Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Kernow have now updated the R3662 GWR 153 page with a photo: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59807/R3662-Hornby-Class-153-Sprinter-DMU-Set-number-153-368 

Still no confirmation via site or email as to whether this is an exclusive, or Hornby have mistakenly missed it from their range. 

r3662-1515494060.jpg

On the 2018 range, was a little surprised they didn't have a Class 800 in the Virgin livery.

Has the final Azuma livery been decided yet, especially with VTEC handing back the Franchise in 2020? I think there is only that bland grey and white livery with the Virgin ribbon on the front and rear cars (similar to the new pendolino livery) I don’t think they enter into service till later this year or even 2019. They are probably waiting until the real thing has some exposure. I’ve lost track of what’s going on , but aren’t there IET variants for Transpennine as well, and maybe even Hull Trains? The only ones in service so far and I think where the bulk of deliveries will be this year is GWT

Ron Ron Ron answered most of this, the 'Azuma' brand on 800101 was a promotional, look closely, you see it is a red ribbon being 'wrapping' the train. The livery is in the final stages of adjustments, along with the interiors which I have been informed I shall be pleased with the interior over the ones with GWR. They are using fluff!! 

Remember, the VTEC brand shall continue until at least 2023 when a new 'partnership' franchise shall be let. There is a lot of in-factual/bias reporting in the media, simply the DfT has encouraged companies to over bid on unrealistic delivery points from NR and passenger growth, we are holding a public debate on re-nationalisation and discussing all of the problems with the current system in med-Feb. If interested and you live in East Anglia, do PM me for details. 

Sorry back to the model.....

Currently Hornby are offering: 

800003 - Not in Passenger Service, current a Hitachi Rail Europe Test Unit

800004 - Not in Passenger Service, current a Hitachi Rail Europe Test Unit

Current situation on the Great Western is:

800/0 Status 08/01/18

001-004 - Hitachi Test Units, various locations.
005/006/008-018/020/021/023 - GWR Passenger Service. Total available units: 16 for a required 14 daily. 
019/022/024 - Agility Trains West Acceptance/Mileage, Bristol. IE Passenger Service expected anyday.
025-031 - Hitachi Commissioning, Doncaster.
007/032-036 - Hitachi Static Testing, Newton Aycliffe (only 007 In Build).

This leaves Hornby with Virgin Trains to do on a 800, but currently only a 800/2 (which are 5 car). It is still not confirmed whether December's passenger introduction on the ECML shall be an 800/1 or an 801/1 (5 car). All that is known is the 800/2 (5car) and 801/2 (9 car) shall be introduced much later in 2019. Hornby currently have not demonstrated they have the tooling for an 801 (removal of fuel tanks and engine grills on under frame etc.) or even a 9car 800/801.

Hornby also could do a class 802. Would require tooling to the roof as the brake resistor radiators are much increased. This would allow:

GWR 802001-022 & 101-114, Transpennie Express 802201-219 and Hull Trains 802301-305.

The Virgin liveried pre-series Class 800, is supposed to be the "Azuma" launch livery.

It was announced at the time of its unveiling as such, suggesting it was a promotional livery, with the production livery yet to be revealed.

I asked one of the Hornby development team about it at Ally Pally last year and he said that VTEC had yet to finalise what the livery would be.

With the Virgin preference for big PR, unveilings and launches, I think it's quite plausible that VTEC might be holding back on things like the livery and saving them for a big PR day.

Even if Hornby have the livery details, they are probably restricted on its use until VTEC say OK.

So we are non the wiser.

VTEC Class 800's are due to enter service at the end of this year, followed by the 801's a year later.

Whatever the livery will be, will no doubt be revealed before the trains are in full public view, sometime this summer or autumn.

I'm confident you can almost bank on a VTEC Class 800 featuring in the Hornby 2019 range, provided the franchise issue doesn't lead to another TOC being appointed to replace VTEC.

Kernow have now updated the R3662 GWR 153 page with a photo: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59807/R3662-Hornby-Class-153-Sprinter-DMU-Set-number-153-368 

Still no confirmation via site or email as to whether this is an exclusive, or Hornby have mistakenly missed it from their range. 

r3662-1515494060.jpg

It is an exclusive for Kernow.

