Manchester Pullman

• RMweb Premium

they look fantastic Darius, well done to you.

It's nice to see a livery not modelled so much (as well as these vehicles of course). The initial pics (no lettering) show how the white lettered livery suffered from being a bit bland - but the blue 'PULLMAN' and the small crests really lift the livery to looking really classy.

I can understand BR wanting the official typeface being used, esp. as the Pullman slab letters were maybe seen as too old-fashioned, but having white bog-standard letters on luxury coaches was never going to look great. I'm not sure having Blue BR lettering would've been much better for conveying the special status of the trains, but at least they would've been readable! Maybe if they'd put 'Inter-City Pullman'?

Anyway, can't wait to see the full rake behind an appropriate AC loco

• RMweb Gold

they look fantastic Darius, well done to you.It's nice to see a livery not modelled so much (as well as these vehicles of course). The initial pics (no lettering) show how the white lettered livery suffered from being a bit bland - but the blue 'PULLMAN' and the small crests really lift the livery to looking really classy.I can understand BR wanting the official typeface being used, esp. as the Pullman slab letters were maybe seen as too old-fashioned, but having white bog-standard letters on luxury coaches was never going to look great. I'm not sure having Blue BR lettering would've been much better for conveying the special status of the trains, but at least they would've been readable! Maybe if they'd put 'Inter-City Pullman'?Anyway, can't wait to see the full rake behind an appropriate AC loco

Thanks Keefer - I have decals for both the original and later liveries but agree that the original with its crests is the better one. Perhaps in a few years I might build the later liveried set.

Cheers

Darius

That looks like some great modelling, I keep looking at the Manchester pullman but, as I'm interested in South Wales railways I keep resisting

Go on! An eth fitted Class 50 doing an expensive excursion running under Rule 1, sorted!

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Go on! An eth fitted Class 50 doing an expensive excursion running under Rule 1, sorted!

Tim T

The layout that a friend and I are building doesn’t feature any overhead catenary so Rule 1 will definitely be applied :)

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2018 at 08:21, 47164 said:

Hi Darius, what was your trick in producing the vertical guide lines on the glazing for the blinds ?

(Coaches look surperb).

Hi,

I used plenty of masking tape applied to an old clear acetate report cover to create thin lines at the correct centres. This was sprayed with Halfords “Nissan Silver” and left to dry.

959B722F-3D80-4F56-B2A9-D70D22955F35.jpeg.107464213c9281ce65ff4e73307f8448.jpeg

Strips of the required width are cut off to glaze each coach. The blinds are masked and brush painted on the strips prior to glazing.

The toilet window glazing is formed from similar sheets sprayed with white primer.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2

In the mark 2 book, the design that launched intercity, it states that the manchester pulman coaches were not able to be heated by a diesel loco as the ETH was designed for use with the 800-1000v ETH from a electric loco. At the end of 74 they started refurbishment wich included the replacement of the venetian blinds with curtains. The fitting of air brakes and the modification to the ETH did not happen until 87, when it changed to the "lakeland pulman" charter set.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just come across this thread again. :) Can I ask how many coaches there are in the Manchester Pullman set and what they are?

There were eight coaches in the Manchester Pullman: four parlour cars; two kitchen cars and two brake coaches.

Need to get back on this and complete the remaining three coaches.

Cheers

Darius

In the mark 2 book, the design that launched intercity, it states that the manchester pulman coaches were not able to be heated by a diesel loco as the ETH was designed for use with the 800-1000v ETH from a electric loco. At the end of 74 they started refurbishment wich included the replacement of the venetian blinds with curtains. The fitting of air brakes and the modification to the ETH did not happen until 87, when it changed to the "lakeland pulman" charter set.

Quite right, the ETH was only comparable with AL1-6 originally as the ETH was AC as opposed to DC from diesels.

• 9 months later...

Dear Darius,

I wondered if you would consider building an O gauge version of one of these Pullman carriages or, alternatively selling/building one of the 00 gauges. If neither, do you know of anyone else who could/has carried out such a build.

Kind regards

Anand

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jf2682 said:

Darius/Michael Edge,

This is a very interesting thread, and it looks as though the etches are an excellent basis for conversion of the Airfix Mk 2Ds to the Pullmans.   I have a few questions:  What adhesive do you use to attach the etches to the plastic?  Do the etches come with the hinge detail etched on, or are they a separate attachment.  Finally , where did you source the roof vents?

Thanks in advance.

John

Hi John,

i used superglue to attach the etches to the coach sides.  The hinges were added (by me) using microstrip and I scratch built the Kitchen Car roof vents from plasticard.

Cheers

Darius

• Craftsmanship/clever 1