• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Edit] The model is based on the picture in "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches" by Mike King, Plate 165...   

Sorry I missed the fact that you referred to 'still' and I also doubt they would have been such in 1960s 

Graham - have posted this picture before, but it's a still from a film that was shot in 1966. As you can see, the first coach (and the one before it) is clearly still in varnished malachite at this late stage when you compare to the following coaches. 

Coaches.jpg.779c0b27816b10659520cf54f2c28b08.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, RFS said:

Graham - have posted this picture before, but it's a still from a film that was shot in 1966. As you can see, the first coach (and the one before it) is clearly still in varnished malachite at this late stage when you compare to the following coaches. 

Yup, but the number is in the usual place to the right of the Door/under the Toilet Window. That's what was being discussed.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the numbering/letting was applied after the first coat(s) of varnish, so the process of revarnishing would naturally remove the existing lettering - hence a revarnished vehicle would always come out with the latest style.

As for the correct crimson, doesn't that depend on whether it's been more than a week since the vehicle was outshopped? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Hi,

As Phil has advised, this discussion is with respect to the number position not the colour.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the numbering/letting was applied after the first coat(s) of varnish, so the process of revarnishing would naturally remove the existing lettering - hence a revarnished vehicle would always come out with the latest style.

Not following this - varnish is clear, so why would the first coat(s) of varnish remove the existing lettering?

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Not following this - varnish is clear, so why would the first coat(s) of varnish remove the existing lettering?

CJI.

It'd be the rubbing down of the old varnish that'd remove the lettering, not the adding of new.

I could have sworn there was a thread about it on here somewhere, listing all the various layers, but of course I can't find it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45568 said:

I purchased two of these from Kernow and removed the 'Southern', 3 and SR-style numbering and renumbered them BR style using HMRS sheet 14. The green matches nicely with the Hornby 'Shorty' BR green rake, also the same manufacturers BR green Maunsell coaches. If the price drops a little more on the three-set I would be tempted!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

3 hours ago, RFS said:

For the 3-set, I fear it may be more complicated than what you suggest 45568. In addition removing the Southern lettering, 1s and 3s, coach numbers and seat numbers above each window, for the 1960s at least the coaches should probably have the reinforcing strips along the bottom of the bodyside, as in RFS's photo, which only Bachmann's BR green versions have had so far.

That raises another issue though... the reinforcing strips appear to have been painted into the same green as the rest of the coach. Would they have mixed the paint specially, or were there stocks available? Presumably doing so was still cheaper than repainting the whole coach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

For the 3-set, I fear it may be more complicated than what you suggest 45568. In addition removing the Southern lettering, 1s and 3s, coach numbers and seat numbers above each window, for the 1960s at least the coaches should probably have the reinforcing strips along the bottom of the bodyside, as in RFS's photo, which only Bachmann's BR green versions have had so far.

That raises another issue though... the reinforcing strips appear to have been painted into the same green as the rest of the coach. Would they have mixed the paint specially, or were there stocks available? Presumably doing so was still cheaper than repainting the whole coach.

The lighter green would still have been in regular use for retouching coaches undergoing overhaul where the existing paint was in a generally serviceable state. 

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick C said:

It'd be the rubbing down of the old varnish that'd remove the lettering, not the adding of new.

I could have sworn there was a thread about it on here somewhere, listing all the various layers, but of course I can't find it!

As we know only too well - there is a very fine line between rubbing-down to remove numbers, and removing the paint beneath it.

For this reason, I would guess that the SR numbering and lettering were painted-over as part of the process.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As we know only too well - there is a very fine line between rubbing-down to remove numbers, and removing the paint beneath it.

For this reason, I would guess that the SR numbering and lettering were painted-over as part of the process.

CJI.

I was under the impression that lettering/numbering were usually applied onto a patch of new varnish, and then sealed in with the overall coat. Therefore, the underlying paint should be protected when rubbing down.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 2 weeks later...

BR green, whatever the shade of green, something to go with the brake coaches, please!!! The research has presumably been done, there are common components, SR (BR) modelling is not exactly a niche activity - what are you waiting for - Accurascale please please note!! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Vanfit said:

BR green, whatever the shade of green, something to go with the brake coaches, please!!! The research has presumably been done, there are common components, SR (BR) modelling is not exactly a niche activity - what are you waiting for - Accurascale please please note!! 