Just onrhe relative investment point between steam, diesel, electric etc, it’s worth noting that the Class 800 is effectively both a loco and a set of coaches. From a risk perspective, that must be higher for Honrby than say a King plus bow enders. In the latter, not everyone who wants a king will want the coaches and there will be those who wanted the coaches but not the loco. Independent markets. For the Vlass 800, I cant imagine buying the coaches but not the power units, ie dependent markets but a multiple of tooling and development costs.. That’s got to infuelmcr how Hornby price and produce. It also means that a Class 800 takes up a bigger proportion of both the cash budget and the development team resource for a smaller market. It may well be that the 800 is a staple in the range for years to come but worth noting that it will have used up a large amount of resource to get it to this point.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

GRRR

No available of class 08 Railfreight livery

Found kernow model centre will get from Hornby by new class 31 RTC livery 97204 by available of 1st quarter 2018 and more details from kernow model centreattachicon.gifCA624222-5E1C-43A1-9AEC-40780A2787C1.jpeg

Looked at their web site. It’s very well hidden! Quarter 2 2018. Although much that i’d Like one, the price is a bit eye watering for me . Edited by richierich

I'm glad Hornby are releasing their Class 43 HST MTU TTS twin sound decoder as a standalone product which you will get for £60 or less if you shop around.

I'm not sure about anyone else but find it really hard to justify spending over £240 (price of sound fitted locomotives) to just fit sound/speakers to a pair of HST's regardless of their supposed superiority over TTS, for me the jury is out on that and not bothered whether I can start one engine before the other as per prototype.

I will give credit to Hornby for tackling the sound market with TTS for a cheap price and bringing sound to those who really can't afford the full fat ESU V4's and others in the market, for me they are so over priced it's not funny.

Edit: I have two HST Packs thus Hornby TTS approx. cost for sound @£120 or ESU V4 @£480 or more...really a no brainer.

Also it's a shame my collection of Bachmann Class 66's are 21 Pin as I would have used Hornby's 8 Pin TTS decoders for those as well.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And Bachmann are updating 3 or 4 DMUS. What is it the Diesel Electric fans want.

1st gen is all but done in models.

Leaving today's rolling stock. What class and livery would sell without being to restrictive to pireod area. Just curious

The only issue with Bachmann is we don’t exactly know when. I have been keeping a track of the Bachmann thread of what’s on offer and I don’t think there any leadtime quoted for Turbostars . If the 158 appears in 2018 , might not the turbostars be later ? It’s hard to imagine Bachmann bringing all 4 in at the same time. so while Hornby are getting criticised for having nothing for the modern image Modeller, even though IET and 87 will arrive this year, while Bachmann have a lot in line, it might not arrive until later

...Personally, I’m sceptical that the streamlined duchesses will sell well. I’m even more sceptical whether retooling post 1990 diesels and electrics is profitable. Whilst a diesel fan can “justify” a Duchess/A4 steam hauled special, it’s a lot harder other than pure rule 1 to buy a Class 91 or whatever if you’re a steam fan unless it’s a pure collector’s item...

Who has to justify anything? I model a very specific location in a specific timeframe. There's no possibility of running anything while in 'modelling mode' from those items that never operated in the UK, or were introduced into UK service before 1870 or after 1962, or were never known to have shown up on the selected patch.

However, I like trains, traction and stock, and when something I particularly like gets a really good model it is bought and operated 'informally'. I have special storage siding provision for these 'funnies' to use David Jenkinson's term. There shall now probably be a streamlined Coronation. I decided against the 2001 introduction because it still had too much of Margate's deficient pre-China practise about it. If the new model is a match to the standard that Hornby have generally achieved lately, then I'll have it. (When some company chooses to make either the 125 or 225 set to current standard I'll have that too, hint, hint. Original GNER livery for choice.) 

...Seriously just 1 post-2010 locomotive is appalling from someone like Hornby but it does expose their allegiance to the Steam Era market which for me is very short sighted and more of a quick fix than a company with forward vision on all fronts...

I would be entirely confident that they are complete mercenaries, as any business that expects to succeed needs to be. They march toward the money. I suspect that there isn't generally sufficient volume in post-steam traction for Hornby. So prototypes which don't make their volume case are left to competitor operations which can make it pay, simple as that. And that will apply just as much to steam as to post steam.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with some previous comments on here. The replies are far more interesting than the announcements. It does sadden me though, and makes me worry for the future of the hobby (ie. Railway "modelling") that so many responders are dissatisfied because a loco is not the number or livery/crest they would have liked. You could always change it!!!!!!!

