On 10/11/2022 at 08:17, Dunsignalling said:

They both are, but the light (from a window on the right, with a white card reflector on the left) is catching each differently.

I worked up a set of five twenty-odd years back and refurbished them with new bogies (the originals were quite worn) and a few minor alterations during lockdown. 

The glazing is rather a faff to do, because the sizes of the window apertures in the coach bodies aren't consistent. I think that's why there's never been a Lazerglaze set produced for them.

I did most of the job during quiet evenings over a couple of cycles of late turns in the box. An hour at a time was quite enough to keep me "amused".

At the time, I was active with the Taunton Model Railway Group, and the (then almost new) set can be seen in the photos that accompanied the first article on the Bath Green Park layout in the Railway Modeller for December 2002. 

John

As I have been unable to sell my old Bulleid coach sets (nobody seems to want them, but I can't get more new ones until I sell a few items, both for the cash and for the storage space), I decided to get on with flush-glazing the crimson and cream set. I have had the SEF glazing sets sitting in a drawer for decades now, but like you, the one that I did years ago involved quite a bit of faffing around. The current set is no exception to this! I have completed a brake coach, with the other two still to do. It's a job I keep putting off or finding other things to do*, but they will get done soon.

*In that time I have nearly completed a hack using two spare Bachmann 2 EPB bodies to create one centre coach for a 2H DEMU. I started this after doing the glazing on the Bulleid BSoK!

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In a smaller shop last week, the owner was bemoaning the fact that he'd got the BR(S) green BTK and BCK to sell - but no intermediate coaches. I had to point out that those two were the complete set, being 2-Set 69, of the series 63-75. He was unaware of the existence of 2-Sets, but had, however, heard of the misadventure with the malachite coaches' numbers. 

I still think Bachmann have missed a trick in better broadcasting what prototypical sets the separate coaches will make up. They went to the effort of producing all the right variations and fell at the final hurdle IMO. If the folk selling the coaches aren't aware, how can they help those buying them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I still think Bachmann have missed a trick in better broadcasting what prototypical sets the separate coaches will make up. They went to the effort of producing all the right variations and fell at the final hurdle IMO. If the folk selling the coaches aren't aware, how can they help those buying them?

Exactly Chris. More info seemingly required for Traders, as not everyone running a Shop is as experienced (or informed) as 'us' with the relevant info, or with an interest in the particular era. Age is a benefit with these items if course.

If I worked in one of the stores shifting stuff like this, I'd need huge amounts of info on anything post 1968 and most certainly anything since 1990 ish! 

Maybe worth dropping them a line and offering to provide some info. I know Tony Wright helped DJH Kits improve their Instructions for LNER pacific Kits. Not quite the same, but...

It isn't just with Bulleid Stock either. Midland Coaches, such as the Porthole Stock (Hornby?), could have had some decent info on their use. In fact and producer of Coaches could pop some info on typical use on or in the Boxes, or at least as notes to the Traders to pass on at sale or advertsing.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

I'll give you a ring when I'm stuck......

SB

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...

RoS are now advertising what seems to be a new batch of Bulleids, including C&C, BR(S) green and SR Malachite Green  .One of these (34-800 is a Brake Composite - is this the long awaited 3402 version . (Set No. 69) needed for WoE trains?

Edited by GeoffBird

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

RoS are now advertising what seems to be a new batch of Bulleids, including C&C, BR(S) green and SR Malachite Green  .One of these (34-800 is a Brake Composite - is this the long awaited 3402 version . (Set No. 69) needed for WoE trains?

No, these are the already-released Bulleids but now at a 20% discount compared to 15% when first available. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PortlandStone said:

Forgive me for being late to the party.

The darker green of the new BR(SR) Bulleid BCK is very close to the green Bachmann used on a BR(SR)GUV some years ago.

it is also a very close match to the green used by Larry Goddard.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/11/2022 at 20:21, 2ManySpams said:

When I bought my Hornby 3set I actually looked up which ones to get in order to make up a proper set. There was only one CK in the shop so it had to be an SR set. 

Bachmann could do the same but I'd only forget on the way to the shop so I'd still do a little research and write down what set's can be made. I'd probably put a note on my phone and use that. I'd becstarting with a 3 set anyway as I'm unlikely to afford anything more in one hit but I can always add to it later and go up to a 6 coach rake later. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

When I bought my Hornby 3set zi actually looked up which ones to get in order to make up a proper set. There was only one CK in the shop so it had to be an SR set. 

