• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, 45655 said:

Bulleid lived at Boxhurst on the slopes of Box Hill. I believe it was at his suggestion that the Deepdene Hotel became the SR Wartime headquarters.

Keith (“i” before “e” except after “c” and “k”)

Alton.

Aha. Now the road that leads to Boxhurst is a dead end, but in March 1965 I was walking home to Betchworth from Boxhill Station, and on coming out of the trees there was a teacher's car parked there, with a 6th form girl in the passenger seat..... Boxhurst itself is decently screened. It offers fine views of the ex-SER line to Reading, of course. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

According to this page 

The re-numbered malachite Bulleids are due May/June. 

34-725    SR Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Open 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green
34-725A    SR Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Open 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green
34-750    SR Bulleid Composite Corridor 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 28/03/2023 at 18:49, Dunsignalling said:

Don't forget that the bogie centres on the Thanet stock were a foot greater than on the 59' Maunsell and Bulleid coaches, though!

Yes, paradoxically, while the 57ft 'Thanets' were 1ft (=4mm) shorter than the 58ft (over body corners) shorty Bulleids and Maunsells the bogie centres were 41ft (=164mm) while the longer coaches had 40ft centres (=160mm).

Chris KT

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well I am quite pleased. The are a number of photographs of 3 car Bulleid sets on the Taunton-Barnstaple Line in the summer of 1961. So for example, set 780, one of the 63ft sets, and set 817, one of the BCR&W built sets. But on Saturday I found a photograph of set 971, one of the earlier 57ft sets. So I can happily run both Bachmann and Hornby sets in prototypically accurate fashion. At least, I will be able to when Bachmann release their version in the relevant livery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2022 at 21:41, Mallard60022 said:

What dates approx? Basically they could be put with anything in any order. I've got WTTs for 1958 then through 1960/1/2, mainly Summer Timetables. I have decent Train Formations if you'd like them Summer SO mainly but some for Weekdays and Sundays.

Phil

Yes please Phil - those WoE train formations for SO in the 1960 timetable are exactly what I'm looking for for an Axminster themed model.

Very many thanks in advance

Toby

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2023 at 16:32, Tobbes said:

Yes please Phil - those WoE train formations for SO in the 1960 timetable are exactly what I'm looking for for an Axminster themed model.

Very many thanks in advance

Toby

Good job I checked as I missed your response. Apologies.

It will take me a little time to find them and they are as accurate as I can get them and not just from certain published books but from proper WSTTs as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 10:26, Oldddudders said:

According to this page 

The re-numbered malachite Bulleids are due May/June. 

34-725    SR Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Open 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green
34-725A    SR Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Open 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green
34-750    SR Bulleid Composite Corridor 10'' Vents SR Malachite Green

The information on the “revised” malachite Bulleids delivery is confirmed in the Summer 2023 Bachmann Times .

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2022 at 11:23, Mallard60022 said:

Rarely found and if so are usually well over £120. You then really need two SO's as well.

I spoke to Replica at the Donny Show in February 2020, literally days before you know what, and asked about the possibility of redoing these. Possibly was the response. Never happened of course and you can build your own from their parts I suppose?

I did actually get one from Ebay for less than £100 just after that encounter. I have seen one at Auction since then and I bid Maximum of £100; there was 29% + Vat + Pack and Post (very often £25 - £30) I didn't win that bid (luckily I suppose).

Why you may ask. Well One 5 Set used to work to and from Axminster, from Exeter Central, in the mornings for school and at Commuting time. It was a Pacific Turn; Tender first on return to Central! Sound reason.

P

Many thanksPhil (@Mallard60022) - I was trying to work out what this train formation was (6.50am Exeter Central - Axminster; 8.00am Axminster - Exeter Central in the summer of 1960). Were they standard BR Suburbans?

Edited by Tobbes

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tobbes said:

Many thanksPhil (@Mallard60022) - I was trying to work out what this train formation was (6.50am Exeter Central - Axminster; 8.00am Axminster - Exeter Central in the summer of 1960). Were they standard BR Suburbans?