The BR(s) green BCK and BTK make up a correct and complete 2 coach set. 

Obviously there will likely be a further production run in the future with other livery variations, as with all these things be patient, in the mean time there is a nice 5 coach set in Crimson lake and Cream that can legitimately be run alongside the BR(s) green set. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2022 at 22:07, Kirby Uncoupler said:

So I took the plunge, and bought one malachite SK as a guinea pig (btw, there were only five, 1932-36), removed the factory lettering, and re-numbered it with Fox's BR yellow numerals. I'm happy with the result, this will be a "loose" add-on coach, apparently the matching brakes and compos are delayed?

Cheers, Brian

20221107_204611.jpg.775b21b26150de728d0d9dfbc248267f.jpg

Hello again after a while!

I've now done the same as you and converted my S1935 coach as above. First time I've done this. so can I ask if you have varnished over the transfers above and if so with what type? Just want to get everything right as I'm about to do the same on the 3-set from which I've already removed the SOUTHERN decals and the 3s on the doors.

Thanks

• Like 4

12 hours ago, RFS said:

Hello again after a while!

I've now done the same as you and converted my S1935 coach as above. First time I've done this. so can I ask if you have varnished over the transfers above and if so with what type? Just want to get everything right as I'm about to do the same on the 3-set from which I've already removed the SOUTHERN decals and the 3s on the doors.

Thanks

Hi Robert, glad it went okay. In this instance, I would advise against spraying varnish over the whole sides, since removing the glazing is difficult, and likely to break/snap etc., meaning disaster.  I just dry-brushed on the minimum of satin varnish, only over the transfers. Anything for an easy life!

Or if you must spray, cover the  windows with masking tape, and just spray the lower half of the body, or just the transfers, with a very thin layer, don't blast away. One quick swipe from a foot away will do. Don't over do it, just enough to cover that transfer shine, and supposedly "seal" the transfer.  It needs a delicate touch.

If not confident of doing the above, just leave the transfers as they are, if they come off later, just put some new ones on.  

Cheers, Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, 

It would be good if Bachmann did the 3 coach set with a CK in BR Carmine and Cream or BR Green. Fred

The 3-coach set in Carmine and Cream is already available. Also two matching corridor seconds to allow configuring as 4-set or 5-set. For BR Green you'll either have to wait for Bachmann to produce this, or alternatively, do as some of us are doing, and replace the decals on the SR green coaches with BR ones. 

It's around 18 months since Bachmann released these new coaches, but it seems most shops are still awash with stock. Perhaps that's one reason why we haven't seen any new versions yet.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, RFS said:

Perhaps that's one reason why we haven't seen any new versions yet.

It doesn't seem the Bachmann way to rapidly follow up a new release with 'missing' liveries. For example, maroon Portholes took a long time to arrive. And still no sign of the Cl 117/121 DMUs with SYP. They must have data on what sells - but stock hanging around might suggest that they made the wrong choice.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

It doesn't seem the Bachmann way to rapidly follow up a new release with 'missing' liveries. For example, maroon Portholes took a long time to arrive. And still no sign of the Cl 117/121 DMUs with SYP. They must have data on what sells - but stock hanging around might suggest that they made the wrong choice.

Past observation suggests that Bachmann prefer to produce the BR crimson/cream livery ahead of the 1956 versions. My take on it is that if they produced the latter first, many wouldn't bother with the cr/c at all, but the "must have the latest models" mob are considered less picky.

Personally, I'm hanging on to my worked-over old ones until what I want turns up.

I've bought a 2-set and a cr/c SK that clearly demonstrate they'll be worth the wait.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

My take on it is that if they produced the latter first, many wouldn't bother with the cr/c at all, but the "must have the latest models" mob are considered less picky.

Yes, I have seen that suggested before. But if it is the case that CR&C ones are hanging around then they still seem to have got the production run wrong.

Like you I am happy to wait for a BR Green set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Making progress in creating a BR Green set in the lighter shade of green that I prefer. All the Southern transfers came off easily just by careful scraping with a cocktail stick. I've now applied the BR numbers as below. Not quite happy with a couple of the numbers so I'm going to replace them. Just got the composite to do now, but I'm happy with the results so far.

BulleidCoach.jpg.1f1b942aa5b97ea3b6c07acf654ac62a.jpg

Edited by RFS
Typo
  • Like 7