• RMweb Gold

Fran,

I model 1975 which is right on the changeover from preTOPS to TOPS. In your research have you been able to identify when the change was made to most of the fleet so I can buy the right versions or mix of versions?

Cheers

Hi WaveyDavey,

Looking at our research material up to a quarter of the cemflo rake was in pre TOPS condition still, albeit heavily weathered. So you could conceivably mix pre TOPS and TOPS wagons to cover this period.

Hope this is of help!

Fran

Thanks for the post. I,ve been thinking about ordering more and mixing tops and pre-tops because I,d like some to have blue circle stamped on the sides.

To help me calculate the biggest train I can fit on my layout, do we know how long a rake of 10 would be please?

Edited by JSpencer

If you're that worried, don't forget to factor coupling slop into the equation too!

Mike.

Couplings can be squashed. I'm sure I'll squeeze out 0.2mm if required.

The 0.2mm statement I made was intended as a joke. Curious to know what Accurascale's Warley announcement will be. Once known, in will go my order with or without the new announcement depending on how suitable it is for my interests.

With the PCAs and Cemflos, we might just have another Cement item to go with them (there are some old Hornby, Dapol, Lima items just waiting for an expert retool for a start).

• RMweb Gold

Couplings can be squashed. I'm sure I'll squeeze out 0.2mm if required.

The 0.2mm statement I made was intended as a joke. Curious to know what Accurascale's Warley announcement will be. Once known, in will go my order with or without the new announcement depending on how suitable it is for my interests.

With the PCAs and Cemflos, we might just have another Cement item to go with them (there are some old Hornby, Dapol, Lima items just waiting for an expert retool for a start).

its a leader... and a 10800 to follow :-) then DHP1 Edited by adb968008

Dumb question to maybe allow us to return back to topic....

Did the PCAs and Cemflo's ever run in the same train together? I suspect not as I have not found a single photo of such even if they were used in the same areas.

Without checking I believe that they both had incompatible braking systems.

• RMweb Gold

Did the PCAs and Cemflo's ever run in the same train together? I suspect not as I have not found a single photo of such even if they were used in the same areas.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that. As built Cemflo's must have been vacuum braked to be steam hauled. The PCAs would have been air braked.

I think the TOPS classification gives the game away, PCA & PCV.

Mike.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that. As built Cemflo's must have been vacuum braked to be steam hauled. The PCAs would have been air braked.

The very first batches of PCA's built, were air braked vacuum piped, so could run with Cemflo's, although they couldn't be the last 3 vehicles in the train. Blue Circle had a batch of Depressed Center PCA's built to Dia  PC006B,  Nos  9066-75, in 1969. Other were built as early as 1966. The link below is to one of David Fords photos on his Flickr site, (and I'm sure it has also appeared on his Dave F's topic on this site), shows thee PCA's, possibly from the batch above, in the middle of the train. They are very noticable as they tower over the Cemflo's, so running them together did happen. For complete fullness of info, they would have appeared a PCB's if the vacuum pipe lasted until TOPS came in.

https://flic.kr/p/QheK1V

Paul J.

• Like 1

The very first batches of PCA's built, were air braked vacuum piped, so could run with Cemflo's, although they couldn't be the last 3 vehicles in the train. Blue Circle had a batch of Depressed Center PCA's built to Dia  PC006B,  Nos  9066-75, in 1969. Other were built as early as 1966. The link below is to one of David Fords photos on his Flickr site, (and I'm sure it has also appeared on his Dave F's topic on this site), shows thee PCA's, possibly from the batch above, in the middle of the train. They are very noticable as they tower over the Cemflo's, so running them together did happen. For complete fullness of info, they would have appeared a PCB's if the vacuum pipe lasted until TOPS came in.

https://flic.kr/p/QheK1V

Paul J.

These are the PCBs - but note all my photos are post the rebuilding of the suspension with Bruninghaus springs. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/apcmdepressedpcb. There were parallel barrel PCBs as well https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cementpcb

Paul

I had no idea that these depressed centre PCB's were built so early. What was the original livery and what routes would they have been used on?

Sorry, off topic a bit.

Edited by RBAGE

I had no idea that these depressed centre PCB's were built so early. What was the original livery and what routes would they have been used on?

Sorry, off topic a bit.

The prototype built for APCM was painted all over "Blue Circle" yellow much like the original APCM presflo's. Somewhere, I have an article on it's construction.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

The prototype built for APCM was painted all over "Blue Circle" yellow much like the original APCM presflo's. Somewhere, I have an article on it's construction.

P

Sounds awful. When did they acquire something a little less .... err ... yellow? 

First photo I,ve found of a Cemflo mixed with presflo. Note the Clayton too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/27878946077/in/photolist-j7z2fo-qZAE1o-aWNAeX-dwz699-26TuDhJ-25gqHqm-JtyTo6-Jm8z4T-JmaCu6-26UF7ym-26CQm9g-a6mgf6-fFX8Qe-5TCwAR-25ffLsj-KS9sjm-26BqCGR-25ebAUA-2ae8hF2-DkZx8o-CqVaJK-2bxny3C-2ae8irR-284ypCo-JatsTP-2bxnxyG-Rt2Cho-28mnHr7

From research, I get the impression that they left south east as quickly as PCAs appeared. Would anyone know if that is correct? Starting to think pretops is more suited for the south east which can then run with green 33s and steam locos.

Edit: some sources suggest until 1975 for the south east.

Edited by JSpencer