Yes, but note that SR-allocated ones were the longer sort. Those services employed one of the sets also used on Exmouth branch services. The usual formation would be a 3-set with an additional second tacked onto each end, but occasionally both on one end.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Kernow's newsletter reports the trio of Southern livery Bulleids has arrived at Guildford and due at the warehouse next week

Collected mine from my local shop on Thursday. Had to return one of the brake thirds the next day as it had been supplied with the chassis from the BR green version, resulting in the boarding step appearing beneath the toilet window! Shop was able to swap for a good 'un. After Bachmann had gone to so much trouble to re-work these with the right numbering, lets hope it's an isolated case but one which intending purchasers might want to watch out for.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2023 at 06:58, Dunsignalling said:

Yes, but note that SR-allocated ones were the longer sort. Those services employed one of the sets also used on Exmouth branch services. The usual formation would be a 3-set with an additional second tacked onto each end, but occasionally both on one end.  

John

Thanks John and the one I will try to replicate had a Merchant Navy on the front and running tender first back to Central!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks John and the one I will try to replicate had a Merchant Navy on the front and running tender first back to Central!!

Hi. Phil,

Tender first to Central was how it was booked.  AIUI, the MN off the 8.00 am Axminster took water on arrival and went straight onto the next up Waterloo. 0800 was at the height of getting ready for school, so it wasn't one of my "spots" in term time! It generally was a MN rather than a Light Pacific, though, when I did see it.

Everything would have been nicely warmed up ready to work the heavier train hard from the start. I've long suspected that leg of the MN diagram was also used to give passed cleaners and/or passed firemen some practice at handling the big stuff. As "all-stops" with uphill getaways and dewy rails, it won't have been a doddle even with only five on.

The previous return trip was way too early for anyone who didn't need to be on it.  I only discovered there were two six o'clocks in the day when I began railway work myself! Consequently I'm not aware what worked that, was it also a Pacific turn?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello John & Phil

This might be one of things that happened on the railway to suit local circumstances. I have looked into the workings for many years but have never found a definitive answer.

I can't find anything in the 1960 Loco Rosters.

In 1954, the weekdays train was booked for a Std Class 3 2-6-2T and a WC on Saturdays.

I know the photo Phil is looking at.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello again John & Phil

1961 Loco Rosters show a WC weekdays. On Saturdays, the loco returned from Axminster, went to Exmouth Junction shed, then worked the Surbiton-Okehampton Car Carrier forward from Exeter Central.

Brian

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi. Phil,

Tender first to Central was how it was booked.  AIUI, the MN off the 8.00 am Axminster took water on arrival and went straight onto the next up Waterloo. 0800 was at the height of getting ready for school, so it wasn't one of my "spots" in term time! It generally was a MN rather than a Light Pacific, though, when I did see it.

Everything would have been nicely warmed up ready to work the heavier train hard from the start. I've long suspected that leg of the MN diagram was also used to give passed cleaners and/or passed firemen some practice at handling the big stuff. As "all-stops" with uphill getaways and dewy rails, it won't have been a doddle even with only five on.

The previous return trip was way too early for anyone who didn't need to be on it.  I only discovered there were two six o'clocks in the day when I began railway work myself! Consequently I'm not aware what worked that, was it also a Pacific turn?

John

Yes of Course. The Box Night Shifts were 22.00 to 06.00 wern't they.

P

My Bachmann Bulleid Southern coaches have arrived at the Swanage Station Shop.  I am not sure what to run the set with on my model of the Swanage Railway.  In the 1950s a T9 took charge of a set of three Bulleid coaches for the Salisbury train so perhaps a T9 in Southern livery would be suitable motive power.

P1000797.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2023 at 16:42, Robin Brasher said:

My Bachmann Bulleid Southern coaches have arrived at the Swanage Station Shop.  I am not sure what to run the set with on my model of the Swanage Railway.  In the 1950s a T9 took charge of a set of three Bulleid coaches for the Salisbury train so perhaps a T9 in Southern livery would be suitable motive power.

