4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Intermediate buffers within both Bulleid and Maunsell sets (or between multiple sets) were retracted in use and did not even make contact with those on neighbouring vehicles. Intermediate attachment was via the buckeye couplers and the buffing forces were carried through the gangways.  

The only circumstances under which the buffers would be extended, and therefore sprung ones would become appropriate/necessary in model form (and where a "scale" coupling would come into play) are where a "loose" coach or the van end of a set is to be coupled to a locomotive or to another coach/van not equipped with Pullman gangways...

Pullman-gangway coaches were fitted with conventional coupling hooks only (no shackles) because where coupling to a screw-coupled vehicle became necessary, that would be so equipped. IIRC, though, spare screw couplers were carried in the van ends in case the loco or other vehicle's coupling became faulty.

John

John, 

This is absolutely a valid point, and something I'd not considered when writing up the list this morning. 

Having the buffers in the retracted position (as the Bachmann model does), and as I use Kadees in my coach rakes anyways, it's actually an overall benefit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jack P said:

Having the buffers in the retracted position (as the Bachmann model does), and as I use Kadees in my coach rakes anyways, it's actually an overall benefit.

Not least because Kadees bear a more-than-superficial resemblance to a buckeye. 

• Agree 6

14 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Intermediate buffers within both Bulleid and Maunsell sets (or between multiple sets) were retracted in use and did not even make contact with those on neighbouring vehicles ...

I think the word 'normally' should be inserted in that ; The edges of buffer heads on the inside of tight curves could, in fact, make contact so they were still sprung in the retracted position ............................... and most model railway coaches are not unfamiliar with tight curves. 😮

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think the word 'normally' should be inserted in that ; The edges of buffer heads on the inside of tight curves could, in fact, make contact so they were still sprung in the retracted position ............................... and most model railway coaches are not unfamiliar with tight curves. 😮

Duly clarified, though neither do we generally stick to the 5mph to which such stock would be limited on a scaled-up No.2 radius.... 😇

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've had a quick flick through this topic, but having the attention span of a gnat on amphetamines at the moment, I haven't been able to locate what I'm after, so would be grateful for any pointers 👉☝️👇👈

Is it possible to make up a realistic numbered blood and custard* set using a combination of a brake compo & a brake third as a two set and / or a three set with those two plus a composite?  If so what would I be looking at spending my wad on?

*as these are rather expensive (but Gurt lush) I thought I'd try get my money's worth decoration wise 👍

Cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I've had a quick flick through this topic, but having the attention span of a gnat on amphetamines at the moment, I haven't been able to locate what I'm after, so would be grateful for any pointers 👉☝️👇👈

Is it possible to make up a realistic numbered blood and custard* set using a combination of a brake compo & a brake third as a two set and / or a three set with those two plus a composite?  If so what would I be looking at spending my wad on?

*as these are rather expensive (but Gurt lush) I thought I'd try get my money's worth decoration wise 👍

Cheers

Not unless you fancy a bit of repainting.

The Brake third + Brake compo set are only available in BR green

The blood & custard ones form a brake 3rd -compo - brake 3rd set (with extra 3rd corridors to make it up to a 5 car set).

Even then no set was ever made up as brake 3rd - compo - brake compo in real life! What Bachamnn have released thus far is sufficient to replicate 3 different prototypical sets in 3 different eras

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Cheers

Details of the initial run, liveries and the correct sets that can be formed wityh Bachmann reference numbers are detailed here https://southern-railway.com/2022/10/06/Bachmann-bulleid-coaches-are-arriving-soon-a-review/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Details of the initial run, liveries and the correct sets that can be formed with Bachmann reference numbers are detailed here https://southern-railway.com/2022/10/06/Bachmann-bulleid-coaches-are-arriving-soon-a-review/

Thank you very much for that Graham, I looked at 'the' spreadsheet on SEmG, but having the cat. no's. is a massive help (although my wallet is disagreeing).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Not unless you fancy a bit of repainting.

The Brake third + Brake compo set are only available in BR green

The blood & custard ones form a brake 3rd -compo - brake 3rd set (with extra 3rd corridors to make it up to a 5 car set).

Even then no set was ever made up as brake 3rd - compo - brake compo in real life! What Bachamnn have released thus far is sufficient to replicate 3 different prototypical sets in 3 different eras

Thanks Phil, a two set it shall be 👍

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone bought the malachite green 3-set coaches and moved them forward slightly into the BR era by just removing the "Southern" lettering on the coach sides? If so is it easy to do?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, RFS said:

Has anyone bought the malachite green 3-set coaches and moved them forward slightly into the BR era by just removing the "Southern" lettering on the coach sides? If so is it easy to do?

I wondered about doing that but haven't tried, sorry, since the coach number is also in the Southern style and if I did it I'd want to change that too. I too would be interested in the answer though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I wondered about doing that but haven't tried, sorry, since the coach number is also in the Southern style and if I did it I'd want to change that too. I too would be interested in the answer though.

I'm not certain,  but I would imagine that there was an interim period when the SOUTHERN was painted out, and Gill Sans 'S' prefixes were applied to the original numbers.

An interesting livery variant!

CJI.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm not certain,  but I would imagine that there was an interim period when the SOUTHERN was painted out, and Gill Sans 'S' prefixes were applied to the original numbers.

CJI.

