Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Daily Mail article not good press for Kent and East Sussex

Hayfield

I stand by my comments. And, if you are right about the Gaurdian, I’m not sure how two wrongs make a right.

Also, I’m not sure how you reached your mistaken view about which paper I prefer.

Kevin

Kevin

I am not saying two wrongs make a right, just saying the Guardian is just as bad in slanting its reporting to fit its own agenda as the other papers, all papers do this they pander to their readership

However having a pop at someone just because they read a certain paper seems to come from some self elected self righteous elite which includes some of the Guardian readers, amongst others who hold similar views, by all means disagree, but do it nicely  

• RMweb Gold

Certain groups will decry what ever is written, nothing wrong with the British press or news outlets. Thankfully they are free to report what they wish without fear of reprimand, Once you get past the political statements and comments usually the content is both informative, humorous in some cases but most of all entertaining,  

lets face it each one is pandering to its audience.   [1] 

To get a balanced view. read a few different opposing papers. [2].   

The British press is an insight of the British Press not the people. [3]   The same could be said about most countries. 

If [1] is correct, and few would argue that it is not, then [3] clearly cannot be so.

Excepting the relatively small cohort [2] who have the time and inclination to read more than one daily, the relative readership of our national titles must logically and proportionately reflect the attitudes of the people.

Most who still buy daily newspapers at all, only buy one, and it will naturally be one that has a stance/tone with which they, for the most part, concur. 

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Why do I feel this thread is on a path to padlocking?

I recall making a lighthearted remark about the Daily Mail and its readership on a thread last year. No real malice intended, and the sentiment was mine and mine alone. The rather shi++y reply that I got from a RMWeb member actually reinforced my opinion.

That left me in two minds... do some folk really have no sense of humour and an over-inflated sense of their own importance? Or, perhaps that particular newspaper does breed and encourage the worst in people?

Everyone is free to read whatever they wish and long may that continue. Equally, everyone is free to express an opinion. If some folk don't like that opinion, tough really. Life goes on.

• Like 1

Presumably none of those sneering at the Daily Mail are aware of its recent campaigns supporting the Windrush generation and highlighting the issues of plastic pollution, culminating over the weekend just gone in a nationwide litter clearance exercise ?

Nope as I don't read the Mail but two issues i fully support. I will admit DM is very easy to sneer at.

Presumably none of those sneering at the Daily Mail are aware of its recent campaigns supporting the Windrush generation...

I was aware of that, but I'm afraid I find it rather hypocritical when considering some of their recent anti-immigration rants.

post-17811-0-66590700-1526283330.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Presumably none of those sneering at the Daily Mail are aware of its recent campaigns supporting the Windrush generation and highlighting the issues of plastic pollution, culminating over the weekend just gone in a nationwide litter clearance exercise ?

None of which is done to find a bandwagon to jump on and increase readership?

Mike.

• Like 2

Let's not forget the Steven Lawrence case too - if it hadn't been for the Mail's efforts, his murder would have probably gone unsolved; thanks to the paper and some of its team, at least 2 (and potentially a third one too, given a recent arrest on another matter) of his killers were brought to justice and are now serving time at Her Majesty's Pleasure...

...but we digress even further.

Back on topic, I wonder how this will now develop. My own money, were I to be a betting man, is that the purchase will go ahead before too long, and we will see the Robertbridge extension completed within 10 years maximum

• Like 2

Let's not forget the Steven Lawrence case too - if it hadn't been for the Mail's efforts, his murder would have probably gone unsolved; thanks to the paper and some of its team, at least 2 (and potentially a third one too, given a recent arrest on another matter) of his killers were brought to justice and are now serving time at Her Majesty's Pleasure...

...but we digress even further.

Back on topic, I wonder how this will now develop. My own money, were I to be a betting man, is that the purchase will go ahead before too long, and we will see the Robertbridge extension completed within 10 years maximum

Good luck with the extension, I enjoy my visits to the KESR

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully they are free to report what they wish without fear of reprimand

Despite my general disdain for the media I think that I'd much rather tolerate the sort of asinine and sensationalist drivel we have to put up with than the alternative of some sort of regulated press, which would end up meaning either de-jure or de-facto state regulation. As much as I dislike the media we have a free press is one of the cornerstones of a free society along with an independent judiciary and representative government.

• Like 2

Despite my general disdain for the media I think that I'd much rather tolerate the sort of asinine and sensationalist drivel we have to put up with than the alternative of some sort of regulated press, which would end up meaning either de-jure or de-facto state regulation. As much as I dislike the media we have a free press is one of the cornerstones of a free society along with an independent judiciary and representative government.

Agreed, although a requirement for some basic fact-checking, and/or prominence of retractions of inaccurate pieces might be arguable. At least in the case of things presented as news rather than op-ed.

I recall making a lighthearted remark about the Daily Mail and its readership on a thread last year. 

