RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, turbos said:

Get rid of feedback controllers and HF track cleaners, 20th century control equipment is not suitable or worth the risk around 21st century model locos.

Brian.

Brian,

What would you recommend?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LMS 17566 arrived this morning and on the whole very pleased - although I reckon that the Hornby J36 is superior

The intention is to backdate it to CR black, but that can wait. A far more urgent issue is going to be securing that very insecure tender connection - did anyone ever come up with a solution, beyond Blu-tac ?

Hi everyone,

For those of us who purchased the non-sound versions, there are a few third-party DDC sound suppliers who provide decoders for the 812 but does anyone have any recommendations as to who to go with? I'm struggling to find any YouTube footage of sound-fitted version other than the out-of-the-box ones. I'm having a hard time loving this engine, probably because of the price vs quality ratio when compared to the vastly superior J36 which I obtained new for... £89, and I'm hoping the addition of sound will encourage me to use it a bit more (been sitting in its box since I received it other than a quick test run).

Cheers,

Alan

No suggestions I'm afraid on sound - and increasing deafness doesn't help, but...

With time to settle in, this model is definitely growing on me. I think I'd agree that the J36 may be superior - I have three of them - but I'm not sure as to the cost difference. Yes it was certainly cheaper when first released but as discussed on another thread, cost when you can find one is now £150-£185 so broadly comparable. 

Then, I didn't buy this one because it was pretty but because I wanted a Caledonian locomotive to haul my Caledonian stock. I was to late to get a blue one but I'm not bothered because I settled for an LMS one and am currently turning it out in Caledonian goods black - the LMS lettering and numbers were the easiest to remove I've ever encountered

In short its what I wanted and I'm happy

Edited by Caledonian
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having spent nearly a month running the 812 and Hornby's J36s together on the same layout at the same time I have to report that the 812 appears to be quieter and more powerful than the Hornby one

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 18:07, Caledonian said:

Having spent nearly a month running the 812 and Hornby's J36s together on the same layout at the same time I have to report that the 812 appears to be quieter and more powerful than the Hornby one

Surely the all wheel pick up on the 812 is a massive advantage over the J36? Certainly that along with superior sound quality and firebox glow led me to choose the 812 when the J36 would have actually been more prototypical, due to many points on my layout all wheel pick up was a massive advantage. I'm very happy with my 812 :)

Edited by Iskra

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Iskra said:

Surely the all wheel pick up on the 812 is a massive advantage over the J36? Certainly that along with superior sound quality and firebox glow led me to choose the 812 when the J36 would have actually been more prototypical, due to many points on my layout all wheel pick up was a massive advantage. I'm very happy with my 812 :)

Pretty sure my 2 J36's have all wheel pick-up. That being said I have two of each and very pleased with both.

2 hours ago, Iskra said:

The Hornby J36 has all wheel pick up and twin flywheels and I have found it a far superior product  with regard to control than the 812. Far smoother and slower start with better running than I achieved with the Caley loco .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

The Hornby J36 has all wheel pick up and twin flywheels and I have found it a far superior product  with regard to control than the 812. Far smoother and slower start with better running than I achieved with the Caley loco .

That's interesting, thanks for correcting my assumption. How do you find the quality in sound differs? (If you have sound fitted versions)

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Iskra said:

That's interesting, thanks for correcting my assumption. How do you find the quality in sound differs? (If you have sound fitted versions)

I have both Maude and sound fitted 812. The 812 sound is far superior but I would agree that the mechanism is better. That being said I don't believe the 812 is bad as such just a little highly geared.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iskra said:

I asked my supplier to remove the TTS sound from the J36 which had it. In my view, TTS sound isn’t too bad in diesels but is not acceptable in steamers because the sound does not match what the locomotive is doing. The 812 sound is grand.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2022 at 20:35, No Decorum said:

I asked my supplier to remove the TTS sound from the J36 which had it. In my view, TTS sound isn’t too bad in diesels but is not acceptable in steamers because the sound does not match what the locomotive is doing. The 812 sound is grand.

On 13/10/2022 at 23:09, Ben Alder said:

Sorry, don't do sound - it just doesn't cut it for me.

Agreed, Ive not seen any sound project that convinces me to go DCC.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a TTS fitted J36, and the sound fitted 812. I have to agree that the 812 is much the better, smoother runner. Although I dont know how much of that is simply down to poor control of the TTS chip. I do feel that the ability of the j36 to pick up feels compromised - i really need to fit a stay alive, but there was little enough space for the speaker.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2023 at 19:04, Eddie the dog said:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but can anybody recommend brass etches for the cab side please ?

Been trying to get 247 Developments to make them but no luck yet. Can't help but feel they would sell well, doubly so if Rails sold them!