The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Those in the case probably didn't have any wires as they didn't have any motors inside either being only livery samples. That info came out after requests to run them on Dewsbury..

I would imagine there is a decoder socket in the tender and therefore wires between though Bachmann don't normally do tender pickups.

Surely you would want tender pick-ups though?

I was too busy to examine whether or not there were wires between but it would seem to be the thing to do; increase number of wheels with pick-ups?

Cheers,

John E.

I don't like them...just an extra fiddly thing to go wrong. They also add to the cost.

Those in the case probably didn't have any wires as they didn't have any motors inside either being only livery samples. That info came out after requests to run them on Dewsbury..

I would imagine there is a decoder socket in the tender and therefore wires between though Bachmann don't normally do tender pickups.

Like the Std 2. Mine stuttered slightly over frogs, and because the wireing was already in the tender it made fitting two more pickups in there a breeze. I do like this setup Bachmann have for their small tender locos.

Jim

I don't like them...just an extra fiddly thing to go wrong. They also add to the cost.

Sorry but i do not get why you would not want them ,or would you like the loco to stall over point work?

For me the more pick ups the better in my book, a lot better running as well.

Sorry but i do not get why you would not want them ,or would you like the loco to stall over point work?

For me the more pick ups the better in my book, a lot better running as well.

I'm puzzled as well; even if one or two go out of adjustment you're still better off than you would have been. As for cost, I cant imagine it adds that much

I would definitely want tender pick ups. I think the new Hornby 8F has them.

John

I wouldn't call the 8F a 'new; model, its one of the older China products.

Hornby have been fitting tender pickups since they started putting the motors in the loco and the only issue with them is that they sometimes cause a heck of a lot of drag as supplied and need a tweak.

More pickups is definitely beneficial though..

I wouldn't call the 8F a 'new; model, its one of the older China products.

Hornby have been fitting tender pickups since they started putting the motors in the loco and the only issue with them is that they sometimes cause a heck of a lot of drag as supplied and need a tweak.

More pickups is definitely beneficial though..

Haven't run mine in a while, but without taking it out of the box, IIRC the Hornby 8F picks up on every axle apart the front pony truck- and other than the occasional need to tweak the tender pickups because of the drag issue you mentioned, it definitely pays off in the way it performs.

Returning to the 3F, I'm definitely in the 'more pickups the better' camp

As the decoder is most likely in the tender, it would not be difficult to fit pick-ups there as well. It is something I am in the process of doing to all my Bachmann tender loco's.

Just consulted my copy of Midland Engines No 2 - the class 3 Belpaire Goods Engines by Hunt, Essery and James.

The 1960 allocations are interesting in that four locos missing from the list (London Midland Region) were transferred to other regions.- 43634, 43729 and 43751 went to the Eastern Region and 43682 to the Southern Region, Although actual shed allocations were not available.Hugh Longworth records them as follows ;

43634 wdn 11/60 scr 01/61

43729 wdn 05/61 scr 06/61

43751 wdn 09/61 and scrapped the same month

43682 wdn 09/62 and scrapped the same month

Of personal interest, a trio of 3Fs apparently spent a very short time at Bescot. 43189, 43760 and 43822 are on the list as allocated to Bescot on 1st January 1960.

43189 is on Jim Grindlay's list as allocated to 9G Northwich in 1959, wdn 11/60 and scapped 01/61

43760 is on Jim Grindlay's list as allocated to 5B Crewe South in 1959, wdn 04/62 and scrapped the same month .

43822 is on Jim Grindlay's list as allocated to 84G Salop in 1959, wdn 08/62 and scrapped 07/63

Cross referencing the Jim Grindlay information with Paul Bolger's BR Steam Motive Power Depots published by Book Law, Paul Bolger lists all three 3Fs as allocated to Bescot in 1959.

The Midland Engines book suggests that 43189 and 43760 had 3250 gallon tenders whilst 43822 had the larger 3500 gallon tank.

This is the only reference I have to Class 3Fs at Bescot although there were an odd few allocated to Walsall's Ryecroft shed as well as Aston, with congregations at Saltley and Bournville

Certainly enough evidence for me to warrant one of Bachmann's models !!

Of personal interest, a trio of 3Fs apparently spent a very short time at Bescot. 43189, 43760 and 43822 are on the list as allocated to Bescot on 1st January 1960.

This is the only reference I have to Class 3Fs at Bescot although there were an odd few allocated to Walsall's Ryecroft shed as well as Aston, with congregations at Saltley and Bournville

Certainly enough evidence for me to warrant one of Bachmann's models !!

Yes Phil, me also, seeing as my current (fictitious) layout is based on that area, at that time :sungum:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I read that too, looks like there are a lot of goodies on their way in this shipment, I have a 3F on pre order from Hattons, I wonder if they will be available for Warley as well?

...Hornby have been fitting tender pickups since they started putting the motors in the loco and the only issue with them is that they sometimes cause a heck of a lot of drag as supplied and need a tweak...

Pick ups on unpowered wheels with outside axleboxes should be on the pinpoint for no incremental friction, using a split axle technique. Bachmann have demonstrated competence in this on their MU's and Pullmans, so it was an unwelcome surprise to see wipers on the half axles of the NRM/Bachmann MR compound. Typically it is smaller and lighter steam models that benefit most from pick up extending beyond the coupled wheels, and the last thing these need is incremental sources of drag.

According to MREmag today 17/10, the three 3F's are on the boat from China!

Cheers, Peter C.

I was talking to the Bachmann stand manager at the Manchester show and he confirmed that the late crest was due to be shipped in October the others following shortly afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran one last evening (LMS)

looks the part and offers good slow running. I wasn't interested in having extra drag with tender pickups, why ? Well my Jinty, 57xx, 8750, and 56xx run superbly across dead-frog points, so quite honestly I didn't even look !!

The decoder is in the tender with permanently attached wires - the boxing IS designed to hold connected with a small warning sticker on the clear plastic packaging advising that they need to be removed as an ensemble. They do however sit as individual items and need to have the draw-bar released before packing away.

Can't say more as this was a private pre-viewing and I didn't handle enough to give that thorough a going-over !!

All are somewhere between China & U.K ....... just hope no idiot tried smuggling something in the container. all being well available by Warley ?????

Dad-1

......The decoder is in the tender with permanently attached wires - the boxing IS designed to hold connected with a small warning sticker on the clear plastic packaging advising that they need to be removed as an ensemble. They do however sit as individual items and need to have the draw-bar released before packing away......

Maybe they could do what some of the Continental makers do, and have the entire model wrapped in a polythene strip which acts as a "lift-out" cradle, so you can take out engine and tender from the packaging in one go.

• RMweb Premium

For me this is an attractive model which will run under Rules 1 and 2 (Its my layout etc) and my pre order is at an attractive price given the way prices have been soaring in recent times. My hope is that good sales will encourage production of more workaday 0-6-0 tender locos, particularly those hailing from the North East, J21/ J25/ and J27 would be useful.

Regarding the 4F, I put a Comet Chassis under my old Airfix Model and with a Mashima motor + DJH gearbox it runs quite nicely. Haven't I read somewhere that Hornby are to revamp their version of this model with Loco drive? If so I hope we don't end up with another wasteful 'duplicate' production battle between the manufacturers. There are still plenty of steam locos that haven't been exploited in RTR form.

I'm always amazed that, to the best of my knowledge, Bachmann's J39 is the only LNER 0-6-0 Tender Loco which has ever been available RTR.

Regards,

John

Archived