RMweb

Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Perhaps he meant Carette? Though theirs were East Coast express engines of an earlier generation.

Doubt it, pre-grouping is probably beyond their knowledge.

Apart from the spelin error, the technical error is that the gold plating would be 24 carrot, ie pure gold.  18 carrot is an alloy of gold and 25% other metals to increase hardness and modify colour and can't be "plated" onto a base metal.

ps for carrot, read carat

Edited by Hroth

'twasn't me, 'twas 'IM!!!

points at toboldlygo

Anyhow, for a real laugh, look at page 27 of the new Hornby catalogue.  Looks like the trainee was let loose on the proofreading., the Mallard at 80 (I thought it did over 126?) proudly proclaims there's lots of 18 carot (sic) Gold plating!

Excellent- such errors will make it clear that its a genuine first edition 2018 catalogue adding vastly to its rarity value when I resell it on Ebay!

• RMweb Gold

'twasn't me, 'twas 'IM!!!

points at toboldlygo

Anyhow, for a real laugh, look at page 27 of the new Hornby catalogue.  Looks like the trainee was let loose on the proofreading., the Mallard at 80 (I thought it did over 126?) proudly proclaims there's lots of 18 carot (sic) Gold plating!

A conspiracy - the true Steam record holder was a very long in the tooth Modified Merchant Navy - however the men in bowler hats chose to keep it quiet  :jester:  :jester:

And to add insult to injury, it was decided that the Merchant Navy in question be displayed virtually disembowelled at the NRM!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I know its 80 years since Mallard melted all the white metal out of its bearings trying to beat the Germans, but why let that get in the way of a gratuitous joke?  :jester:

What makes matters worse is 'the Germans' where using Turnips for bearings  :jester:  :jester:

Yes, I know its 80 years since Mallard melted all the white metal out of its bearings trying to beat the Germans, but why let that get in the way of a gratuitous joke?  :jester:

You may be interested to know that 05.002 also had problems with the middle bearing when it shut off steam suddenly and braked after achieving the 200.2 kmh. 

• RMweb Premium

You may be interested to know that 05.002 also had problems with the middle bearing when it shut off steam suddenly and braked after achieving the 200.2 kmh. 

I know of that run from this account, which does tail off. Have you a reference to a fuller version of Roth's account or some other source for this?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi, I'll have you know that it was only my beak that partly melted as I shut my regulator fully rather than feathering it (see what I did there?)

As for carrets then bo##ocks to those, I only eat the finest grubs and a bit of weed (the latter keeps me mellow).

A.Flapper.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

No way I'll ever concede the Germans did it better with their top secret turnip bearings.Especially since the rotters bombed My Granny's house (twice) shortly after* (true story). :nono:

I'd rather they gave it to the Malachite Mob with all those "off the record" runs at the death knock for steam. :locomotive:

* PS Don't mention the war, I did it once but I think I may have got away with it

post-23233-0-93060600-1516091262.jpg

• Like 2

And the bu**ers bombed my Grandads favourite pie shop !!!!! (Railway content - the New Springs branch is shown - gave the name to Springs branch where the famous shed was built at its junction with the WCML). They were after the Steel works at Kirkless (Wigan Coal & Iron Co) but the prevailing wind decided otherwise.

bxlb5qf8.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Premium

And the bu**ers bombed my Grandads favourite pie shop !!!!! (Railway content - the New Springs branch is shown - gave the name to Springs branch where the famous shed was built at its junction with the WCML). They were after the Steel works at Kirkless (Wigan Coal & Iron Co) but the prevailing wind decided otherwise.

bxlb5qf8.jpg

Brit15

That really is an interesting detail of history, thank you for posting it. I had no idea that Zepellins had such a bomb load. I presume that they were 25kg, or 50kg. max, but nevertheless injurious to the population...and as for bombing a Pie Shop, well!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That really is an interesting detail of history, thank you for posting it. I had no idea that Zepellins had such a bomb load. I presume that they were 25kg, or 50kg. max, but nevertheless injurious to the population...and as for bombing a Pie Shop, well!

The Zeppelin which raided wigan was reportedly a V Class version but I don't know the bomb load - however the R Class Zeps could carry up to 4 tons (?tonnes) of bombs and the Vs were I think larger.

I know of that run from this account, which does tail off. Have you a reference to a fuller version of Roth's account or some other source for this?

Hallo, I have ´three books about the 05 class, all in German,.  They are "Stromlinie" by A.B. Gottwaldt, TransPress; "Schnellverkehr der Reichsbahnzeit" Publisher GeraMond; and " Eisenbahn Journal 3/2001 "Dampf Gignaten - Classes 05 - 06 - 45"  The last two have loads of Pictures, the first one more text including the Dynamometer car printout for the 2004 km/h,. I don't know if one canm get These books in the UK but lLet me know if you need any more help.

• RMweb Premium

That Zepplin probably dropped stale Sausage on Wigan. They were seeking the Pier from what I remember not the Pie Shop. Needed to get a better translator or a better A to Z Wigan Atlas.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Just back from a few beers and a pie or two with friends at the local.

Railway content - I have read that the New Springs Branch at Wigan was the first branch line built to serve industry in the world, and not only that, after the death of Huskisson at Parkside earlier, the distance between two sets of running rails was set at 6 feet when this line was built, and became a standard.

My mother was born in Belle Green Lane opposite the site of the Industrial Bee Colliery, which was closed well before I was born, but I remember the vestiges of the old line, 6 years old, swinging on the level crossing gates while a clanking old "Dub Dee" passed, a long time ago, another world.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

Do you think Hornby will ever do a run of the 395 again?

I wouldn’t of thought so, I had one but I then sold it on. It was a good model but with the current IEPs it’s one of those models that will be something you have to buy second hand. It will be the same for the IEPs in a few years time once they are all in service and battered to hell.

• RMweb Premium

Typical. I purchased a cheap version of the "Rebuilt Battle of Britain" a few years ago and a set etched name plates from one of the traders that sell name plate set. and converted it to this locomotive.

Still I would not sell my one as it something that I did to get the locomotive in question. And I can now no longer afford to buy new models at any price. 

BR, Rebuilt Battle of Britain Class, 4-6-2, 34050 Royal Observer Corps - Era 5

Terry

The first of the Dia.1529 cattle wagons was, I think, a mistake. Given as "Era 4" but "1923-1947", the picture on Hornby's site has been replaced with one identical to the one below it in post#1.

Pity.