The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Without substantial alteration, the Airpolby 4f is limited to a single variant , admittedly a large one, of the 4F. Given the new Midland tender and advances in mould technology, it would be possible for Bachmann to model many of the variants of the "standard"!! 4F; left/right hand drive, beaded/non-b splashers, Midland/Fowler tender and so on. I believe it's 35 years since the original Airfix saw light of day, thus, if we all put our money up front and buy the charming 3F, I'm sure his beefed up brother will appear.

By the way Brucie, (the fish), considering a resin 2F belpaire perhaps? (After the O4/7-8 bodies for the Bachmann O4 of course!!!). ;)

Cheers, Peter C.

Yep I'll be having one . Its not directly related to my area but I'll have one because at £56-£62 (discounted) its a very good price . It will also help fill a gap in my motive power being an 0-6-0 (my only other one is a 1978 vintage Airfix 4F). I'm sure its also a charming wee loco and if this one is a success I'm hoping it will encourage Bachmann to go on and produce other 0-6-0s such as a Caley Jumbo, NBR J36 .

So although not on my personal wishlist, a charming loco at a good price , should sell by the bucketload I would think (more than a 4F, as up until very recently Hornby had a passable model, which would have limited sales in my view).

• RMweb Gold

Number 8, ex S&DJR locos for me- that S&D project is looking more likely now,cool.gif will be running my layout in "BR blue" and "S&D" modes I can see.

I think Bachmann definately have an eye on us S&D fans, well done them.

• 1 year later...

Is there an arrrival date for this loco yet ? I will be buying one because it is a plain 0-6-0 locomotive and there were far more 0-6-0's running on British rails than any other type. For the same reason I will be buying the Wainright class C when it comes out.

I do have an Aifix 4F, however mine has a Kemilway chassis. There have been options available since the late 70's to re-chassis the Airfix model, though obviously not RTR.

Snap! I too put a Kemilway chassis under my Airfix 4F.

John

I will be buying one because it is a plain 0-6-0 locomotive and there were far more 0-6-0's running on British rails than any other type. For the same reason I will be buying the Wainright class C when it comes out.

I wonder if there was a location where these two would be seen?

I want one and it will go nicely with my 00 Works 2F when it arrives! Now how about a Kirtley 1F with Johnson boiler to make up the set (I also have a Hornby 4F!) smile.gif

Have you any previous experience with 00 Works models? I have the L&Y saddle tank and I was sorely disappointed at its performance and, to my mind, the chassis design left a lot to be desired. I've started to convert it to EM, reusing the frames. I did pre-order the 2F but since the price went up and 00 Works aren't set up for VAT relief (to Canada) I'm not sure I want to follow through (00 Works haven't bothered to contact me).

Looking forward to the 3F though.

John

I'm interested in the correlation between the 3F, and 4F which is probably the more popular (at least up until now) prototype. A decent loco drive RTR 4F has been a desire of many and I'm interested in how other modellers perceive the Bachmann offering. For those who don't know the chassis wheelbase is common to MR 2F, 3F and 4F.

I'll certainly be having one- and probably more than that in the longer term. Like it's bigger brother the 4F, it's pretty much an essential item for any future layout plans I've got, and one of the Bachmann releases I'm most looking forward to

A state-of-the art 4F would be greeted with equal enthusiasm (especially if it was done in a way that allowed the manufacturer to release both Midland and LMS variants of the breed, as 45568 suggested a couple of posts back)

I'll need to be checking the adverts then !!!!

It had occurred to me that if the Bachmann mechanism fits a belpaire 3F boiler, it must fit the 4F boiler, but probably not the smaller 2F.

Famous last words…..! whilst the full size 3F boiler has the same size firebox and boiler diameter as a 4F, the 4F the boiler was pitched higher to clear piston valve cylinders. It depends on how Bachmann design the 3F model. If the lower part of the 3F boiler is part of the chassis weight (as in their GWR 2251 model) then it won’t be an easy conversion to a 4F.

Hopefully Bachmann are considering a 4F follow up and will design appropriately. I can then retire my faithful but noisy Airfix 4Fs !!!

Ian

Hopefully Bachmann are considering a 4F follow up and will design appropriately. I can then retire my faithful but noisy Airfix 4Fs !!!

I'll bet just about every LMS modeller is hoping for a Bachy 4F follow-up. The Airfix/Hornby 4F is on a par with the Hornby's stone age Class 37.

I'll bet just about every LMS modeller is hoping for a Bachy 4F follow-up. The Airfix/Hornby 4F is on a par with the Hornby's stone age Class 37.

Particularly as, following recent company sales history, the brand new Bachmann 4F would likely be cheaper than the rehashed Limby / new chassis 4F with it's incorrect splashers.

... It depends on how Bachmann design the 3F model. If the lower part of the 3F boiler is part of the chassis weight (as in their GWR 2251 model) then it won’t be an easy conversion to a 4F...

The constructional style has moved on from the earliest of what were then branded 'Blue Riband' releases (to distinguish from the earlier split chassis mechs). I hope that the construction will closely follow the pattern in the G2A and ROD: motor axis horizontal in firebox, accepting some intrusion of the gear train forward of the firebox into the under boiler space if necessary, which leaves the cab clear down to the floor. Ballast weight in the boiler and smoke box, made as a separate piece secured on the underside by a single screw, and thus easily removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these on order and i do hope Bachmann do a 4F ,the Hornby one is so old as a model .

Only 1, early and late crest for me can't have enough 0-6-0 locos always more common than the larger ones.

Did the Somerset and Dorset 3Fs ever make it down to Bournemouth?

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry for late reply to this post, the answer is - close, irregularly used on local pick up goods ( the one with brake van at both ends of the rake) from Templecombe to Poole yard, then replenished at Branksome shed for the return.

I was just looking at Hatton's site where a picture of the forthcoming Hornby 4F can be found. The picture looks like the Airfix body and the LMS version seems to have red lining which I think is probably wrong (there could have been a one off special I suppose like the 3F with white lined splashers). I hope this is a mock up and that the final model has more accuracy than the Airfix offering. Agree wholeheartedly that the Airfix design was stone aged. Hornby's loco drive designs are top notch these days so I would be very surprised if it isn't superb.

However, I'm not fussy, if Bachmann come out with something sooner and better that would be good too.

John

Archived