved to produce an early 27xx pannier?

Ian.

More TTS decoders will be welcome, but is there any difference in sound from the newly announced class 66 decoder (R8121) to the, yet to be released, class 67 decoder (R8105)? Many retailers list R8105 as class 66/67. I always thought they would sound the same.

Also, quite disappointed the stand alone HST decoder is an MTU one rather than the proper Valenta engine sound. Surely the Valenta sound would be FAR more popular. I assume Hornby are also making a Valenta TTS decoder for the TTS fitted HST Intercity train pack as they clearly state it is a 'Valenta' powered train pack. It would make sense to sell the Valenta one separately too.

• RMweb Gold

And this brilliant idea of a sound chip with station background sounds, fitted in a van so it can just sit on a siding or whatever.

That's more than enough to be going on with for now.

All the Hornby rebuilt Light Pacifics have tenders with cut down sides, as did the prototypes. 

The only Light Pacific tender not covered by Hornby is the 5250 gallon BR rebodied ones as produced by Hornby Dublo and Wrenn that were paired with a total of six rebuilt Light Pacifics (though never more than four at the same time). Neither Barnstaple, Dorchester or any air-smoothed loco ever had one in reality though!

They are easily recognised by their lacking the characteristic step in the bodywork part way along the sides and a few MN tenders were similarly rebodied.

Light Pacifics that did have them were 34031, 34039, 34046 from 1959 and 34059 from 1960. 34087 and 34104 each acquired one in 1965 following withdrawal of 34031 and 34039.

In preservation, 34046 and 34059 run with them, the one behind 34046 being a new build. AFAIK 34039, when active, ran with a cut-down 5500 gallon one.

Hope this helps

John

EDIT: Polite request to Hornby, if you do decide to do this variant, can I have Torrington, please?

Edited by Dunsignalling

Nice to see some more class 50's.  Pity though they have not released a refurbished one in all over blue as opposed to large logo.

*edited to correct spelling.

Edited by irishmail