The loose 3rd coach - 34-775 with running number 1935 - has been produced in exactly this way as it was actually built in early 1948. My thinking is that if the "Southern" were removed from the 3-set, the coaches would then match.  Close enough to BR days to meet my rule 1 requirements!

Edited by RFS
Typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Yes indeed, but I think still too early for me. For the 1960s whilst I'd be happy with the (by then repeatedly varnished) shade of green I haven't seen any evidence of the numbers of any style still being in the high position as on Bachmann's loose 3rd coach.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

On the Isle of Wight, at least, the 'S' was in sunshine to match the numbers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Yes indeed, but I think still too early for me. For the 1960s whilst I'd be happy with the (by then repeatedly varnished) shade of green I haven't seen any evidence of the numbers of any style still being in the high position as on Bachmann's loose 3rd coach.

Yes, I've just looked. Just short of £60 at Rails. Numbers need removing and replacing as you infer. Will I do that to a £60 Coach? Not sure. However they are a big step up from the ancient Baccy versions.

I wonder if they will produce a later marked up version, as outlined here (BR 60s) anytime soon?

Phil

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes, I've just looked. Just short of £60 at Rails. Numbers need removing and replacing as you infer. Will I do that to a £60 Coach? Not sure. However they are a big step up from the ancient Baccy versions.

I wonder if they will produce a later marked up version, as outlined here (BR 60s) anytime soon?

Phil

During lockdown, I conducted a thorough refurbishment of the old (green) Bulleid 5-set that I worked-over long ago. I'm therefore content to wait until Bachmann release like-for-like replacements.

I've bought one of the new 2-sets, though when my layout ambitions and group activities were greater, I'd have had at least a couple. Similarly, my personal requirement for Crimson/cream versions is nowadays limited and I've so far only bought one, a single SK, impulse-purchased for a tad under £50 at Taunton Railex! 

Hopefully, BR green versions will emerge in the next year or so, and I'll be in the market for a 3-set as well as replacing my old 5-set. Plus, of course, a number of the "Loose" BCKs should they ever transpire.... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, RFS said:

The loose 3rd coach - 34-775 with running number 1935 - has been produced in exactly this way as it was actually built in early 1948. My thinking is that if the "Southern" were removed from the 3-set, the coaches would then match.  Close enough to BR days to meet my rule 1 requirements!

I purchased two of these from Kernow and removed the 'Southern', 3 and SR-style numbering and renumbered them BR style using HMRS sheet 14. The green matches nicely with the Hornby 'Shorty' BR green rake, also the same manufacturers BR green Maunsell coaches. If the price drops a little more on the three-set I would be tempted!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The new generation of Bulleid coaches are superb but expensive. I have three of the earlier releases, which I have improved by fitting Comet brass sides (about £10 a pair). Whilst it takes a bit of modelling effort, the results are worthwhile and satisfying at a lower cost. 

IMG_2321.jpeg.07c5f9eca592764aff31c84701ba562c.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg.07572a124055688183d393ec3d3dbb52.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg.6cc487ae650a4703a8405117cad1ed45.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg.43be53d09cae9bb5268954cc13562e99.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Edit] The model is based on the picture in "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches" by Mike King, Plate 165...   

Sorry I missed the fact that you referred to 'still' and I also doubt they would have been such in 1960s 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, coronach said:

The new generation of Bulleid coaches are superb but expensive. I have three of the earlier releases, which I have improved by fitting Comet brass sides (about £10 a pair). Whilst it takes a bit of modelling effort, the results are worthwhile and satisfying at a lower cost. 

IMG_2321.jpeg.07c5f9eca592764aff31c84701ba562c.jpeg

IMG_2471.jpeg.07572a124055688183d393ec3d3dbb52.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg.6cc487ae650a4703a8405117cad1ed45.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg.43be53d09cae9bb5268954cc13562e99.jpeg

Nice one. It looks really good.

Done a few myself and a couple of Mousa Sides. I also have used Comet sides on Southern Pride Shells etc. An exact fit for those as the original Baccy versions are just too short. 

Also got far too many whole Comet Kits to finish or even start!

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The fact that you have not seen any evidence means Bachmann must be wrong? 

Try "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches" by Mike King, Plate 165...   I know that Mike also provided other reference information to Bachmann for their Bulleid coach project.

I respect that Graham, however if we are talking 1960 onwards, as for my efforts, I too have not seen one picture where the numbers are in that position as far as I can see.

Phil

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I respect that Graham, however if we are talking 1960 onwards, as for my efforts, I too have not seen one picture where the numbers are in that position as far as I can see.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I had missed the the 'still' so have edited my response above. (note to self, stop skim reading) 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the discussion here about lettering and so on, I was wondering if there are any opinions about the shade of crimson on the CLC versions. There have been so many versions of this over the years , none of which - in my option - are correct. This makes it a right pain if you want to build the 'missing' BCK or a tavern car pair.

Sorry to ask but, other than photos, I've yet to see any of the new Bachman Bulleids in CLC livery.

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will not offer an opinion about 'correct' but can say the new Bachmanns do not jar next to those painted by Larry Goddard, who reckons to know a thing or two about coach colours.

Quite irrelevant, but my SNCF post-war railcar fleet, in a similar crimson/cream livery, has more variations among manufacturers Mistral, REE, LS Models and Jouef.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1