TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Frett not. I have recently seen a Bachmann Coal Tank converted to P4 by careful grinding out of the inside faces of the splashers.

If working to a scale gauge and wheel profile forces one to a non-scale width over splashers, one is on the horns of the same dilemma upon which 00 modellers are impaled.

Grinding out splashers on OO models to convert to EM/P4 is very much the norm. The same applies to the LNWR Improved Precedent 2-4-0, which was the subject of a thread on the S4 Forum.

OO wheel dimensions permit "thick" splashers such as are probably required for die cast loco bodies, while permitting scale outside width across footplate for the splashers. The compromises are usually in then having over width splashers to hide the narrow gauge of the wheels, as well as wide splashers within the cab to accomodate the narrower B2B. The latter is also am issue for loco kit designers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A real thing of beauty! Can’t wait for mine to arrive.

TMC - a plea. If it’s not too late any chance you can commission some etched number plates for the NER version(s) - even if they’re left for the user to fit?  IMHO the only thing that lets the model down in Andy’s video is that the printed-on number plates look so flat and - dare I say it - toylike…

Richard T

• 1 month later...

Not an answer to the stay alive question but I did manage to get some video of the G5 running on the Hornby Magazine layout at GETS over the weekend.

Skip to 21:27 to see a couple of shots of it in action. Looked like a really nice smooth runner to me...

(The slight squeaking you may just be able to hear is coming from one of the coaches not the loco - I heard the same coach doing it earlier in the day when it was running with another loco)

• Like 3

Thanks Jenny, I watched that a couple of days ago. Very nice to see the arrangement for the rear bogie being so well designed. 

As an aside I think Bachmann need to look at a better design of PCB for the Next 18 socket as this seems overly large compared to the decoder. Also this takes a large amount of room in the bunker which could have allowed a larger speaker. This also matches the V2's which could do with a base reflex in the tender, the space is there but not utilized. I can see this is really a "modellers" view rather than a "manufacturers" view  looking for the best fit speaker rather than "manufacturers stock speaker". 

I look forward to one of these turning up mid next year! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must admit, I've been tempted to get one of these, ever since I heard about them. LNER liveried, as that's my jam.

I am however undecided as to which I'd prefer to get my grubby mitts on- #1752 or #2082.

Just looking at the models and thinking about renumbering and how easy it will be to remove the coal hopper?

Ideally after a model with Westinghouse pump and cage bunker but this isn't a combination which is offered ☹️

I'm going out on a limb here, and guessing that you model BR?

Edited by NZRedBaron

On 01/03/2023 at 10:14, SteamingWales said:

Hmm

Just looking at the models and thinking about renumbering and how easy it will be to remove the coal hopper?

Ideally after a model with Westinghouse pump and cage bunker but this isn't a combination which is offered ☹️

I have the same "problem" (although I'm sure it's not difficult to get round one way or the other).  I'm also guessing that you want a BR early crest version.  The options are to buy one without hopper or Westinghouse and add a Westinghouse somehow or other (I'm aware a few different ones may be available, but then there's all the fiddly connections etc to sort out), OR, buy one with Westinghouse and hopper and take the hopper off.  I spoke to the TMC guys at Doncaster the other week.  He didn't want to take one out of the display case, but was "pretty sure" that the hopper is a separate moulding (makes sense) and therefore "should" come off fairly easily.  So, I'm going to get the Westinghouse/hopper version and see what happens.

You may also want to note that the two options mentioned have different buffers (one LNER, one NER) so you may want/need to take that into account as well.

Cheers.

Tim

44 minutes ago, tmc said:

We have news! Five of the eight models offered are assembled and should be shipped by the end of the month. Before that happens production samples will reach us and photographs of those will then be posted. The first batch of models should therefore arrive with us between the middle and end of May. The five models arriving first are 35-250Z/ZSF, 35-251Z/ZSF, 35-252Z/ZSF, 35-254Z/ZSF & 35-255Z/ZSF.

The three remaining variants are currently being assembled so are likely to be 4-6 weeks after those mentioned above.

Further updates as and when we have them.

Brilliant news, thank you.