Daily Mail article not good press for Kent and East Sussex

"I was at Robertsbridge Junction on Sunday and the work being done there is top quality. the brains behind the project appears to be Mike Hart MBE, the man who gave us the Welsh Highland Railway."

Did he bring the angry farmers with him?

In fairness, I think he might have been the guy who managed to find a way of brokering peace between railway and farmers.

• Like 1

I'm not really surprised at the shite quality of journalism around preserved railways in these two papers.  It was the coverage in both those publications of the NYMR War Weekend that was a large contributing factor to the Moors getting rid of the Germans at Levisham.

Surely anyone who spends their spare time dressing up and strutting around as a WW2 German soldier must be a Daily Mail reader ?

"I was at Robertsbridge Junction on Sunday and the work being done there is top quality. the brains behind the project appears to be Mike Hart MBE, the man who gave us the Welsh Highland Railway."

In fairness, I think he might have been the guy who managed to find a way of brokering peace between railway and farmers.

Yes, quite probably. There's angry farmers everywhere.

Mike has been behind several major railway rebuilding projects over the years. There's a couple of serious benefactors of the RVR who remain anonymous who have put several million£ into the project which has had to be match funded by others. I posted the toilet picture to show how top class the facilities there will be. LUL have provided a lot of the materials and manpower for the layout at Robertsbridge.

Surely anyone who spends their spare time dressing up and strutting around as a WW2 German soldier must be a Daily Mail reader ?

Or a Guardian reader in disguise  :jester:  (just to redress the balance in terms of fairness)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the 'rising bollards' style crossing could actually end up being less safe as people would still drive over them as they rose and would then end up stranded on the crossing.

I think the idea is that you can't drive onto them, but you can drive off the crossing over them. They are kind of one way valves!

Two conflicting parties, each with its own agenda!  The rail side obviously would like to extend its tracks while the locals are adamantly against such a proposition and each can't see the others side.  I'm unaware of the legalities of the case but it would seem to be a case of arbitration of some sort is necessary even if to bring common sense into the equation.  As it seems now, the country set is bringing all the usual excuses while the railway maintains the customary branch lines over time fade into the landscape scenario.  The level crossing will take some getting used to however, but its not insurmountable with open minds on both sides.  At the very least it would help with traffic calming!

Brian.

I think the residents of out village would love a level crossing here, we have an A road going through the village, which is far busire that the A21. No chance of a by pass or road widening. Despite a roundabout flanked by 2 traffic light controlled zebra crossings close to it and a working speed camera we still have accidents. Any form of traffic calming is welcome especially where some abuse the speed limits

As for the natural habitats of wild life, land adjacent to railway  normally is a wild life haven. As for flooding !!! very much an over reaction on their website, makes tabloid reporting look good

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the residents of out village would love a level crossing here, we have an A road going through the village, which is far busire that the A21. 

On Summer Sundays and Bank Holidays the A21 Hastings road is really rather busy with long queues, and southbound they have all just been held up at the lights at Flimwell, too - just when K&ESR punters are at their most numerous!

If you go on UTube there is a section on level crossings ,there is in Russia a system of plates that emerge from the road and supposedly stop traffic but as shown idiots still drive into them!  The people against the level crossing seem to be hyper petrol heads who demand a clear road at all times I have seen drivers ignore school crossing patrols sadly this sought of behaviour is on the increase.Back on topic I went on the K&ESR with my U3A group and it truly is a lovely line to ride on ,I liked the historic stock and the Terriers .

There is an analysis on line, carried out by RVR's highly reputable consultant, which estimates traffic impact of the LC, in context of traffic impact of the lights and junctions along that (very annoying!) stretch of the A21, and it is miniscule in comparison, simply because it would be used so few times each day, whereas the other things break the flow every few minutes.

What the A21 needs from a 'trunk route' perspective, and for the for the prosperity of Hastings, is a decent dual-carriageway bypass, and I do wonder if that is what some of the objectors are really after, although that would probably cause far greater environmental damage and loss of passing trade, so who knows?!

