5043 'Earl of Mount Edgecumbe' on the mainline...

As I type this no doubt the venerable 5043 is blasting away somewhere between Paddington and Bristol, anyway here are some shots from it's run from Tyseley up to London yesterday and the Moonraker Tour from a couple of weekends ago...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4528152858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4528143194/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4527501217/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4492330407/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4492958296/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4492946340/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4485891497/

Actually, the last one is just inside Northants!

Cheers, Nidge wink.gif

Here are a couple of the returning Bristolian, approaching Westerleigh Junction bang on time in glorious sunshine - splendid!

Pictures aren't the best quality ( I just kept my finger on the trigger!), but hope you like smile.gif

post-148-127152851157.jpg

post-148-127152852199.jpg

post-148-12715285338.jpg

doubt it rob - they were offering working cheap (£50) tickets in the mess t'other afternoon...

There can't be many seats on the train either, once the two support coaches are taken into account. Is the GUV used for water, and what is it's capacity...?

Guest Belgian

Is that a Hornby model? They've gone and done the livery all wrong again - 5043 got its double chimney in October 1958, by which time the tender crests were the later BR ones!!!!!!!

JE

Cheers chaps.... Jules, your three shots are rather splendid.... in my minds eye, they're already in black and white!

This was a one way trip to get the loco down to London for The Bristolian, so that might be why it wasn't a sell out. Not sure about the capacity of the converted GUV but it looks great!

Nidge wink.gif

Cheers chaps.... Jules, your three shots are rather splendid.... in my minds eye, they're already in black and white!

This was a one way trip to get the loco down to London for The Bristolian, so that might be why it wasn't a sell out. Not sure about the capacity of the converted GUV but it looks great!

Nidge wink.gif

I'm probably going to half answer my own question here, but if the GUV has a dozen or so IBC cubes full of water to load it to it's 14 ton capacity, how far will the extra 2600 gallons take it...?

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably going to half answer my own question here, but if the GUV has a dozen or so IBC cubes full of water to load it to it's 14 ton capacity, how far will the extra 2600 gallons take it...?

About 50-60 miles on average (of all sorts of averages) I would think, on a good day with a double-chimney 'Castle' that's not heavily loaded it should do a bit more.... and so on.

Loving some of that black and white stuff Nidge, really atmospheric, particularly the Western at Leamington

Hope you don't mind me sticking a couple of shots of the Earl on here from yesterday. I wonder if we had enough members photting it to create a timeline of the journey laugh.gif

post-6899-127158706277_thumb.jpg

Here is 5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe speeding west past Christian Malford near Chippenham. The clock could easily be rolled back 40-odd years

post-6899-127158707818_thumb.jpg

Running light engine to support the tour, 47580 looked rather tidy in nice clean Stratford appearance

post-6899-127158709602_thumb.jpg

The returning Bristolian tour is passing Rodbourne on the Badminton line here, a couple of miles east of Jules' shots at Westerleigh

I've got to say I do think the converted GUV is a good idea, seems less in yer face than a double tender or a container wagon. Just a pity it wasn't chocolate and cream really.

cheers

jo

Hi all

The GUV has two Massive water tanks in each end of the Carriage above the bogies as for capiacity i remember one of the chaps from Tyseley who was working on the GUV saying it needed to be twice the Reserve needed for a Loco as the loco only had enough water to reach Bath without there being any problems any problems then you'd have been screwed west of Didcot.

As for the Livery of the GUV it had to be Maroon as it wouldnt be authentic in Choco/Cream as they never carried that livery and across the Board at Tyseley Maroon was carried.

I personally think it should have been give W 96175 Numbers instead of horrid WCRC lettering but hey.

Thanks

Mark

Great pictures Gents - my son and I were on the Up Bristolian on Saturday and I've never been on a steam trip to match it - apart from a brief signal check at Bristol Parkway, it was spine-tinglingly exciting as 5043 stormed along under greens all the way to Paddington. I began to realise that something special was taking place when we swooped round the curve into Wootton Bassett a full 10 minutes early. We were gaining time all the way and fully expected to be looped at Challow or sent down the relief from Moreton Cutting. Instead, we were given the Up main all the way - a late-running HST was even diverted onto the relief as it left Reading so that we could have a clear run through the middle road, and we then played tag with it between Sonning Cutting and Slough when we finally roared ahead (with plenty of triumphant whistling :D ). We arrived 45 minutes early at Paddington in less than 110 minutes for the 118 miles. Simply the most perfect example of operating excellence and cooperation between Network Rail, FGW, West Coast Rail, Vintage Trains and the engineering magicians at Tyseley who turned 5043 from a rusting hulk into a gem of a machine. Thanks for capturing it on film so beautifully!

David

Fantastic photos all round chaps, they really are a bit special!!! We'd planned to go and see The Bristolian legs on Saturday but didn't make it, so these photos have made up for it big time, thanks all again for sharing wink.gif

Looking forward to the double header from Tyseley coming up soon...!

Nidge

I was on a tour from Skegness to Oxford last sat running via Bermingham, Swindon and Didcot.

We passed the Bristolian on the Swindon to Didcot leg. Didn't half take me by suprise dispite the fact I knew it was coming the other way.laugh.gif

One second it was there next it was not. At least now I know what it looked like. biggrin.gif

I remember seeing this loco climb Shap, i was thinking it would be one of those that crawl up to summit & would be a bit out of place how wrong was i unsure.gif

I'll never forget seeing that loco power up Shap & it had a great sound too especially when it beat throught Crooklands.

Simon.

Archived