Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2023 at 10:03, gwrrob said:

WR 16xx class 1608 heads west with some coal in the summer of 1957.

DSCN8011.JPG.cfd18d406dbb70fe2a29747594eab345.JPG

DSCN8012.JPG.67af36eee8fc42dc34f3235bafa4218b.JPG

DSCN8013.JPG.7c4364f69efece3aa2c1061492c2d813.JPG

DSCN8016.JPG.d7bbd9e2bf78bfe20a5deb40ac1560ca.JPG

DSCN8017.JPG.2a112050369bc8c2f685c7409c931a3c.JPG

IMHO one of the very best OO rtr tanks. Meaty performance,excellent slow running and it looks the part….despite shock/ horror with the bunker “join”. Now for the Hawksworth and the small Prairies 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not long till we see their 15xx @Ian Hargrave

Yee ha !  By sheer coincidence,just watched S## of the Trains appraisal of the 16XX. He is bowled over by it. Finds scratch on the finish to complain about but misses the bunker join . Seriously,the performance and mechanism on this model are exceptionally fine. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 18:56, Ian Hargrave said:

Yee ha !  By sheer coincidence,just watched S## of the Trains appraisal of the 16XX. He is bowled over by it. Finds scratch on the finish to complain about but misses the bunker join . Seriously,the performance and mechanism on this model are exceptionally fine. 

Thanks to all the early troubles with this model, I dithered and finally decided against it. You might have convinced me. Now, where to find the shekels? 🚂

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Following the 15XX beauty, if there are any, is this worth getting Phil?

Phil (the other one)

As Churchill would say….”Oh Yessss…!” My personal recommendation with superb performance.I don’t mind the bunker join .I got a weathered example in any case which to a certain extent masks it. I have a high regard for the little beast.IMO better performance than the Bachmann 94XX…well at least in my case 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Following the 15XX beauty, if there are any, is this worth getting Phil?

Phil (the other one)

I would say so Phil! I know it floated my boat with the model of a Worcester loco but mine is certainly an all round good un.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. I've ordered the Taunton example that was still around in 1960. Pity the Sparky ones were Gloucester or withdrawn, however the Taunton one could easily have escaped to Chard or Yeovil and then got 'borrowed' for Seaton Junction.

Nice, and it's all your faults!

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks all. I've ordered the Taunton example that was still around in 1960. Pity the Sparky ones were Gloucester or withdrawn, however the Taunton one could easily have escaped to Chard or Yeovil and then got 'borrowed' for Seaton Junction.

Nice, and it's all your faults!

Phil 

Hee hee you are welcome….. am sure you will return the favour, prevaricating over the 15xx here

Phil

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Excuse nasty Coupling: only Lamp and Coal added and it's running in on DCC now, with 8 on!

Phil

Ah I must be safe … surely No 15xx ever made it to Worcester 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Scroll to the bottom Phil :) http://www.miac.org.uk/ted-crocker.html

Cheers Mike! I did look at that photo again before posting to check which loco it was as I was making a very poor attempt at irony! Didn’t get past your good self did it? 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Mike! I did look at that photo again before posting to check which loco it was as I was making a very poor attempt at irony! Didn’t get past your good self did it? 😉

Doomed then! They did begin to disperse in '61.

Lucky you saw that Phil.

Phil 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Just arrived from Kernow.

What a great model. Perfect as far as I can see and runs as smooth as a smooth thing on a polished Marble Floor.

I shall continue testing it on DC during the weekend.

Phil

I’m pleased it’s had another seal of approval.It deserves to be better known than it has been thus far. Now perhaps Rapido could be persuaded to widen its field in the world of Panniers as it seems members of this forum think there is need of new tooling here ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’m pleased it’s had another seal of approval.It deserves to be better known than it has been thus far. Now perhaps Rapido could be persuaded to widen its field in the world of Panniers as it seems members of this forum think there is need of new tooling here ?

I only decided to get one after receiving my 15XX and seeing some of the thread on this Pannier. 

I, as many, don't really need one, or can't really justify one, however I was impressed by the 15XX and I hardly have any Panniers and felt left out (nah, not really!).

When I saw one was at Taunton in 1960, that was enough to tip my thinking!

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

16XX tank. Any recc's for Decoder? I have used a Dapol one in my 15XX and it seems OK.  ESU Lokpilot in my 'other place' Manor and that's OK. Both so neat and plug and play of course.

Thanks.

Phil

I've got a LokSound v5 with Wheeltappers Sound in mine. It gives good performance and sound. 

I seem to recollect that Rapido mentioned ESU as being the preferred decoder when they were first released as well, but that could be my imagination

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Now perhaps Rapido could be persuaded to widen its field in the world of Panniers as it seems members of this forum think there is need of new tooling here ?

No, please don't encourage them to produce more panniers.

Please can someone else produce panniers, a manufacturer who adopts RP25 wheel profiles and uses proper, iron cored motors and above all, has a body and chassis design that - like Bachmann - can see the two very easily separated by a screw fore and aft.

I know I've said I'm trying to give Rapido another chance - and I am - but the design of that 16XX is an abomination.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, please don't encourage them to produce more panniers.

Please can someone else produce panniers, a manufacturer who adopts RP25 wheel profiles and uses proper, iron cored motors and above all, has a body and chassis design that - like Bachmann - can see the two very easily separated by a screw fore and aft.

I know I've said I'm trying to give Rapido another chance - and I am - but the design of that 16XX is an abomination.

Oooof CK. As an 'average modeller', with respect, I have to disagree. OK the wheels maybe a bit 'chunky' and need a coating of grunge, but the thing runs like a dream. However I do only use Code 75 and I understand why someone using FS might find it irritating.

Rob's version on ANTB looks the works to me and I aspire to the weathering skills of oldbaldlygo.

Phil

• Agree 1