TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thetalkinlens said:

I was thinking more what real locomotive the sound file is from, given there are no G5's (yet).

My plan is to wait until there is a real locomotive to record.

We have more news! Albeit a little bit later than planned the first container is on its way, but its contents are different to what we originally thought [fun this isn't it!]. The second container is likely to be a few weeks behind so our best guestimate of when we are likely to be sending these models out is now as follows:-

35-250Z Late June; 35-250ZSF Mid July; 35-251Z Late June; 35-251ZSF Mid July; 35-252Z Late June; 35-252ZSF Late June; 35-253Z Late June; 

35-253ZSF Late June; 35-254Z Late June; 35-254ZSF Mid July; 35-255Z Late June; 35-255ZSF Late June; 35-256Z Mid July; 35-256ZSF Last June;

35-259Z Mid July; 35-259ZSF Mid July.

Invoices and requests for payment on pre-orders will not be sent until we know the goods are in Bachmann's warehouse for onward despatch to ourselves. 

All versions are still available, though from pre-orders it looks like some are somewhat more popular than others.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

I was thinking more what real locomotive the sound file is from, given there are no G5's (yet).

J21 is probably a possible contender for most of that era of LNER inside cylinder locos, the J21, N8, N9, N10, JG5, are all fairly closely related. Granted the J21 hasn't ran in 40 plus years.....

J27 I suppose could be used, as it is related, although enlarged, and with a different chimney. 

Thanks

Paul. 

• RMweb Premium

With regards to G5 sound, original G5 sound recordings exist in the form of Transacord.  However I do not know who has or owns the copyright.

For many years I have used the YouChoos Class J15 sound files for my four O gauge locos plus a D20. 

YouChoos have developed a new specific G5 sound file, these will be my source for the three TMC G5’s which I have on preorder.

I have no connection with YouChoos other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great to see these are on their way to TMC

I am looking forward to my LNER lined and with sound. I do wonder if "we" could convince Rapido to do the auto carriages that went with them in either clerestory or standard roofed versions. I have a once complete with another under construction for my G6... but they are in P4.... 

I will suggest the the wish pole team to add both versions for the next pole! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, DougN said:

I am looking forward to my LNER lined and with sound. I do wonder if "we" could convince Rapido to do the auto carriages that went with them in either clerestory or standard roofed versions.

Not just the auto trailers, any NER carriages would be nice! As you say, either the iconic clerestory vehicles (which I suspect would be the sensible option as more people would be inclined to buy the prettier options) or the arc roofed coaches.

I'd be surprised if Bachmann hadn't been looking into them while developing the G5, on the quiet as they do now. Once the G5s start arriving, the following quarterly announcement would be the ideal place for them to materialise. I'd be fine with any of the RTR companies producing them to be fair, as they all seem to do pretty well with high end coaching stock.

I've got a D&S third clerestory to finish, and a few Kirk Gresley non-corridor carriages to make a reasonable rake for my forthcoming LNER liveried loco, but could definitely be tempted by an NER one if some of the ornate pre grouping stock were to appear, as I don't think that my skills are up to that!

Cheers

J

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, DougN said:

Great to see these are on their way to TMC

I am looking forward to my LNER lined and with sound. I do wonder if "we" could convince Rapido to do the auto carriages that went with them in either clerestory or standard roofed versions. I have a once complete with another under construction for my G6... but they are in P4.... 

I will suggest the the wish pole team to add both versions for the next pole! 

Happy to be corrected, but as far as I'm aware, the clerestory autocoach (diagram 116) were unique to BTP (G6) tanks. The G5's were converted to push pull in the mid to late 1930's when the Sentinel Railcars were withdrawn and ex NER elliptical coaches were converted and these were unique to the G5's.

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Not just the auto trailers, any NER carriages would be nice! As you say, either the iconic clerestory vehicles (which I suspect would be the sensible option as more people would be inclined to buy the prettier options) or the arc roofed coaches.

The later elliptical roofed types would suit more layouts as they lasted pretty much as long as the G5s themselves.  They are very easy to find in photos of local services in the 1950s, well after the clerestories had dwindled away.  Some were later converted to auto trailers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Diagram 116’s we’re still running around the Whitby area in the 50’s.  P/P equipment removed.  Not sure if they were designated BC or BT by then.  Need to dig out the photographs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that by the time my loco arrives... the magazine will follow here in Australia! 

