The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Are the Hatton's images of the new model? Going by the couplings, loco wheels, coupling rods, loco to tender connection

and the suggestion of traction tyres on the tender, I am wondering if these are pictures of the old model with new running

numbers stuck on as a stop-gap until the genuine article comes out. But I have been wrong before!

Jim

Jim, I hope you're right. I would expect that a new 4F be retooled and to be IAW Hornbys current high standard of detail and performance. We'll see. I'm unaware of a revenue loco wearing lined red livery - this was for passenger locos - not a good sign (like the red Jinty) but it could be a one-off and/or preserved.

Cheers

John

Is it just me that finds this off-topic discussion of the Hornby 4F a little confusing? I keep getting all excited when people talk about pictures of the model on the Hattons site, then I find it's just pictures of a slightly reworked Airfix model...

Just a gentle reminder, folks, this is meant to be about the Bachmann 3F. Isn't there another thread somewhere for the 4F?

Nick

Aren't those numbers for left-hand drive engines on right-hand drive bodies?

They look like l/h drive to me.(The forthcoming Hornby 4F's, new chassis, old body ??)

But waiting for the Bachmann 'Bulldogs'(S&DJR 3F's).

Yes, Paul, my mistake. Without checking pictures, I thought the reversing rod should be along the side of the firebox, and I couldn't see it on the left side of the engines in the pictures. It's actually inside the firebox cladding.

According to an email recieved this evening, Hattons will have more information on the Hornby 4F when it comes into stock. They think it will be loco drive but whether any superstructure changes have been made is anyones guess.

My own view is Hornby has the time to reintroduce the 4F as loco drive and get some more mileage out of the old Airfix body and tender before Bachmann has the opportunity to install a 4F body on its 3F chassis. We have seen this stunt played out in the past with locos that were previously tender driven.

My own view is Hornby has the time to reintroduce the 4F as loco drive and get some more mileage out of the old Airfix body and tender before Bachmann has the opportunity to install a 4F body on its 3F chassis. We have seen this stunt played out in the past with locos that were previously tender driven.

I hope they eventually do the same thing with the Dean Goods but in their reply to my email they said that they have no intention of doing so at this time. It is quite strange really, that some of the most common steam locos are not produced by either Bachmann or Hornby.

According to an email recieved this evening, Hattons will have more information on the Hornby 4F when it comes into stock. They think it will be loco drive but whether any superstructure changes have been made is anyones guess.

My view is that if there is a sniff of Bachmann doing a 4F, I would certainly be giving the Limby 4F a wide berth. If however, the Hornby 4F is a "wheels up" new loco, the decision would be a tad more difficult.

Hornby announced this year that the 2P and 4F would be loco drive, but that was the extent of the changes. Personally - like the B1 before it - I think it's a case of trying to get to market with a flag planted in certain loco classes, but there you go...

If the 4F ever turns up at all - bear in mind some of the range from 2009 still hasn't made it to the shops (and most of 2010 come to that) then it'll be another year at the very least before they appear. I remain cynical, not least because of the delay to the B17s announced in 2010, and to the 3 and a half year delay to various models in the Railroad range.

If I were Bachmann, I'd be designing the 4F now, and getting it out for spring time next year, because I simply can't see Hornby with THAT back catalogue getting the 4F out as a priority.

A brassmasters loco body kit and two Bachmann 3F's would be simpler...post-6680-0-98652600-1315079573.png

I take it you've seen the number of bits between the frames on this kit :O

Ah well, then Nick, that's a Bachmann 4F in the pipeline for sure!.... ;)

Just doing my bit to help everyone else get want they want :D

Nick

This 3F got my Kettle Bone itching rather a lot when I first heard of it... I have a feeling I've contracted a touch of Midlanditis lately - I assume that being fairly widespread then its not unlikely one may have got to both the Gloucester area and to Sheffield(ish)

Forgive my ignorance on such matters, Im a bit naive !

Oh yeah Mickey, just the odd one or two !!!!!

Every shed between Gloucester and Sheffield

In Steam Locomotive Casualty Reports by Stephen Mourton there is a shot of ex works 43194 on Barnwood shed sans middle pair of drivers. The loco had been overhauled at Derby works and was working it's passage back to Templecombe 71H when it ran a hot box, the wheelset being removed and returned to Derby for fettling. Standard black livery with late crests. Another photo in the book depicts 43645 scuttling back light to Gloucester at Hatherley Junction. Apparently a long time resident of Barnwood this loco received a heavy intermediate overhaul at Derby in September 1961.

Derek Sharpe a veteran from Saltley and still driving for XC has written an excellent book "The railways of Cadbury and Bourneville". Prior to Bournville closing in 1959 the shed had eight class 3Fs for five local trip diagrams tripping Bourneville, Birmingham Central Goods, Hazlewell, Lifford, Northfield and Kings Norton.

Target numbers were T65 T67 T68 T71 T73

Engines were 43263 43359 43521 43523 43583 43675 43668 43687

Saltley was also a prolific user of the class, sometimes as the Camp Hill pilot.

• RMweb Premium

This 3F got my Kettle Bone itching rather a lot when I first heard of it... I have a feeling I've contracted a touch of Midlanditis lately - I assume that being fairly widespread then its not unlikely one may have got to both the Gloucester area and to Sheffield(ish)

Forgive my ignorance on such matters, Im a bit naive !

Hi Mickey, just to tickle your kettle bone abit more, in March 2008 issue of Steam Days an article on Sheffield sheds refers to 3F 0-6-0s based at Millhouses Shed, at the end of the LMS era (I presume 1948) there were 2 no.s 3666 & 3796, and by 1950 1 3F no number given. That should be enough excuse me thinks :no: . Cheers Phil.

• 5 weeks later...

They do look fine. Are the crests correctly placed on the tender sides?

They look about right to me. The tender side has a central vertical beading. The 'M' of LMS and the BR crests were usually placed immediately behind this.

Nick

Does anybody know which period the LMS version depicts ?

Judging by the photos of the model posted earlier it looks to be yellow insignia shaded red. Following a mild flirtation with block insignia 1936-7, the LMS reverted to serif scroll insigina from January 1938 in chrome yellow instead of gold. The insignia would suit to end of LMS period in 1947.

I have to agree tender pick-ups would be a very good thing. The traditional Midland 8ft X 8ft 6ins wheelbase is notorious for stalling on Peco Insulfrog diamond crossings, although a sprung middle axle would ease the problem.

That really does look the part- definitely looking forward to getting my hands on one of those.

Slightly off-topic, nice to see the Crab in crimson as 13000 in the background of those pics as well- I'd completely forgotten they'd announced that one!

Archived