• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

What do you get if you cross a Slaters fire bucket kit, a 3D printed coat and a decapitated Bachmann driver?

Was I the only one expecting a model of Lord Buckethead?

Very nice Chris, but it's only a matter of time before a kitchen sink appears.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Nile said:

Was I the only one expecting a model of Lord Buckethead?

:rofl:

14 minutes ago, Nile said:

Very nice Chris, but it's only a matter of time before a kitchen sink appears.

Thanks Neil

I’ve gone a little overboard as usual although I admit that I quite like @Stubby47’s suggestion of giving Simon a pet cat.....he’d fit nicely sat on the chair

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Brilliant - but we're going to need a bigger signal box !  

I don't know about you chaps, but I have a distinct sense of deja vu here.

Gopher is right - we're going to need a bigger signal box!

If someone now posts a picture of one of their friends doing her Marleine Dietrich impression we're all stuck in a lockdown time loop.

Perhaps an outside tap would be more suitable?

• RMweb Gold

Surely the porter can bring Simon a flagon of cold water each morning ?  Old tea remains would be heaved out of the mug behind the 'box - I doubt it ever got washed out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Surely the porter can bring Simon a flagon of cold water each morning ?  Old tea remains would be heaved out of the mug behind the 'box - I doubt it ever got washed out.

I did think a outside tap or standpipe was a bit OTT even for me! :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I would imagine he would be a 'Porter Signalmen' anyway and he would use the 'facilities' in the station building, I can't imagine it would be the busiest of stations*.

* I know, most model BLTs would put New Street or York to shame...

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

I would imagine he would be a 'Porter Signalmen' anyway and he would use the 'facilities' in the station building, I can't imagine it would be the busiest of stations*.

* I know, most model BLTs would put New Street or York to shame...

As previously mentioned Simon is the station masters son so he can use the facilities in the station masters house if he wants too, although he doesn’t because he doesn’t want the rest of the crew to get resentful 

I do like a BLT 

C67C9B57-E32E-4F75-8759-57D0B4106265.jpeg.3f72fdc35f0161b79dcb6c2156d22556.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Been messing about with my Panniers today, adding coal and fire irons although I appear to have miss placed one of the fire iron kits “typical”

6B3AAEF0-A8FC-409A-A754-57A70BDDBBA7.jpeg.904a5f85fd2827b9eea372410130d132.jpeg

I’ve ordered some brass plates for ‘8709’ hopefully they’ll be big enough to cover the decals

46C0F43F-CC37-4F8A-9B58-C0D3E54D9A93.jpeg.3e235c2c2fc70c9ba98b0c214cafc11c.jpeg

I do like panniers, don’t ask me why because I don’t know....I just do

I was tempted to get a Heljan 1366 but I don’t know if I should, the last Heljan loco I bought was crape!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

If you can close your eyes to splasher gate,  Kernow are doing their 1361 saddle tanks for 69.99......

Just saying.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My 1366 will run well for about 3 minutes, until an axle binds.   Sadly, I don't have access to any layout or test track at the moment.   I can't work the trial-and-error needed to get the keeper plate right.   Whoever screwed them down at the factory seems to have read the torque specs in ft-lbs. instead of in-lbs.

I will say, every 00 gauge loco I've bought new has been Heljan, though that is more due to subject matter than quality.

• Informative/Useful 1

Maybe Heljan were referring to the official British Rail table of torque settings?

1. Tighten nut/bolt/screw until it squeaks.

2. Add half a turn for luck.

3. Burr over any protruding thread with a 2lb hammer as a locking measure.

The same method was used extensively by British Steel and the National Coal Board.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe Heljan were referring to the official British Rail table of torque settings?

1. Tighten nut/bolt/screw until it squeaks.

2. Add half a turn for luck.

3. Burr over any protruding thread with a 2lb hammer as a locking measure.

The same method was used extensively by British Steel and the National Coal Board.

I thought the coal board had a further step

4. weld

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

LEDs finally arrived today

F14DF01C-367D-43FD-AD47-C6017D0E2C6B.jpeg.8cd270d40a7a18159860507897da9e0a.jpeg

Drilled a hole in the false ceiling (neat and tidy)

87BDFFC6-0D75-4D69-B0D2-858A60DAA29D.jpeg.4548456269e9b316621bc2d6f0b3cbae.jpeg

LED glued in place and sealed with black silicone to eliminate light bleeding (not neat or tidy)

7CAF94BD-BBFB-47F6-B748-00B713222F59.jpeg.d6b383846916f2f1188f66fbdb2ed38a.jpeg

Works though

107AA48A-51AE-43CC-B243-AF9EB8011ED1.jpeg.1fd27e840aca53514f355067df255155.jpeg

Will be less bright once powered through a potentiometer

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I thought the coal board had a further step

4. weld

In reality: Tack-one-edge-and-batter-the-metal-until-it-fits

Liberally apply red oxide primer to hide gaps, blow holes, poor penetration and slag inclusions.

(See also MOT standard welded repairs to motor vehicles, except that step 2 is daub on underseal / seam sealer to hide faults and / or the bits you couldn't get to without removing fuel tanks / suspension components)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic Chris even at that brightness, good idea to have the potentiometer to get brightness to level your happy with. I still haven't sorted the lighting out in my signal box I'm messing about with signal wires and fine chain at the moment.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

It's a hell of a job on a simple kit, it's good to start with, but the work you have put in has lifted it to exceptional.

I can see that I am going to have to pull my finger out and sort my buildings. Might have to put a light in the ticket office and the signal box. I like the idea of a greenish glow for gas lighting, but I don't think that the area I am modelling was ever connected to town gas. Might have to go with a yellowish glow for oil lamps.

You're giving me a lot to think about!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not done much modelling this weekend, I started to make the Cambrian 6t crane kit and failed I’ve not been in the right frame of mind and that’s when I make mistakes....I’m sure I can make it right

However today I have finally glued the false ceiling in the signal box and sealed all round with black silicone to prevent light bleeding through the gap when the roof is in place

9CF908B2-0470-49D7-8127-6C4FD88F651C.jpeg.bf6b9c171bf9515047cd281524c1c663.jpeg

It doesn’t look pretty but it’s functional and hidden once the roof is in place (I need to test it tonight when it goes dark before I’m confident I can attach the roof)

D714BBD5-B4FD-4AF4-AA5E-2EA7937E1578.jpeg.8687be2f79ace7afcb82efd3cf0911ff.jpeg

E5E5EC88-9796-481F-ADBC-22F40B6559C2.jpeg.bdc9972fb42862f540ce48798fb4f20e.jpeg

The only other additions are Simon’s work bag on his desk and his billycan on the instrument shelf

05F28BAF-00B5-48A7-8D40-8DAA542432CB.jpeg.0e3fb38a17e641ea474913a152a81544.jpeg

Once the roof is on I’ll look at guttering and bargeboards.....once my head is back in the game

• Like 12