RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rotorstorm said:

On the subject of the tender top making the model look more like it belongs in the Bachmann Thomas’s range, that’s not really fair since the Thomas range actually managed to get the top right!

DAA14860-FE94-44FD-8BB1-FB36CF3000A3.jpeg.ec51ea934a57da2d0f2c63b2ad854b9a.jpegE5742B3B-F10C-4861-BC12-664388A988F1.jpeg.18055b1e6933e925a67d99b50e071b3a.jpeg71119AA7-1E46-47F7-A710-6E39FB1891B0.jpeg.f0981adcb8f0db8ae042ce95576258c4.jpeg

(I have no intention of altering the Caly to be a “Thomas” model BTW, had the toy and thought it may be worth showing the comparison since it was the only previous ready to run version I’ve come across)

Thats a bit cruel . I can see what you are saying though . The thing is from most angles it really isn’t noticeable , certainly not as she’s running round my layout . But the beautiful livery is very visible and if it’s this or no Caley 812 at all I think it’s acceptable , even at this price . 

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2021 at 15:39, Legend said:

I was a bit nervous about that as it is the first coreless motored model I have .

On 21/11/2021 at 19:43, Legend said:

Me too, and indeed after almost four years of eager anticipation it was beginning to look like I might need to cancel.     However I discovered from the thread about which models have coreless models that I already owned a coreless motor in my Bachmann Wickham trolley which runs OK on my existing HM2000 set up, and I received some re-assurance from that thread, so hopefully my 57566 will be arriving soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Me too, and indeed after almost four years of eager anticipation it was beginning to look like I might need to cancel.     However I discovered from the thread about which models have coreless models that I already owned a coreless motor in my Bachmann Wickham trolley which runs OK on my existing HM2000 set up, and I received some re-assurance from that thread, so hopefully my 57566 will be arriving soon.

I took out my Relco electronic track cleaners  to facilitate it , so I’m hoping that won’t be too detrimental to running . All my other locos were fine with it and I’d prefer we didn’t have coreless but there you go, such is progress !

Edited by Legend
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Thats a bit cruel . I can see what you are saying though . The thing is from most angles it really isn’t noticeable , certainly not as she’s running round my layout . But the beautiful livery is very visible and if it’s this or no Caley 812 at all I think it’s acceptable , even at this price . 

Oh, for sure, I am happy with the model other than that one nitpick, it’s just a shame to fall on that hurdle when everything else about the loco is stunning. Looking forward to running her

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

In reg the use of track cleaners with coreless motors, I'd imagine you not use both at the same time.    Probably still ok to use the track cleaner when the loco is off the line.

aye but you just know I’d leave them on by mistake !  Easier to remove them I think . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2021 at 08:44, craigowen1976 said:

Yorkshire Santa flew by last night… Delighted to have received this absolute beauty! A few snaps on the rolling road, in the darker Prussian blue.

A quick advice query though: when I started running in, the motion seems quite ‘jittery’ and noisy, in a way I’ve not noticed with new locos previously (I was hoping to attach a video clip to illustrate, but can’t work out how to do so on here?) - almost as if somethings not ‘tight’ in the chassis assembly. I don’t think this is a general issue with the production, likely just a 1 off.

An hour of running in both ways and light oil on the rods doesn’t seem to have settled it… before I cross the bridge of sending back for checking etc, does anyone recognise this or could suggest a simple cause / potential fix? I’m happy to perch on the phone to Rails and run the gauntlet of Christmas postage if needs be… but I’d much rather get it running on the garden railway if it’s just a a case of turning a screw or two! Thanks in advance for any tips ;-)

6D5254A9-7930-4EC1-9A68-F8A7436E0DC3.jpeg

45F4B5D4-535F-41D9-B1B7-4295CA3B46CB.jpeg

F65D5435-10F6-431D-9954-0F811909AF39.jpeg

What power source are you running it in with? I use a Hornby train set controller for DC running in before DCC chipping - the latest J72 ran like a dog on this but is perfect on DCC. I think it is the latest motors that are the ‘issue’. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having already asked about suitable rolling stock, I was wondering whether the Hatton’s Genesis in LNWR livery would be a good alternative. If so, could someone recommend a suitable formation?

