Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

21 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

While we wait on the latest two catalogue releases of the J36, I wonder if we might ever see this niche livery covered in RTR form?

One of the LNER versions transformed into Apple Green as No. 5330 by myself, a livery only worn by it and No. 5211 but did see both LNER and British Railways insignia while wearing this paint.

FB_IMG_1655133422150.jpg

Oh my... I love Apple Green with BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering. It would give me an excuse to buy another J36 if Hornby does release one (at an affordable price) (I already have a BR black one)

Did other LNER 0-6-0s wear Apple Green post-WWII and into 1948?

7 hours ago, Legend said:

Never knew they got green . I know the Hornby proposed model of 1980 was green (it got cancelled for the APT instead) but thought that was just Hornby painting one up . There is also a run of the mill black LNER one to be done as opposed to the L&NER we had in the first batch . I ended up buying Maude and BR one . Superb little engines . I had hoped it would encourage Hornby to make more Scottish locos , but the J36 appeared during Simon Kohlers "sabbatical" and hes now back ! 

Yes, the British Railways lettering and ROD versions appear to be falling off the face of the earth...

Luckily, if you have the courage, it's not too difficult to convert the BR examples into plain LNER black livery with some cutting off of the smokebox numberplate.  So far in my own collection I have Maude as released, and three Fife allocated BR period.  For a friend however, I've created the green example as shown but also 'Maude' with full LNER lettering lightly weathered and now also in the process of creating a heavily weathered 'NE' version with tender cab from NIU.

IMG-20211209-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ddab0da6e1b3e6a9b571fbb23a4c84ce.jpg

20220612_222423.thumb.jpg.ea5bd3f65681a12ea254a4b331cdaf23.jpg

It's nice to see that other manufacturers have jumped on and furthering the Scottish interest, will be a pity if Hornby are left behind.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, toby_tl10 said:

Oh my... I love Apple Green with BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering. It would give me an excuse to buy another J36 if Hornby does release one (at an affordable price) (I already have a BR black one)

This thread over at LNER.info is rather handy, towards the bottom lists the classes that at least one member received green post war as part of the effort:

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11872

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

At least one J39 was so treated as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Likewise Maude and two [!] L&NER ones... in retrospect, a wise move

Very wise indeed. I decided to wait, hoping a LNER version would appear soon, but to no avail. And now I'm thinking about renumbering a BR or L&NER one, they're gone... 

2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Very wise indeed. I decided to wait, hoping a LNER version would appear soon, but to no avail. And now I'm thinking about renumbering a BR or L&NER one, they're gone... 

If you do get the chance of one, remember that the BR versions have smokebox numberplates which will need carving off

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Idly trawling through Google [as you do] this morning Olivia's Trains are offering a couple of L&NER J36s - both no 722 so nothing obviously new in the way of releases, but... while one's being offered for £150, the other at £185 comes with a tender cab

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2022 at 10:47, Caledonian said:

If you do get the chance of one, remember that the BR versions have smokebox numberplates which will need carving off

I saw that Morris Models have a L&NER version, how long would this have kept the red lining? Or is a BR version a better starting point?

2 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Do you think it's the NIU models one? 

NIU ?

I'm assuming its part of the original Hornby release, otherwise I would have expected a different number

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

NIU ?

A small company making some interesting 3D subjects, like the add-on tender cab for the J36, but also folded steps for Oxford's railway gun, a LNER munition van, a snowplough... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Didn't the BR version have a tender cab and snowplough in the box?

Never got one so can't confirm. But I assume they probably just put it on the other version.

Jason

All versions came with a snowplough, the tender cab not yet produced by Hornby.  Most likely an NIU product.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2022 at 22:26, JonathonAG said:

Ideas for how Hornby can expand their LNER offerings of the class?

The rearmost is as released with no alterations.

From then, it's No. 9673 'Maude' with LNER tender lettering, No. 5237 with shortened NE lettering and fitted with NIU tender cab and steps, finishing up with the previously shown No. 5330 in lined apple green with the squared off safety valve mount.

No. 9673 and 5330 were full repaints of the LNER RTR release, No. 5237 was a renumber of the BR release with the smokebox numberplate filed off.  On all models, vacuum/westinghouse braking equipment was altered to correctly match the prototypes.

IMG_20220702_203137_197.jpg

Looking real good, saw them on Instagram, buton a bigger screen they're even better! (And now I know where they all are too.) 

My contribution to 'modded Maudes'...

1280427642_DSCN0423(3).thumb.JPG.3dd938c34ce1384f888e6c2a61eab0dc.JPG

This was a purchase from Oz Ebay where someone had renumbered a BR 'Haig' to LNER livery, but not very well. I stripped off the LNER lettering and numbers and removed the vacuum fittings. Various parts such as brake rodding and the cab tarpaulin had to be fabricated and replaced. Although not present in this view, the conspicuous weld repair to the lower r/h tender side was also added from 10 thou plastic card.

The whole was resprayed Tamiya semi-gloss black from a spray can. Numbering and name came from an old Modelmaster sheet of Sc.R names and numbers, tender emblem is Fox.

A lovely little runner, it works alongside Haig and Somme. Certainly one of Hornby's best, and very good value at the time of release. I had hoped it would be followed by a 'Glen', surely a best seller with a range of attractive liveries and names to choose from, but the world had other plans.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, 45568 said:

This was a purchase from Oz Ebay where someone had renumbered a BR 'Haig' to LNER livery, but not very well. I stripped off the LNER lettering and numbers and removed the vacuum fittings. Various parts such as brake rodding and the cab tarpaulin had to be fabricated and replaced. Although not present in this view, the conspicuous weld repair to the lower r/h tender side was also added from 10 thou plastic card.

The whole was resprayed Tamiya semi-gloss black from a spray can. Numbering and name came from an old Modelmaster sheet of Sc.R names and numbers, tender emblem is Fox.

A lovely little runner, it works alongside Haig and Somme. Certainly one of Hornby's best, and very good value at the time of release. I had hoped it would be followed by a 'Glen', surely a best seller with a range of attractive liveries and names to choose from, but the world had other plans.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Lovely!  Out of curiosity, what material have you used for the tarpaulin?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45568 said:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The subject of a D34 Glen, which if considered seriously would also include a D30 Scott as both classes apart from the driving wheel size and attendant splasher size, were the same externally were proposed ( by goodness knows how many modellers plus even some offers of drawings etc. ) to Hornby at a few decades worth of AMRSS Shows in Glasgow but it has fallen on deaf ears.

Even the "two classes for one" plus a fraction of  development costs for the second class  re the aforementioned driving wheels and splashers cut no ice. Add in to that the attractive names for marketing purposes have all been pointed out to them (and other manufacturers).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1