Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Please help me shortlist a DCC system

ModellingMatt

I'm returning to modelling after a few years' break. I would like to control my shunting layout with DCC.

Here are the requirements that I have:

- Layout size will be 14 inches by 8 feet for shunting

- Max four locos running on the layout at any one time

- Need to be able to run more than one loco simultaneously from one cab/throttle

- Would like the option to run all my accessories through the controller

- Locomotives will use sound

- Hand held throttle

- Would prefer a knob or a regulator type lever to control speed

- Would like to be able to programme inertia

- One cab/throttle initially, but would like option to add a second later

Are there any other issues that I shoud be considering at this point?

What systems do people feel that I should go and look at?

I'm based near Bath, so please also feel free to recommend any DCC retailers in the area - or shamelessly promote your own ;)

Thank you for all help received!

I have had my NCE for a long time and it certainly pleases me.  Easy to use and good ergonomics.  You probably should try to have a go with other systems.  These things are all much of a muchness.  It comes down I think to how comfortable it is for you.

John

If you like to be free of wires then I suggest you look at the Z21 or z21- they are both controlled using a mobile app either on the phone or on a tablet. It is intuitive and quite powerful.

The difference is that the z21 has fewer interfaces than its big brother

True flexibility can be gained by using a DR5000 from Digikeijs and I believe from recent posts that the Roco z21 and Z21 app works with it and you get every interface and connection you could ever want.

• RMweb Gold

If you like to be free of wires then I suggest you look at the Z21 or z21- they are both controlled using a mobile app either on the phone or on a tablet. It is intuitive and quite powerful.

The difference is that the z21 has fewer interfaces than its big brother

True flexibility can be gained by using a DR5000 from Digikeijs and I believe from recent posts that the Roco z21 and Z21 app works with it and you get every interface and connection you could ever want.

No doubt true but the OP says he wants a knob or handle. Some of us simply can't imagine using a touch-sensitive device to control trains. 

No doubt true but the OP says he wants a knob or handle. Some of us simply can't imagine using a touch-sensitive device to control trains.

You can get a knob or a handle by simply using the Multimaus - easy and effective giving you the benefits of multiple interfaces, not locking you in, plus intuitive control.

You should try touch control - you will find that you won’t want to go back to the uninspired DCC handsets offered by other people that look and feel like they were designed in the 1980s - which I think they were.

• Like 1

And from me. I use a Powercab for controlling an 8ft terminus station, that's the scenic bit, the fiddle yard is another 5ft sector plate. I find it ideal for slowly shuttling EMUs around, All very controllable and runs sound locos a treat. I don't use it for points control as I find using tortoise motors operated by DTDT switches is quicker and easier. Having said that it is quite able to do that, I just choose not to.

At the end of the day it is what YOU find comfortable and suits you that is important.

For it's price the Powercab does an awful lot for the money. Yes I do see that people say that it is out-of-date and doesn't have the very latest facilities, but do YOU really need them? I certainly don't!

Price may be an issue for you and you will find many more expensive ones around but if possible try them out and decide whch is for you. For me it is ideal and expandable if I need it.

John

• RMweb Gold

You can get a knob or a handle by simply using the Multimaus - easy and effective giving you the benefits of multiple interfaces, not locking you in, plus intuitive control.

You should try touch control - you will find that you won’t want to go back to the uninspired DCC handsets offered by other people that look and feel like they were designed in the 1980s - which I think they were.

P-lease! I have an iPhone and an iPad Air, as well as the iMac I am working on right now, so have some experience with touch sensitive devices. But the Digitrax system I have used for 20 years provides throttles with knobs, and that's just fine, thanks.

• Like 1

I understand a respect your need to defend your investment in NCE however the OP doesn’t have a system at all and is looking for alternatives.

He says that he would prefer a knob or a over to control the speed, not that it must - that was your interpretation, and this can be achieved using the Z21, z21 or DR5000 easily, The ability to control accessories by overlaying a picture of the track work is so much easier than trying to remember that the point you want to switch is 304, or 6 or whatever number you choose.

There are alternatives to NCE, and that is what the OP wanted - but that doesn’t mean you have to change, after all you have made the investment and know the why and wherefores of what you chose at some point, when perhaps there wantbthe range of choices that now exist.

Why is it as soon as somebody says 'I want X way of doing something' we always get the 'oh you should try Y way of doing it, get with the times Grandad' replies, perhaps people prefer to use X type simply because they prefer it rather than any luddite issues!