Or shall I wait and see if they do the proposed CR livery as part of the 3rd batch they are thinking of doing

Edited by CCarmichael
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CCarmichael said:

Having already asked about suitable rolling stock, I was wondering whether the Hatton’s Genesis in LNWR livery would be a good alternative. If so, could someone recommend a suitable formation?

Or shall I wait and see if they do the proposed CR livery as part of the 3rd batch they are thinking of doing

The recent Hornby 4 and 6 wheel coaches LNWR livery looks more Caledonian than LNWR, with a wee bit of work they can look OK.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/12/2021 at 19:38, Legend said:

I took out my Relco electronic track cleaners  to facilitate it , so I’m hoping that won’t be too detrimental to running . All my other locos were fine with it and I’d prefer we didn’t have coreless but there you go, such is progress !

Thanks for flagging this a few posts back. I've taken my electric cleaner out for now but it's on my to do list to wire it back it but with an on/off switch so I can turn off for coreless locos

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My two sound fitted 828's (as built and preserved) have just arrived. They are my new favorite locos. Absolutely superb finish. The mechanism is wonderfully smooth and like the shunting mode option a lot. The firebox flicker is favourite of mine and my fiancee also loves this (along with it being blue as it's her favourite colour!)

Couple of visual gripes are tender thickness and minor seem line along the top of the boiler. There's also the cable management block on the drawbar. That being said both of which cannot be seen easily when in motion.

My main issue is the ridiculous tender connection. The ability for the tender to easily become detached as not screwed in is rather annoying.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My black late crest 57566 arrived today.  She's a real beauty.   Runs very smoothly, though I am only running her cautiously at fairly low power settings.    Excellent service from Rails of Sheffield, who phoned me on Monday afternoon to clarify my intentions before taking the balance of payment,  as despite pre-ordering in February 2018 I had recently expressed reservations re compatibility of coreless motor with HM2000 controllers, and the loco is here already, less than 48 hours later.  Seen here buffer to buffer for comparison with little brother Drummond 0-6-0, from a DJH kit which I bought ready assembled around thirty years ago.   The firebox glow is a nice touch though it highlights the absence of a loco crew - I'll need to have a think about how to fit a driver and fireman.

IMG_7190.JPG

Edited by cessna152towser
edited to add comment on firebox glow
  • Like 5

Anyone weathered there (preserved) 828 yet? Pictures soon but I toned down all the black areas and have added real coal on top of the cast weight coal, inside motion also got an oily look. The cabs a bit tight for a crew and sadly the driver lost a bit of leg to fit closer to the reverser, fireman is HO, but he's only a lad!  One minor disappointment, the gearing. I was hoping to run a doubleheader with  Maude(sound removed) but 828 is quite high geared, the tender side panel top can be disguised with a well filled tender. The dark blue comes up really well after a dose of Tcut and the lettering more robustly printed than a couple Bachmann diesels I've renumbered recently, beware that the whistle is quite delicate. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Quite commonly boiler cladding sheets were fixed at the top of a boiler so a seem line there may be correct.

Fair enough. That'll do for me :P Still my new faviourite!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just was running in my preserved example and there was a noise from somewhere inside the model. Had a look at the gear train from taking the baseplate off and... ...zero lubrication. Personally more than happy for models to be not factory lubricated as there's often way too much and in places it doesn't need to be. Now running like a swiss watch of course! Hope this helps others.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, E100 said:

Just was running in my preserved example and there was a noise from somewhere inside the model. Had a look at the gear train from taking the baseplate off and... ...zero lubrication. Personally more than happy for models to be not factory lubricated as there's often way too much and in places it doesn't need to be. Now running like a swiss watch of course! Hope this helps others.

Thanks for that . Mine has developed a squeak and I did think I’d get the oil out.  Then I thought , no it’s new it shouldn’t need it .  It’s running well but I might just ease off the base plate and give it some oil . 

Well I'm glad I stayed my hand from the cancel button now my first pair are here. Up close in the flesh the tender and cab issues are still visible but the cab at least isn't anywhere near as jarring as was perceived.

Yes, there's still the issue of the tender coping but I feel that a bit of re-profiling here is well within my skillset. 

In any case, it is counterbalanced by the finesse of the 1899 livery and the tender patch plating on the late version; the latter was a notable feature of Caley locos surviving into the 1950s. Probably a few NB locos too.

Davy.

• Like 7