The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Regarding the 3Fs on the Somerset and Dorset, does anyone know a knowledgeable source for which ones ran on the S&DJR, and which, if any, of the Bachmann ones are best suited to be used on an S&DJR layout? Also, did they ever get to the Southern end of the S&DJR (that is, onto the L&SWR metals beyond Broadstone)?

The list I have cover the period january 1957 'till withdrawl include;-43194,43216,43218,43248,43356,43419,43427,43436,43682,43734, but the rule applies 'refer to pics because of the tender variations'.

They were occasional visitors to Branksome, particularly on the local pick-up freights from Templecombe, and, less often, local passenger into Bomo West. There have been a few times where they have been employed on summer saturday holiday trains doubleheaded, of course , with larger locos.

(edit) If you need withdrawl dates for the locos listed above, I have that also.

• RMweb Premium

I just hope that my pre-order arrives after the 24th November when my wife will be away for a while, what with my N class and BWT arriving in quck succssesion I think she would stop my pocket money if the 3F arrived hot on their heels

Mrs.Coach came home happy last night after a shopping doo in Manchester with the 'girls', so it seemed the logical moment to launch my expenditure chart spread over three years.....The 3F 0-6-0 (imminent), NRM Compound (futures) and Beyer-Garrat (2013). It must have sounded good as the Aye's got it. xD

• RMweb Gold

Mrs.Coach came home happy last night after a shopping doo in Manchester with the 'girls', so it seemed the logical moment to launch my expenditure chart spread over three years.....The 3F 0-6-0 (imminent), NRM Compound (futures) and Beyer-Garrat (2013). It must have sounded good as the Aye's got it. xD

Timing can often play an important part in such discussions (but secrecy and 'gradual revelation' also works quite well I've found).

• RMweb Gold

Going back to an earlier point and pondering a little more on the idea - a Bachmann 4F might go head to head with the revamped Hornby 4F, but if - like the 3F here - it's priced competitively in and around the £60 mark, who is going to buy the Hornby one at £25 more?

Someone who wants a 4F?

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the 3Fs on the Somerset and Dorset, does anyone know a knowledgeable source for which ones ran on the S&DJR, and which, if any, of the Bachmann ones are best suited to be used on an S&DJR layout? Also, did they ever get to the Southern end of the S&DJR (that is, onto the L&SWR metals beyond Broadstone)?

Ian, there are detail differences between (some, at least) of the original S&DJR 3Fs and the ex-Midland ones 'drafted in' to the S&D, specifically the sanding gear - if you look at the S&DJR ones (eg. 43216, 43218 etc.), you'll notice an additional operating rod slightly above the reversing lever, which I believe was the sanding gear operating lever. Also, on the ex-S&DJR ones there are some curious 'cup-shaped' sand box apertures, sticking out more or less horizontally from the front sand boxes. Finally, I suspect that some (?all?) that ran on the S&D would have had the Whitakers apparatus fitted (but haven't checked photos yet).

• RMweb Premium

It certainly appears that the detail differences will mean some very careful research for how to modify the Bachmann models to make them suitable for S&DJR examples. However, I think I've diverted this thread far enough, so for any future queries I will post them in the S&DJR group.

The Bachmann models are, I believe, numbered 43474, 43762 and 3502, none of which AFAIK ever ran on the S&DJR, so some renumbering will be needed.

The colour picture book, On Somersert & Dorset Lines by Robert Robotham, has on page 66, a March 1961 picture of Templecombe loco yard, which shows 43474 in one of the loco sidings. However, the cabside number is too blurred to be able to confirm if the caption is correct, and it wouldn't be the first caption to be wrong either.

The Bachmann website, was at one point (I havn't checked lately) listing this model as being an S&D example !

Does anyone know where 43474 was allocated in March 1961 ?, it wasn't any S&D shed !

There is nostalgic video (cine) footage shot by Ivo Peters of the last S&DJR Bulldog on its last journey light for scrapping. They were probably the most beautiful and well balanced design of British 0-6-0 tender engines.

I saw one at Fforyd Junction waiting to come off the Denbigh line and even the cab off a 2F in the loco yard at Rhyl. What was MR 2F doing at Rhyl?

According to RailUK, it was withdrawn from Bedford shed on 18/03/1961 and had also been there in 1948. Whether it reached the S&DJR in between, I don't know.

Nick

The aforementioned book about 3Fs states it was a Bedford engine on 1st Jan 1948 1st Jan 1960.

Now then.

Who will first to rewheel one of these then? :lol_mini:

5'3" wheels on 3mm axles is it I assume?

Tender with a new chassis maybe?

Get those orders into Ultrascale then - since Warrington Dallam had an allocation for years.....................

And when will a well known Liverpool based emporium have them - ahha, Christmas hints time.... :mail:

• RMweb Premium

Review in Model Rail was generally positive apart from the tender which has brake shoe issues (not in line with the wheels). Also they say the detail is rather basic on the tender frame. Well it looks good to me and i can live without the brake shoes being in line but it does seem like a bit of a cost cutting exercise.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I was a bit surprised by the wording of that paragraph in the 'Model Rail' review. Whilst I agree that the brake shoes would look better if they were arranged in line with the wheels rather than moulded as part of the frames, the arrangement used on the 3F looks very similar to the way the tender barke shoes are modelled on other recent Bachmann tender locos, e.g. the Super D and O4, so it seems unfair to suggest the 3F is inferior to other models in the range.

If the brake shoes were in line with the wheels, wouldn't that cause problems for those modelling EM and P4 gauge? Seems like the current set up accomadates all three main 4mm scales.

It would be nice to think so but recent wagon and van chassis including the generic BR 10ft chassis, the Cattle Trucks and the LNER wagons have the blocks in line with 00 wheels whereas a few years ago those on the BR 10ft chassis were OK for the wider gauges. On the first batches of Presflos (those with the tiny buffer heads) the brake blocks don't seem to line up with anything.

The 3F still looks good to me.

Archived