Bachmann could do the same but I'd only forget on the way to the shop so I'd still do a little research and write down what set's can be made. I'd probably put a note on my phone and use that. I'd becstarting with a 3 set anyway as I'm unlikely to afford anything more in one hit but I can always add to it later and go up to a 6 coach rake later. 

If you are talking Bulleids, three or five make a set where the ones currently on offer from Bachmann are concerned. 6-sets were rare and included dining cars. Five with an extra SK tacked on the end is the way to go if you want a six coach formation.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you are talking Bulleids, three or five make a set where the ones currently on offer from Bachmann are concerned. 6-sets were rare and included dining cars. Five with an extra SK tacked on the end is the way to go if you want a six coach formation.

John

That's good to know as I know they were strengthened with 'loose' coaches during the summer. Thanks for the info. 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, andytrains said:

Where are the Maroon ones transferred to the Scr region?

Same place as the 3/5 sets in BR green and the 2-set in Crimson/cream?

Some way down the road, I'd guess.

If the gap turns out to be as big as that between the Cr/C Thompsons and the maroon versions, some considerable way!

Maybe an opportunity for a Scottish retailer to commission some? IIRC only BCKs and SKs went north.

Edit: I didn't recall correctly - as pointed out later, only SOs went to Scotland. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Same place as the 3/5 sets in BR green and the 2-set in Crimson/cream?

Some way down the road, I'd guess.

If the gap turns out to be as big as that between the Cr/C Thompsons and the maroon versions, some considerable way!

Maybe an opportunity for a Scottish retailer to commission some? IIRC only BCKs and SKs went north.

John

Some BCKs that went to the WR carried maroon. They might have been the other diagram (ie the 'loose' ones) rather than the one Bachmann has modelled.

The ones that went to the ER and SCR were all open seconds, but Bachmann is not making the open second as yet.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, robertcwp said:

Some BCKs that went to the WR carried maroon. They might have been the other diagram (ie the 'loose' ones) rather than the one Bachmann has modelled.

The ones that went to the ER and SCR were all open seconds, but Bachmann is not making the open second as yet.

I think the WR BCKs were the D.2406 loose sort.

Thanks for the correction re. the seconds. Did no brakes go to Scotland?

9 minutes ago, SR Chris said:

There's lovely ...

695602199_DSCF0580(3).JPG.4d3c3ded95a29c1daff0169f1f2feab7.JPG

707393148_DSCF0585(2).JPG.bb916746280d2ee54517eb78151dd971.JPG

1376927014_DSCF0581(2).JPG.fcaa698d045e456a89588946e55cb224.JPG

Thanks for posting these lovely pictures.

I hadn't twigged that theses new models come with the strengthening ribs fitted later in their lives below the windows. So a different pattern to Bachmann's older model of these coaches.

John.

5 hours ago, RFS said:

Here's the link - Bulleid coach at Leeds

Many thanks for that - sometimes I can manage it and sometimes I can't....!

4 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Not aware of any brakes going to Scotland.

Maybe Scotland didn't need them, or maybe there weren't any spare ones as the Western had grabbed them all (for some reason.....!)

A couple of instances of Bulleid brake vehicle use on the WR in 1965 I know where to find in my book collection:

'Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country' page 19 - excellent colour view of a rather battered-looking D1010 crossing a viaduct in the Fowey valley with a rake of BR Mark 1s except the second vehicle which is a green Bulleid brake coach - its remarkably clean light grey roof also stands out in the otherwise all-maroon train. Dated 4/9/65.

'Western Region in the 1960s' - 0-6-2T 6643 working a 4-coach enthusiasts' special near Cwm Bargoed - two Mark 1s, a Hawksworth and  Bulleid brake on the rear - again its roof looks cleaner than the other three (could be the same vehicle?) - the caption points it out as one of the transfers from the SR which were "subsequently painted in maroon livery" but in this b&w photo and its position at the far end of the train its livery cannot be determined.

Some Bulleid stock transferred to the WR and ScR clearly were repainted maroon but whether eventually they all were is uncertain, to me anyway. Those which went far north were followed by a few green Mark 1s and I believe these became the last green Mark 1s in service.

Edited by Halvarras
Added word for clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1