My dear ol' dad, god rest his soul, would never let that newspaper into the house. He had a torrid time in North Africa, during WW2 (caught Malaria ), then Italy, and was one of the first liberators into Belsen. The Rothermere family backed a certain Adolf Hitler during the 30's - say no more - lock.

Agreed, although a requirement for some basic fact-checking, and/or prominence of retractions of inaccurate pieces might be arguable. At least in the case of things presented as news rather than op-ed.

Hold on, since when in the British Press did facts get in the way of a good story. Most readers like a good story regardless of whether its true or not especially when it feeds their own sussipions or interests    

• RMweb Gold

Hold on, since when in the British Press did facts get in the way of a good story. Most readers like a good story regardless of whether its true or not especially when it feeds their own sussipions or interests    

And/or prejudices.

• RMweb Premium

Godwins law bingo, I claim my prize!

Unfortunately there is plenty of historical evidence that PROVES the right wing press, including Lord Rothermare amongst many other 'establishment' figures (many of whom would be considered staunch Conservative supporters), admired Hitler including his racist views and authoritarian policies.  OK they may not have known the finer details about the forced movement of Jews into Ghettos or that mass extermination / genocide would follow, but the warnings were there if anybody had chosen to pay attention to them.

Having been through all that there is an obligation on all of us INCLUDING the current Lord Rothermare, the Barclay Brothers, the Murdochs, etc. not to fall into the same trap. Unfortunately for society it seems that making money by encouraging sensationalist and hateful reporting is more important.

• RMweb Premium

And we all have prejudices.

We do indeed.

We are also all 'biased'

As such it is important to distinguish between personal opinions and facts.

Thus, rather than allowing us to indulge ourselves by telling us what we want to hear, the press should be challenging said prejudices through the popper presentation of factually correct non sensational reporting

• RMweb Premium

Hold on, since when in the British Press did facts get in the way of a good story. Most readers like a good story regardless of whether its true or not especially when it feeds their own suspicions or interests    

A story is a work of fiction, and yes they can be fun to read. No problem with publications telling stories as long as they make it clear is clear that the contents are not necessarily true.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back in East Sussex, I must confess surprise that important bodies are behind this scheme. I had always assumed that a new level crossing on the A21 was about as likely as a duff bottle of Hirondelle (that dates me!). But as we know from the Bluebell experience, nothing improves a preserved railway's prospects so much as a connection to, or at least in an interchange with, the National Network. The KESR is an unpretentious line compared to some - I used to live in Cranbrook, and it was an easy drive to watch the trains come and go. I hope their ambitions are rewarded - but without losing the essentially rural aspect of their line.  

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

Thus, rather than allowing us to indulge ourselves by telling us what we want to hear, the press should be challenging said prejudices through the popper presentation of factually correct non sensational reporting

The press aren't in the business of telling the public in a fair and unbiased way what is going on in the country/ world. They are in the business of making money for their owners (ie selling newspapers and advertising space), and they do that by presenting things in a way which will appeal to their target audience, and take the political positions which align with what their owners believe is in their best interest.

The same applies to most of the broadcast media.

• RMweb Premium

A story is a work of fiction, and yes they can be fun to read. No problem with publications telling stories as long as they make it clear is clear that the contents are not necessarily true.

And that is precisely where they go wrong. Often they continuously peddle the same lies, with the expectation that some mud will eventually stick.

For a very recent example, try Rebel Wilson and the resultant court case. Remember she offered to Bauer Media Group, a settlement of $200,000 and a retraction, which was not forthcoming.

Its a Wikipedia link, but it covers the gist of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Wilson#Media_controversy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I first read the story in 'The Times' and it was little different from what is being said about the way other 'papers have 'reported' it.  Basically the farmers set out their - somewhat skewed - side of the story and that was that.  And nobody mentioned that they had only got hold of the land some time after the line had closed and that they had more than likely paid little more than a pittance for it (because that is what such sections of closed line went for).  Typical press story based very much on one side of the reality with the various twists and turns of presentation then depending entirely on the ability or otherwise of the person who wrote the story and the market they were aiming at.

Absolutely typical of the UK media I thought and in some resects no different from The Grauniad having a go about NR's long overdue lineside jungle clearance which they strangely picked up on a good two years after the programme had started  - yet again no doubt 'somebody' had alerted what they thought was the most suitable newspaper to run their particular version of events.  Sorry but that tends nowadays to be how the press works - it can't afford to do much original stuff, including in depth research, itself.

• Like 6

Well I certainly opened a can of worms didn't I ,all I wanted was feedback on the situation and wether or not the public in the area support the reopening .The fact it was in the Mail is neither here nor there it was published in a mass circulation paper and could cause harm if a backlash occurred.It matters not which newspaper you read as long as you form you opinion based on a number of outlets ,I certainly don't and will investigate a news item of interest from as many outlets I can.Back to the railway I was surprised that a level crossing was allowed on the A21 as NR does not like them.If this happens doubtless all will be calm after a while and everyone will carry on with lives we hope.