RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

Further to my post on page 33, I have now finished the front end of my Caley 812. By cutting a tiny bit off the peg on the bit of the steam heat part that fits behind the buffer beam, I managed to effect a satisfactory cross over of the steam and vac pipes that allows approx line-up with the pipes running along the sides of the loco - not perfect, but as hardly seen, acceptable. Brass wire coupling fashioned and fitted then the dummy screw-link coupling also fitted, so all have been accommodated.

IMG_0730.jpeg.edb02fca1d8fa762989a5c9176774a55.jpegIMG_0729.jpeg.8411b884a576083596721869f7061a53.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, McRuss said:

A few days ago I made a testrun with my Caledonian Railway Jumbo on my american H0 layout.

Markus

Good video, it is a lovely model.

Pedant Alert. The Caley Jumbo is a 294 and 711 Class. The 812 Class is not (although occasionally called a ‘Large Jumbo’, this was not used in Caley days). The 294/711 Class were the most numerous (244 engines) class of locomotive in Scotland and were sometimes called a ‘black Jumbo’ or ‘blue Jumbo’ if Westinghouse fitted.

Brian.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, ndeluck said:

hey all. are there any sound decoders readily available for the 812? got the analog version and was considering upgrading it to DCC sound on my own

Try this.

https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/steam-dcc-sound-decoders/products/loksound-5-decoder-for-812-class-locomotive?variant=37024746111142

2 minutes ago, mow said:

The Caledonian Railway Class 812 No. 828 will be at The Spa Valley Railway for most of 2022, for those of you who want to view the real thing.

https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/product.php/297/scottish-steam-up

Don't really like the real thing - I find the tender rails and cab handrails too thin, they don't look realistic.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mow said:

The Caledonian Railway Class 812 No. 828 will be at The Spa Valley Railway for most of 2022, for those of you who want to view the real thing.

Sorry to take this a little off topic but any idea how they'll get down there? I.e. any chance of seeing them run down on rails?

On 18/02/2022 at 19:32, mow said:

Oh perfect thanks for sharing that. My birthday that weekend and have a friend in Tonbridge so could work out nicely...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Where  can one get the headcode indicators as used on CR engines and is there a list of which codes for which lines?  Many thanks

The full list of codes was published in the Ian Allan book ‘The Caledonian Railway’ by O.S.Nock. Which route are you interested in? They were only carried by Southern Division trains, they carried on in use unofficially long after the grouping and were even seen on some early DMU workings!

2DC540FF-A10A-4486-900B-39615DACE35A.jpeg

On 24/02/2022 at 14:48, GeoffBird said:

Where  can one get the headcode indicators as used on CR engines and is there a list of which codes for which lines?  Many thanks

I picked up a 2nd hand etch of Caley Loco Semaphores on eBay a couple of years ago. They are from Decent Models, which I think is no longer operational. I have attached a copy of the indicators positions with the routes, which came with the etch. Hope this helps.

The Caledonian Association or Jim from Caley Coaches may be able to help with what happened to the Decent Models range.381031311_CaleySemaphoreIndicators.jpeg.221e756a26a547d94d1c5a34536f2eda.jpeg 

Edited by andytrains

On 26/02/2022 at 17:25, andytrains said:

Further to my last post try Alba Models, http://www.albarailwaymodels.co.uk/index.html

They do 7mm and 4mm models as etched kits and took on some of the Decent range.

Apparently Alba Railway Models are currently in limbo moving to a new workshop, much delayed by Brexit and the Pandemic. The Decent Models tooling is all currently boxed up along with all the other model tooling.

Brian.

• Thanks 2

On 24/02/2022 at 06:48, GeoffBird said:

On 26/02/2022 at 08:15, andytrains said:

I have attached a copy of the indicators positions with the routes, which came with the etch. Hope this helps.

381031311_CaleySemaphoreIndicators.jpeg.221e756a26a547d94d1c5a34536f2eda.jpeg 

The use of these codes expanded beyond CR lines under the LMS and BR. There is a photo of 57566 itself carrying the code shown above as ‘to and from Airdrie’ on the left-hand lamp bracket on a St. Enoch to Greenock Princes Pier train - this indication appears to have been standard for this route. And there are pictures of LMS Princess Royals having arrived at Euston from Glasgow, and carrying the ‘bow tie’ on the top lamp bracket.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

Newly running in and performing well as finished in 1960 condition.

Well done Rails of Sheffield.

1023167799_81257565(2).JPG.7a09957d1844c63718db6e25bd74e011.JPG

1267275535_81257565(6).JPG.974108bc10e130d82135549ea746e40f.JPG

Looks like you have changed the dome. If so was the old rounder one easy to get off?

I am planning to use a Caley Coaches one.

This picture shows 57565 still with its Westinghouse gear in 1952 at Dalry Road Shed.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/774337729653378192/

• RMweb Premium

The dome was changed, as you write, and it is a Caley Coaches one which was in my spares box for some time. It was easy to remove. I put a small piece of cloth round it and then used small pliers to pull it out, very carefully, as you then have a spare dome!

I saw the loco dozens of times on my visits to Dalry Road Shed and also working on the line to Leith . I model the late 50s to 1961 and in the Edinburgh Railways book by local writer A. J. Mullay there is a photo of it on a local passenger working with this type of dome on the bridge over Dalry Road heading for the Caley Station in 1960.

Eric

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a sneak peek of my Caley 812. I need to finish the weathering off. 

Caley tastic!

Here's a snap of the tender with modified flairs.

Caley tastic!

I'll write a blog entry shortly discussing my modifications. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2