P1000797.JPG

A Maunsell mogul?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2023 at 22:27, Mike Miller said:

This might be of use, it certainly was to me!  Model Railway Constructor about 1948

bulleid-coach-sets-.jpg

By my reckoning (if I can count!) that's 95 3-car sets and 60 of all the other lengths put together - I didn't realise there was quite such a difference!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having finally got my 3-set of malachite Bulleids home to France, I have been adding couplings - Kadee 18s at the outer ends, Porterhouse magnetics within set - and it appears that these early 10" vent coaches all have the twin air-tank underframe, while the later 15" vent examples have the completely different single Prestall air tank. This makes a mockery of the provided leaflet, which suggests all coaches can have an additional tank added, while that only seems to have been provided in the accessory bag for the 10" vent versions. But full marks for having two different designs, which not every modeller will recognise. 

Examining Mike King's book and drawings therein, I must admit I am still not clear which arrangement went with which build of coach. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My Malachite 3 set arrived yesterday, here are some pictures of the Composite in the low winter sun this morning. 

52977654049_5c3cf9b3d5_h.jpg

52977654039_e1fdbe0b55_h.jpg

52977960888_8986744ff1_h.jpg

52976906507_502c59d40a_h.jpg

I'd hate to come across as a whiner, but I'm not overly impressed with these coaches. Obviously on balance, they are significantly better than what came before, but (and maybe the Acccurascale siphon has ruined all other RTR models for me) there are three key things that I think could've been improved on.

- No sprung buffers, to be fair, the birdcages didn't have these either & I know this is a contentious subject, but as I use scale couplings, I always appreciate their inclusion.

- Very chunky chassis detail, perhaps the brake rodding is meant to be that large, but to my eye it looks overscale.

- The bogies have no depth to them and are really just flat cosmetic sides. Hornby ones are much, much better IMO.

I'm definitely not bashing these coaches. The livery application is fantastic, the interiors look nice and there is an overall air of fidelity from the solebars up. 

Likely i'll look to change out the bogies and tweak the chassis details when I convert them to EM.

Don't wish to discourage anyone from purchasing these, as if they go on sale, i'll probably pick up another few. 

Anyways, nice coach. Bachmann, more southern coaches pls.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2023 at 01:54, Jack P said:

My Malachite 3 set arrived yesterday, here are some pictures of the Composite in the low winter sun this morning. 

52977654049_5c3cf9b3d5_h.jpg

52977654039_e1fdbe0b55_h.jpg

52977960888_8986744ff1_h.jpg

52976906507_502c59d40a_h.jpg

I'd hate to come across as a whiner, but I'm not overly impressed with these coaches. Obviously on balance, they are significantly better than what came before, but (and maybe the Acccurascale siphon has ruined all other RTR models for me) there are three key things that I think could've been improved on.

- No sprung buffers, to be fair, the birdcages didn't have these either & I know this is a contentious subject, but as I use scale couplings, I always appreciate their inclusion.

- Very chunky chassis detail, perhaps the brake rodding is meant to be that large, but to my eye it looks overscale.

- The bogies have no depth to them and are really just flat cosmetic sides. Hornby ones are much, much better IMO.

I'm definitely not bashing these coaches. The livery application is fantastic, the interiors look nice and there is an overall air of fidelity from the solebars up. 

Likely i'll look to change out the bogies and tweak the chassis details when I convert them to EM.

Don't wish to discourage anyone from purchasing these, as if they go on sale, i'll probably pick up another few. 

Anyways, nice coach. Bachmann, more southern coaches pls.

Intermediate buffers within both Bulleid and Maunsell sets (or between multiple sets) were retracted in use and would did not normally even make contact with those on neighbouring vehicles. Intermediate attachment was via the buckeye couplers and the buffing forces were carried through the gangways.  

The only circumstances under which the buffers would be extended, and therefore sprung ones would become appropriate/necessary in model form (and where a "scale" coupling would come into play) are where a "loose" coach or the van end of a set is to be coupled to a locomotive or to another coach/van not equipped with Pullman gangways...

Pullman-gangway coaches were fitted with conventional coupling hooks only (no shackles) because where coupling to a screw-coupled vehicle became necessary, that would be so equipped. IIRC, though, spare screw couplers were carried in the van ends in case the loco or other vehicle's coupling became faulty.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
clarification
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, though, spare screw couplers were carried in the van ends in case the loco or other vehicle's coupling became faulty.

Or if one of the buckeyes failed, in which case the gangway would be locked out of use, the buffers extended on both vehicles, and the emergency coupling used.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3