Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

5 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Flippin' 'eck! Hey ho, looks like 25057 is getting a weathered finish then? Or had that just been done for the display?

It is listed as being weathered (if released as per the Warley sample that would be 'lightly weathered' as opposed to 'typically filthy')

23 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Its very light weathering on the body , but the give away is the bogie area.   

I had to look twice when i was there

21 hours ago, Halvarras said:

And the roof and buffer heads. Within a month of a works overhaul I'd say.....

I agree with "Suzy Sulzer" it is quite light weathering, but just enough to make the detail stand out. One of the clues is the translucent fibreglass roof panel over the engine.  This should be a translucent creamy very pale yellow colour, but accumulated soot and grime whilst in service.

"Reclaiming" the translucent feel is probably the only attention I will give to mine when I purchase it, apart from maybe picking a little of the bogie pipe runs out in white. My 25s will be 1970s era and mostly quite clean. 

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 08:51, Suzy Sulzer said:

Its very light weathering on the body , but the give away is the bogie area.   

I had to look twice when i was there

The only thing I'd be cautious about is that my recent experience is that the weathered samples in the cabinet and the catalogue often differ from the production batch. The production versions of  recent WD and 9Fs for example  are less subtle and have some questionable shades (especially 'brick red' all over the frames) than what was shown before release. Fixable but I wonder if the very light dusting this sample has received will be borne out in the production versions. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atherton said:

Personally I would have preferred it the other way around, with a well weathered green 25 and the blue one clean as ex-works in a transition period layout. You don't see many photos of clean green 25's do you?

Given there is only two versions being released, I would rather neither were. Factory weathering is all a bit ‘meh’ for me.

• Agree 3

Yep that's fair, and certainly the approach Accurascale take. Most of my Sulzers are freight only so never clean and I always add to the factory weathering anyway, although renumbering 25057 to a four digit version and changing the headcode would not look out of place ex works for me....

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Given there is only two versions being released, I would rather neither were. Factory weathering is all a bit ‘meh’ for me.

The actual wording is “two models have been announced so far

given since this was announced in Jan 2018, two different rtr 25’s have been announced, (July 2018 Heljan, Feb 2021 SLWj  some secrecy could be understood. Theres a whole world of class 25’s to explore, they might share a class number but theres a world of differences.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2024 at 14:09, Paul.Uni said:

New RRP:

• 32-340 - £209.95
  • 32-341 - £199.95

Interesting that this is lower than the class 20. Remarkable what having a competing model in the market from a rival does for prices.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Interesting that this is lower than the class 20. Remarkable what having a competing model in the market from a rival does for prices.  

2 competing models…

though I fear the Heljan 25 myself, the SLW 25 is a hard act to follow at any price.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

2 competing models…

though I fear the Heljan 25 myself, the SLW 25 is a hard act to follow at any price.

Deliberately omitted SLW as I don’t consider them to be mass market. My 25 is coming from SLW based on the fact that from images published so far I believe it is the most realistic 4mm plastic model I have ever seen!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

2 competing models…

Agree that the SLW '25 is the top dog in terms of quality,  I have two on order .

But delivery times are slowwwww ! 

Those who can't / won't wait may be attracted to what's currently available. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

Agree that the SLW '25 is the top dog in terms of quality,  I have two on order .

But delivery times are slowwwww ! 

Those who can't / won't wait may be attracted to what's currently available. 

Agreed, the SLW product is the ultimate one but is simply not widely enough available to directly compete. There are a few Diesel models now where Heljan and Bachmann compete directly.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Agreed, the SLW product is the ultimate one but is simply not widely enough available to directly compete. There are a few Diesel models now where Heljan and Bachmann compete directly.

Diesel models are quite competitive all round now… of the “mainline” BR diesels from late 1970-90’s, and made by manufacturers post 1990s, only the 20*/26/27/33/58 havent been duplicated, but all of them were also made in the 80/90’s

too.

of the rest the 20*/24/25/31/37/40/44/45/46/47/50/52/55/56/57/60 have been redone or being redone within the last decade.
* the 20 has been retooled by Bachmann.

My guess is someone will peel off the 33 at some point, though Heljans got that nicely covered so maybe a while… Heljan might want to consider a re run of 58’s to keep things “fresh”.. mines a fertis one !

so with that theres not much left to do in diesels !… Though if AC is your thing… theres not been a new 81 in 6 decades, and the 82/3/4 is an open door…. If an 80 can sell surely an 81 can.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1