On Summer Sundays and Bank Holidays the A21 Hastings road is really rather busy with long queues, and southbound they have all just been held up at the lights at Flimwell, too - just when K&ESR punters are at their most numerous!

We have long queues both morning and evening all year at their worst 2+ miles long and yet they still keep developing housing and businesses further up the road, we are a bit like southeast Kent in the quality of roads. You never know it may assist some traffic on to other routes

Another reason to build the extension.

The K&ESR is on my to-do list, once the extension is built I will be arriving by train!

We try to have one break each year by train, so that would add quite a bit to the local economy

as we would have three or four nights hotel accomodation (in Tenterden), plus various other visits, meals out etc

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When traffic is congested anyway, interruptions caused by traffic lights and level crossings have little or no effect on overall journey times. 

When they get a "green", those held up just get a bit of relatively clear road to enjoy before catching up with the snarl once more.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Whilst I entirely agree with the general view of the Daily Mail these days,   there was a time, maybe during and just after WW2 and perhaps before then,  when any ambitious  journalist  badly wanted the D.M. on his CV, only  seeing the Manchester Guardian (as it then was)  as being a better pick from from all the rest of the pack.   Different Editor and/or proprietor I suppose, sad really.

And surely the Welsh Highland has a history of dealing with level crossings and street running on extremely busy roads and the Cambrian Main Line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-chApQBQsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMRd3vLnhw

Jason

Another reason to build the extension.

The K&ESR is on my to-do list, once the extension is built I will be arriving by train!

We try to have one break each year by train, so that would add quite a bit to the local economy

as we would have three or four nights hotel accomodation (in Tenterden), plus various other visits, meals out etc

cheers

I have not visited the K&ESR yet as it has no main line rail connection. If/when it does, I will visit (by train), and will therefore contribute to the local economy but not to road traffic.

• Like 1

I suspect the 'rising bollards' style crossing could actually end up being less safe as people would still drive over them as they rose and would then end up stranded on the crossing.

I once witnessed a 'white van', adorned with vinyls advertising its owners, a very well-known car windscreen repair/replacement service, attempting to tailgate the previous vehicle across one such device. Needless to say, he didn't make it; the noise as the bollard went through the engine sump and wrecked the engine had to be heard to be believed, and isn't it amazing how far just a few litres of hot lub oil spreads...

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to complain to the Press about the LNER taking over my railway, not because I do not want it "on my land" or becuse it will cause traffic chaos, but because it has taken 71 years for them to do it. :onthequiet:

P

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I entirely agree with the general view of the Daily Mail these days,   there was a time, maybe during and just after WW2 and perhaps before then,  when any ambitious  journalist  badly wanted the D.M. on his CV, only  seeing the Manchester Guardian (as it then was)  as being a better pick from from all the rest of the pack.   Different Editor and/or proprietor I suppose, sad really.

So what is your view on the standard of the article, in a journalistic sort of way?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

For those wishing to visit Tenterden, but don't wish to use a car, there is a bus service from Ashford station (down side):-

https://bustimes.org/services/2-rolvenden-tenterden-ashford

If you go to Headcorn, there’s a very good regular bus service to Tenterden from Maidstone calling at the station. Edited by Northroader

What's the point indeed!  If you are on the NIMBY side, there is no point as they are not interested in railways in any shape or form.  Maybe they don't commute anywhere or if they do they take the bus, but the railway does improve business in the area, as has been proven many times.  Though perhaps this same group may not be interested, no doubt a lot of pubs, restaurants and shopkeepers would welcome the extra business. and if the railway is used, extra traffic would be mitigated.  But some kind of compromise has to be agreed as property has to be protected for the long run.

Brian

If there's a good bus service then what's the point of the railway....

:tomato:

Jason

In one sense none at all, but even as a heritage railway it may at some times provide a better service than the bus does. Also it serves a purpose other than transport; it is a tourist attraction. Also for those visiting by National Rail, I expect being able to just get on the K&ESR train rather than waiting for a bus and then changing (and waiting) again at Tenterden will be more convenient so they will be more likely to visit, rather than not coming at all or driving and contributing to congestion (as moaned about in objections to the extension). Edited by 009 micro modeller