After all there is plenty of advice on this site about how to go about it, and think of the fun you'd have, the skill you'd develop etc etc.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with some previous comments on here. The replies are far more interesting than the announcements. It does sadden me though, and makes me worry for the future of the hobby (ie. Railway "modelling") that so many responders are dissatisfied because a loco is not the number or livery/crest they would have liked. You could always change it!!!!!!!

After all there is plenty of advice on this site about how to go about it, and think of the fun you'd have, the skill you'd develop etc etc.

Agreed. My Lord Rodney (not even ordered yet) is already planned to become Howard of Effingham so long as all the details I can't change readily tally.

John

• Like 3

I totally agree - I simply cannot get excited about "new liveries", "new tooling" etc..  (I do however appreciate those comments to the effect of "not my cup of tea, but I'm pleased for you".)

I crave genuine "new" models that have not appeared previously in any form, and am only so delighted that the J36 is being produced.  May it be the first of many ex NBR/LNER to come!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’m just rejoicing in my J36. A no I never saw one

I didn't even get to Scotland until the mid 70s by which time I was quite old, but there was loads of railway atmosphere remaining, despite things being very Blue.

I was having a look at my 1959 Cobi Volume last evening and I had a quick look at the Scottish based loco pics. Plenty of scope left there for anyone wanting more.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looked at their web site. It’s very well hidden! Quarter 2 2018. Although much that i’d Like one, the price is a bit eye watering for me .

Theres 4 diesels I’ve spotted unique to Kernow,..

A few new Kernow exclusives from Hornby on their website ..all £169.99

R3672 50010 Large logo Blue, Blue roof ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58169/R3672-Hornby-Class-50%C2%A0Diesel-Locomotive-number-50-010

R3673 50007 GW150 Green, black plates ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58170/R3673-Hornby-Class-50%C2%A0Diesel-Locomotive-number-50-007

R3674 Ochre Livered class 31, ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58171/R3674-Hornby-Class-31-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D5579

R3675 RTC class 31 97204 ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58172/R3675-Hornby-Class-31-Diesel-Locomotive-number-97-204

Plus two 47’s (ScotRail and 47701 in NSE) from Bachmann, and GWR liveries on the 153, and older livery on a 150.

Edited by adb968008

Theres 4 diesels I’ve spotted unique to Kernow,..

A few new Kernow exclusives from Hornby on their website ..all £169.99

R3672 50010 Large logo Blue, Blue roof ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58169/R3672-Hornby-Class-50%C2%A0Diesel-Locomotive-number-50-010

R3673 50007 GW150 Green, black plates ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58170/R3673-Hornby-Class-50%C2%A0Diesel-Locomotive-number-50-007

R3674 Ochre Livered class 31, ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58171/R3674-Hornby-Class-31-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D5579

R3675 RTC class 31 97204 ltd Ed 350

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58172/R3675-Hornby-Class-31-Diesel-Locomotive-number-97-204

Plus two 47’s (ScotRail and 47701 in NSE) from Bachmann, and GWR liveries on the 153, and older livery on a 150.

We definitely need a McKernow:-)

From the RRPs, R3676 Mallard is £20 more than its sister, R3630 Woodcock which has an arguably more complex livery. I presume there is an image fee payable to the NRM for Mallard, and with the Rails/Rapido Dyno Car around the corner it makes sense to have a non-special drake in the range.

Pleased to see the Toads, it won't stop me with my Parkside ones, as they will both be in NE livery, and steel ducketed, so a wooden one or two will certainly make an appearance.

The milk tanker set looks useful and there are some welcome additions to the TTS range, the class 20 in particular for me!

The blue MN was almost a shoe in when it wasn't in the initial release, and I might be tempted finally!

I found the LMS bathtub a little surprising, but given the lovely new chassis, it makes sense and will certainly be interesting to see what improvements they make. And I never did get a blue one before!

It an interesting range, with a few 'that looks nice' items, but not a great deal of big ticket items that I must have.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some of these develop and if I have the money when I see them I could be tempted, if not I'll be fine!

I'm glad there's things that people have been clamouring for, hopefully those people will put their money where their mouths are, and there'll be more releases like that in the future!

Cheers

J

I presume that there is also a (large) fee to pay to First Great Western as generally items in that livery are more expensive, even when (like the HST power cars) the livery is relatively simple 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy. So get your orders in now while they're offering a discount on the RRP...???

Not necessarily. This approach has worked for Kernow’s models procured direct from China, but presumably procurement here is via Hornby, so the Ts and Cs wil be different.