Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Well it had been a hell of a day, you know one of these days where everything you touch seems to go wrong ? So when my TTS J36 Maude arrived last Monday from Rails , instead of the usual rush up the loft to see how it ran, I resisted, as this was the first DCC Model I’d ever bought and I’d need to disconnect the TTS gubbins and put a blanking plate in (thanks Islesley) .  Glad I did . Today with some trepidation I took the tender body off and all that was required was to take out the chip and slip in the blanking plug. I’ve left all the sound gubbins in there, just in case in a fit of madness at some stage in the future I do buy a DCC Controller.  What a fantastic wee runner on DC . Maude is a star and joins her plain black, but just as lovely, sister Haig . Great locos .  From a really slow speed crawl through the speed range a fantastic little runner . A resounding well done Hornby 

While you may think not using the TTS chip is a waste . This model was sourced from Rails (price when first announced)at £126 plus postage which I think brought it in at £131 in total . Excellent value without sound never mind with ,and comparing very favourably with Rails /Bachmann (whenever it arrives) Caley 812 @£200 . I would have ordered multiples of them too but cant get over the feeling of being exploited. Ahh but the Caley liveries complex , well it can’t be that much different from the exsquisite NBR livery on Maude except of course the base colour on the Caley is blue instead of Maude black. It’s just a pity its not Hornby doing the 812. 

More Scottish locos please . I know there’s not a preserved one around , but come on it can’t have escaped your notice that pretty pre grouping locos sell. How about a Caley Dunalastair 4-4-0 or even an NBR Glen , one of which is preserved.

Really fantastic loco this J36

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2019 at 20:05, Tim Lewis said:

Thanks for that David.  I had discounted 65233 on the basis that (according to Yeadon) it didn't get to Hawick until the late 50s whereas my timeframe is late 40s/early 50s - perhaps I shouldn't be so picky??!!

I had thought of just doing a "quick" conversion using Alan Gibson components (assuming he does or will do a conversion pack, or that the axles are already the correct diameter): is the NBR Developments chassis very good?

You're right about, 65233, Tim - and it wasn't at Hawick long, if I remember. 

By "Alan Gibson components" do you mean milled frames? If so, the NBD chassis is far superior. It needs to be lengthened at front and/or rear as it was originally made for a whitemetal body which was too short or had thick drag and buffer beams. But the wheelbase is right. 

Best, 

David. 

• Like 1

Gents,

With regard to the blanking plug for the DCC/TTS sound chip, is this supplied with Maude or must it be purchased elsewhere? If the latter, is there any recommendations as to a source?

I'm at work just now so won't get my hands on my example until Thursday.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Gents,

With regard to the blanking plug for the DCC/TTS sound chip, is this supplied with Maude or must it be purchased elsewhere? If the latter, is there any recommendations as to a source?

My 673 Maude did not come with a blanking plug.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't come with it - it's supplied as a Hornby Spare though - available from Peter's Spares circa £3.00 - it seems to be Hornby's Standard plug - X9084R, though it might be worth checking with them.

Edited by Bob Reid
Additional Info...
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Gents,

Didnt come with a blanking plug . Paul Islesley sent me a couple in the post when I enquired after Model Rail Scotland , but the pins got bent in the post . However Pastimes in George’s Cross gave me one free of charge, well for a donation to the lifeboat fund . Be quick though as regretably for us (but well done to them) the proprietors retire on 27th April and Pastimes closes down. 

I just asked for an 8 pin blanking plug . Works absolutely fine 

Edited by Legend
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Gents,

The Hornby 8 pin blanking plugs are not that easy to obtain, and there are different versions for models with more complex lighting functions, as Hornby use the 8 pin format across their range. You need the basic type used on models without lighting, mainly steam outline types and the ex Lima models.  I've built up a small stock from those I've removed from Class 121 chassis that I've used the motor bogie in other projects. I've seen Peter's Spares listing both parts of the plug and socket on e-bay. You can use the Bachmann version 36-057, sold in packs of 10, but most on line retailers seem to be out of stock. If you have problems, pm me and I can send you one of my small stock. I've just used one of my reserve on the Lord Nelson tts.

Edited by rembrow
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of wire in an “L” shape on the corner pins works..

CE32C44A-1405-4C60-8FB4-39F74E75096E.jpeg.d3564e3cdf3fb2c5aeb7ef15c11a0d7b.jpeg

accomplished here using  a bit of metal twine off of a bottle of Spanish red Rioja that was drunk. Inserted onto a dummy class 17 chassis with a standard 8 pin slot, to ensure the lights still work.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 60159 said:

You might be interested to see my take on Dundee's 65319 with weatherboard tender cab. Kittybrewster's 65340 also had a similar, if not the same, weatherboard tender cab which might suggest it was fashioned and fitted at the same works - Inverurie perhaps?

Nice job! I bet you're pleased with that. 

For Tim Lewis, RCTS have this for sale, rear view of a tender-cab-fitted loco at Hawick: 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-lner/j-0-6-0/j36/hA8915E14#ha8915e14

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2019 at 10:08, Tim Lewis said:

I've been meaning to ask - does anyone know of the source of a drawing showing the tender cabs?  I have an early BR version that will become one of the Hawick locos (can't decide which yet), all of which had tender cabs of varying sorts.  There are several pictures in Yeadon and elsewhere, and if all else fails I can probably make a decent guess at dimensions, but a drawing would be preferable.

Thanks in advance.

PM sent Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A bit of wire in an “L” shape on the corner pins works..

CE32C44A-1405-4C60-8FB4-39F74E75096E.jpeg.d3564e3cdf3fb2c5aeb7ef15c11a0d7b.jpeg

accomplished here using  a bit of metal twine off of a bottle of Spanish red Rioja that was drunk. Inserted onto a dummy class 17 chassis with a standard 8 pin slot, to ensure the lights still work.

Very good. And it should be easier on the J36 as there are no lights,  so you only need to bridge the  2 pins on each end. Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Interesting clanger by Hattons, is the colour that dark?- Hornby R3600TTS Class J36 0-6-0 673 "Maude" in North British Railway lined black

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337743/Hornby_R3600TTS_Class_J36_0_6_0_673_Maude_in_North_British_Railway_lined_black_as_preserved_TT/StockDetail.aspx

Not sure I understand . It is black. Can’t see the clanger. What am I missing?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It is black. But I always thought that the real one looks a bit grey in certain light conditions.

Jason

We've argued about shades of green, red and maroon on this forum but I never thought we'd actually get to disagree that 'black is black' :)

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

We've argued about shades of green, red and maroon on this forum but I never thought we'd actually get to disagree that 'black is black' :)

There are many different shades of black. In fact many scientists will tell you there is no such thing as black.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/black-colour

And no I'm not referring to a dodgy book/film. ;)

Don't forget that LNWR engines were Blackberry Black which has a slightly blue sheen. It's also possible that any lining will change the colour perception.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143358-penrhyn-loco-colour-question/

You are relying on the painters using pigments to create a colour and I doubt that pure black exists in nature. Maybe with modern chemical paints it does.

So IMHO Maude in it's NBR condition does have a slight grey/blue tinge.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j36+maude&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9vLLf9ujhAhXVqHEKHS0zB3UQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1366&bih=655#imgrc=_

Jason