Back to what D5158 was saying that was my understanding as well. They would have been looking very scruffy and run down by the 1950's. I have been onto the Poll team (Ok one of the members is a good friend of mine) who said the list will include Diags 146,162, 213 of 1938. I can see that Dia 162 (Arc Roofed version) would be more appropriate for the G5. I am still looking forward to having one running around on my layout in time. 

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2023 at 13:13, Eddie the dog said:

There’s a review of the model in the July issue of Model Rail !

Also reviewed in July Railway Modeller 

The wait is nearly over, a very small consignment was sent by air last month and all is good, in fact all is very good in our opinion!

As advised a few weeks back they are arriving on two containers so we anticipate that the first batch will land in our warehouse in last week of June and then we will commence despatch of pre-orders. As soon as we know they are on the way to us we will start requesting payment. As they are arriving in two batches, and the second isn’t expected to be with us until mid July, if a pre-order includes models in both batches a payment request will be made for each batch but a customer can opt to delay until the order is complete. Please note that pre-orders made through the website will be sent post free in line with our current offer of website orders over £100 being post free, so if you have for example two locos on order, one from each batch, both will be sent post free.

The models arriving in the first batch are:-

35-250Z  NER Lined Green no 2093 with Westinghouse Pump, Coal Rail Bunker and Ramsbottom Safety Valve [Smokebox door handles]

35-251Z  NER Lined Green no 1759 with Westinghouse Pump, Coal Rail Bunker and Ramsbottom Safety Valve [Smokebox door wheel]

35-252Z/ZSF LNER Lined Black no 1752 with Westinghouse Pump, Cage Bunker and Ramsbottom Safety Valve [Smokebox door wheel]

35-253Z/ZSF LNER Lined Black no 2082 with Push/Pull apparatus, Cage Bunker and Ross Pop Safety Valve [Smokebox door handles]

35-254Z   BR Early Crest Lined Black no 67263 with Cage Bunker and Ross Pop Safety Valve

35-255Z/ZSF BR Early Crest Lined Black no 67342 with Westinghouse Pump, Hopper Bunker and Ross Pop Safety Valve

35-256ZSF BR Early Crest Lined Black no 67282 with Push/Pull apparatus, Hopper Bunker and Ross Pop Safety Valve

The remaining models 35-250ZSF, 35-251ZSF, 35-254ZSF and 35-256Z are expected mid July along with:-

35-259Z/ZSF BR Late Crest no 67261 with Push/Pull apparatus, Cage Bunker and Ross Pop Safety Valve   

TMC will donate £15 for each sale of 35-251Z to  G5 Locomotive Company to assist with the new build.

Our usual weathering and other customisation services will be available, full details on our website.

A few photographs of the production models will follow shortly.    

All the best, TMC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful indeed.

As an FYI, YouChoos are listing their G5 sound file.

I like it.

Must finish my D&S Push Pull Guisborough set now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2023 at 16:29, tmc said:

35-250Z

35-250ZRAW3.jpg.f6276825a6c411a706fdc03624444302.jpg

35-251Z

35-251ZRAW3.jpg.cf231c9ecf45c558333da8d1cf89832a.jpg

35-252Z

35-252ZRAW3.jpg.b00ec34e4daedd59fb4034a7460b7881.jpg

35-253Z

35-253ZRAW3.jpg.b75ce98e3beb988eb142703788c03515.jpg

35-254Z

35-254ZRAW3.jpg.5918d17393d30b74e4073b53fd96cd7d.jpg

35-255Z

35-255ZRAW3.jpg.e6edae96f67c4143001aee31648aefd7.jpg

35-256Z

35-256ZRAW3.jpg.0e502c8f280e124b1f989613027e8391.jpg

If you have ordered one DCC fitted is sound a further extra? Happy either way as I’m not bothered about sound.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, john new said:

If you have ordered one DCC fitted is sound a further extra? Happy either way as I’m not bothered about sound.

They only seem to be DCC ready or sound fitted on the website, there’s no DCC basic chip option. Basically the sound version is an extra £100 which is a good price. 
Ah in the menu you can pick a standard non sound chip for £45 or upgrade to other sound files for £180. 
so in theory there is,

Dcc ready £180-190

Dcc standard chip £ £225-£235

Dcc sound factory fit £280-289

Dcc sound with custom choice £360-370?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2023 at 17:34, john new said:

I have also had a separate email from TMC regarding my three pre-orders (2 * G5 and 1 * Hornby) as a result of the above post. Excellent support service from them.

• Like 2