Plenty of throttles can be attached to a DR5000 - pretty much anything Loconet, Xpressnet or RBus so no need to only use 'glass' throttles.

The multiMaus suggested elsewhere works great with the DR5000, or a Digitrax Zephyr if you like it's handle, I've also used Profi-bos and Fred handsets - in each case switching them to throttle only mode.

Cheers

Dave   

Edited by DaveArkley

• RMweb Gold

As you've said that the locos will have sound then you need to be looking at something that has easy sound functions.

I have the Powercab and many other DCC controllers and sound function operation is cumbersome on most and plain hateful on others!

So I would say the Piko Smart control made by ESU or ESU's own offering which is called CabControl(not available here as yet, I think?)

Wireless handheld cab with nice big touch screen, functions can all be set to momentary or latching with symbols related to each function.

Large round motorised speed control knob.

Having used lots, not really found a handheld cab that is great for function control, Powercab not bad but still not great IMHO compared to these two.

What would be interesting to know, is the difference between the Piko Smart control made by ESU and ESU's own offering!!!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Best advice is go to an exhibition with DCC layouts, talk to the operators if possible ( they don't usually bite) about the systems they are using.

Then if possible visit a retailer that sells numerous DCC systems ( they usually let you have a play) .

Then draw up a list of possible systems that your comfortable/happy with and see which gets the best referrals.

Just remember what's best for one person may not be best for you or others it comes down to personal choice.

Good luck.

Provided you can get on with using throttle buttons, instead of a knob   - a Lenz Set 100 V3.6 all day long...................loads of features -  F0-F28 F Keys  - perfect for sound locos, and a Roco Mutimaus handset (with a throttle knob) could be used/added with it if necessary....................

Although it took a long time to come out, the BLACK Wifi-Lan Multimaus - which also caused the standard price of the cabled handset to drop to match! - can be used with either Z21 or z21  (or therefore the Digikeijs, apparently - although a wifi router may be an additional extra. This would give the total freedom of wireless connectivity, with its own batteries and a good graphic display, as well as access to all 28/29 functions AND easy toggling to/from accessory control.

IT DOES NOT 'directly' give the simultaneous 2-loco control which, for example the Massoth Navigator (and therefore POSSIBLY its Piko 'derivative' - but swapping from one loco to another is extremely easy - and there are 2 ways of calling up locos - either by Number  (1-9999) OR by NAME (now 10 characters - scrolling on  a 5-character display) of upto 64 locos entered into its 'Library' (long and/or short addresses despite the manual only mentioning CV1) -- loco selection is then by simply 'scolling' on the <> buttons to the desired loco.

It can be used WITH or WITHOUT a Phone or tablet - as you prefer - and equally with or without the cabled Multimaus.

Personally I prefer not to have my Phone go flat by such constant use as running a shunting puzzle all day.  We use the Multimaus - both cabled and wireless versions  ...as I always recommend the idea of 1 cabled handset, and the remainder free to walk anywhere  - including operating from behind the viewers in front ot the layout.  The Multimaus is easily operated by an adult single-handed (2 for small hands) - therefore the occasional need for 2 locos at once by one operator can be achieved with one in each hand ... with identical or near identical touchy-feely buttons on both handsets  (the advantage of real buttons is that you do not have to take your eye off the loco to see where you should be touching the tablet or phone glass screen )

There is 1 downside of the centre-off knob, which is avoided by buying the ZIMO handset which uses a slider for the speed control - it is possible to go past the 'off' click into the other direction - especially if no loco lights are there to give a clue -  BUT the graphic display CLEARLY shows the II symbol when in the centre (with < or > to show the currently selected direction ie <II   or II> )

I use a NCE Powercab and it's fantastic for the price and I've found it easy to us.  I've also had a go with a Roco Multimaus recently and was really impressed how easy that was and if I'd tried that first would probably have gone for it.  I'd definitely say ask people questions and try to have a play with different systems before you buy one.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

Thank you all for some very useful replies and suggestions. On looking at all the options you have suggested the Powercab is very appealing. The main reason is that it seems like one of the easiest to start off with. Is that assumption correct? I also like the fact it's not a massive investment so I can always change systems after a couple of years if I need more flexibility or feel I'm missing any features.

Can I plug the additional cab straight into the Powercab, or do I then need to upgrade?

When I was last active, a lot of people had Lenz. Is there any reason why they barely feature in the replies?

I'll be sure to test at leat a couple of systems before buying.