The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Delivery update from Hattons would suggest it's any day now...

Bachmann UK 31-625 Class 3F 0-6-0 43474 in BR Black with late crest. £62.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 16th November 2011

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Reference 31-625, the BR late crest version is currently being despatched from Bachmann to retailers, and my sources suggest that demand is likely to much higher than supply. If you want one and haven't reserved one, then grab it quickly!

I pre-ordered a 31-626 BR early crest 3F from - The Signal Box only last week. They are still available for pre-order on their web site for 56.00 quid.

At the time of me placing my order Hattons had increased their pre-order price from 56.00 to 62.00.

Just taken mine apart and there are two screws in each rear corner as you say. On the front of the tender there are two latches that engage in slots at the front of the chassis. Undo the two screws and lift the rear of the tender. With a little fiddling, the latches will disengage and you can lift it off.

post-6950-0-96298400-1321544914_thumb.jpg

Just taken mine apart and there are two screws in each rear corner as you say. On the front of the tender there are two latches that engage in slots at the front of the chassis. Undo the two screws and lift the rear of the tender. With a little fiddling, the latches will disengage and you can lift it off.

post-6950-0-96298400-1321544914_thumb.jpg

Ooh, I didn't enjoy doing that with my lovely new model... Thanks for the advice, sorted.

Either I'm easily pleased or this has to be a pretty handsome loco....

The cab is beautifully done with a detailed backhead and a beige roof. Plus an adjustable drawbar to close couple. Has RTR ever got any better.

Congratulations Bachmann on producing a great 0-6-0...(to my eyes)

post-6950-0-24560700-1321551399_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-69468500-1321551407_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-29676900-1321551415_thumb.jpg

Great Gordon! Call meself a painter ~ I don't know why I'm waiting for an early crest one.... :dontknow:

Now without wanting to sound like a hyper-critic, those splashers look a tad oversize to me. Yes I am aware there were two sizes on these engines but the wheels should wear the splashers like a glove.. I hope Bachmann haven't copied them off a Hornby's 4F.....gulp!

post-6680-0-73464700-1321553487.jpg

Photo: R H G Simpson

Has RTR ever got any better.

Not that I've seen.

Mention should be made of how heavy it is for it's size. Not tried hauling anything with it but I expect it will shade the prototype! Excellent model, just needs weathering to within an inch of it's life.

• RMweb Premium

Now without wanting to sound like a hyper-critic, those splashers look a tad oversize to me. Yes I am aware there were two sizes on these engines but the wheels should wear the splashers like a well fitting coat. I hope Bachmann haven't copied them off a Hornby's 4F.....gulp!

To my eyes, it looks like the wheels are further away from the splasher than they would otherwise be on the prototype - so it's probably a case of the 16.5mm gauge showing itself on a model that has splashers to the correct size.

The width across wheel faces with the typical OO wheel standard is practically dead scale nowadays. What is not, and cannot be, is the lateral displacements those wheels have to be permitted to get round set track radius curves. That and the necessary material thickness for the splsher face which will scale out much more than that of the sheet steel used to make the real splasher all conspire to nudge these things just a little further outboard than they should be. But, that view from the cab along the footplating looked well enough...

May there be many more small 0-6-0 models to this standard.

Archived