The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Non-Alcoholic Beer

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Rodent & I have recently got into non-alcoholic beer. Yes, don't snigger, they can be very tasty and refreshing! First thing I drank after Manchester Marathon last year was a pint of Erdinger Alkoholfrei. Delicious.

Our favourites are Erdinger and some Czech stuff from Sainsbury's. What are yours?

I drink it when I am designated driver, and usually it is whatever the hostelry happens to stock. 

Usually that means Becks Blue, which is drinkable enough - especially with a pub meal. 

I've never been a consumer of much liquid, couple of cups of tea per day is my usual intake.

I don't like water and never acquired the taste for alcohol, but will have a can of ginger beer for a cold drink.

In my other hobby I get offered lots of free beer/drinks but refuse it, I don't think my stomach could handle one pint never mind several pints of liquid slushing around inside.

Just not thirsty I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

The Germans seem to be better at non-alcoholic beer than we are. But I have never yet found one that did not taste a bit odd.

Better than the alcohol-free wines though. All truly awful.

Funny that, myself, Mrs Rodent and mini Rodent are currently sitting at Tintern Old Station, enjoying the sun and sipping Franziskaner Alkoholfrei. Rather nice!

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Germans seem to be better at non-alcoholic beer than we are. But I have never yet found one that did not taste a bit odd.

Better than the alcohol-free wines though. All truly awful.

The Germans aren’t great at alcohol-full wines...!

Don't normally do non alcoholic beer but was at a wedding recently and I had to drive home so rather than J2O or similar I had a Becks blue and echo Jonny777's comment about it being drinkable even though Ale rather than Lager is my usual tipple.

• Like 1

Given that I'm not supposed to be drinking the real stuff yet, I quite enjoy a Becks Blue or Carlsberg 0.0. But recently I had a non-alcoholic stout, called St Peter's Without, brewed somewhere in Suffolk, which I didn't enjoy as much as other alcohol free beers, but quite nice nonetheless.

What I would enjoy is a non-alcoholic craft ale, like Hobgoblin or Black Sheep.

We have Bavaria & San Miguel alcohol-free beer malt drinks on here at present. OK if well chilled, if you must...

Mind you, we had our ship's stores filled with Chinese alcohol-free stuff on leaving the builder's yard back in 2014. Interestingly, it was actually about 4% alcohol, as someone spotted when idly examining a can...it made the voyage to Europe much better :sungum:  We made sure it was all gone before we got to our first port in NW Europe  :angel: 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I tried a Becks Blue once. That was enough to convince not to bother to pretend to have a "beer" if I was driving. It's simpler just to have cola, OJ, lemonade etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Becks Blue is ok, but Erdinger Alkoholfrei is much better, as is the Franziskaner Alkoholfrei. Going to try Heineken alcohol free tonight. Not expecting great things!

• RMweb Gold

The Germans aren’t great at alcohol-full wines...!

Well, as a wine professional, I can't let that go by without comment.

The Germans make some superb wines. Obviously the dry whites, but also some great dessert wines and, increasingly, some great red wines (Pinot Noir/Spatburgunder).

But they don't come cheap and are not widely available in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

With some misgivings I recently bought a 500ml bottle of Erdinger Alkoholfrei (Tesco, £1.30).  To my surprise it was quite OK, indeed very pleasant out of the fridge on a hot day.  I'd also echo other comments that Brewdog Nanny State is quite drinkable, but I wouldn't buy Becks Blue again.  Currently in the fridge awaiting the next hot day (though I fear we may just have had our summer) is 500ml of Franziskaner Weissbier Alkohofrei which I expect to be satisfactory.  Continental lagers that are actually brewed on the continent are invariably much better than Britsh brewed lagers, and I expect that the same applies to alcohol free beers, most of which appear to be of a lager type.

DT

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone remember the days of Barbican, as plugged on telly by Lawrie McMenemy? I think he'd be in his eighties now.

"Barbican. The alcohol-free lager. Is great, mon...."

I tried it. Once.

Gosh, that takes me back. Lawrie McMenemy was the Southampton manager at the time, so it was OK to ask for a Barbican if my turn had come round as the duty driver that week en route to and from the Southampton ice rink, but a pretty daft thing to ask for if my duty happened to be for a visit to Southsea.

The alternatives available at that time were Whitbread White Label, and Clausthaler (1% and 0.5% respectively, back then). I found Clausthaler OK, but the White Label always caused me a migraine the next day. Soon learnt to avoid the White Label pubs when it was my turn to drive. The low alcohol / alcohol free beers were very expensive compared to the normal bitters and lagers, though. Lemonade or cola were not really a good option for me; the gas bubbles had to come back out......

Found Clausthaler available in the works canteen in Luxembourg in the early 90s.

In more recent years, I found that the non-alcoholic beers available from Rugenbrau and Feldschlosschen were of similar taste to their regular mainstream products.

Edited by DIW