RMweb

Hornby 2019 Modern Range........

dogbox321

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to one of the Hornby reps at the Peterborough show today and asked about possible 2019 releases. He had to admit that he didn’t know what was going to be announced as only Simon and a few others did but said he’d been working on a few ideas and gave a wink lol. I did ask him about redoing the VTEC/LNER Mk III HST trailer cars and told him that my local model shop (and probably a few others) had several HST power cars which were keeping his shelf’s warm as he had nothing to go with them! As far as the shop owner is concerned it’s dead money and unlikely to recoup what he’s paid.

When I told the Hornby rep, his eyes widened and said that it’s a problem he wasn’t aware of and will make a note of it by writing a customer suggestion card to give to Simon. He said hopefully there will be a rerelease of VTEC and other trailers.

Naturally, but the Hornby Class 60 has been around for at least 10 years and still they haven't even produced many of the original triple-grey liveries (TG Construction, TG Metals), not to mention it took a decade to see a coal sector liveried variant - which surely has to be one of the most desired of the early liveries - and even then they didn't get the colours right!   :banghead:

DB Schenker livery has been on 60s for at least 5 years and still no standard DBS liveried example.  Bachmann on the other hand are generally pretty fast with new liveries - I think a Freightliner Powerhaul 66 was announced almost at the same time the prototype appeared, and we didn't have to wait long for DB liveried 66s, 37s etc.  I could understand a timescale of maybe one year, but 5 or 10 years really is stretching things a bit.  Then on the other hand Hornby seem to churn out multiple large logo 50s one after the other without even thinking about it.  It just seems that their policy with regard to liveries is quite bizarre on occasion.

Metals 60, yes please!!!

800s are London-centric (i.e south) , 195s are for the impoverished north.

Can't remember when Hornby last did something that is only used "North of Watford"........................

:scratchhead:

On a point of pedantry - Q6 and J36 as two water boiling devices for a start.

Not an Eastern fan but I doubt either made it south of Stevenage or even Peterborough. 

• RMweb Premium

On a point of pedantry - Q6 and J36 as two water boiling devices for a start.

Not an Eastern fan but I doubt either made it south of Stevenage or even Peterborough. 

And a pedantry return - this is a thread for modern models

Now there’s a familiar plaint.....

Well normally slight mismatches in colour don't bother me. But the Caledonian Sleeper TOC remains to be one of my favourite TOCs till date, sadly Hornsby's attempt at the Caledonian Class 67 was horribly let down by such an odd choice of colour.

It seems to me that Hornby used a colour closer resembling the older Mk.3 colour scheme when operated by EWS if I recall correctly

Hornby Class 60 in Construction livery. It would be about time!

I used to photograph them leaving Peak Forest hauling long & heavy trains to a variety of regional and national destinations. And then they came back again!

Surely many layouts could justify one, or several. (Wagons already provided by the blue team.)

I despair of Hornby having a strategy.

Living in pale hope with no expectation. January, but which year?

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

May have missed it somewhere amongst the pages of this thread but surely a red DB Schenker branded class 60. Preferably an unnamed one would be nice. 

About a dozen times........

Instant win for the red box company.

About a dozen times........

Instant win for the red box company.

I’d have thought it is a no brainer... I’d happily put name name down for 2 or 3 (if funds could stretch) to renumber. Oh well, all we can do is hope and pray and see what 2019 brings.

As many have said already, I think Hornby are missing out by not releasing more livery variants of the 56 and 60 in particular. Re-runs of the Loadhaul and Mainline Blue would certainly go down well and might mean that they stop going for stupid prices on a well known auction site.

Like all manufacturers there is a lot that can be done with existing tools/research but probably won't!

Hornby have two versions of the 21 ton hopper will not progress with it as in my view the consider that they have a 21tcoal hopper that will do!

With the LNER rivetted body hopper suitable to be used for the 1970's rebodies and the same for the Tope chassis with a bit of modification could be used for the original bodied BR and rebodied one!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

I am thinking if there is more to be had from the Hornby 08,  variations such as SR Boxpok wheelset or GWR with cast number plates,  I would like to have a jackshaft LMS shunter but that6 would be an all new model

Hi Pandora

The SR 350 (class 12) has so many features are not the same as an 08 to make it a new model. Cab, higher sides and shallower roof profile, different engine room doors, different battery boxes, different light conduit run for the six lights come to mind. The LMS 350 (class 11) and the GWR 350 share many of the same features as the class 12 apart from the wheels which are 4ft 1 1/2 ins diameter not 4 ft 6 ins. The smaller wheels mean the loco is lower, which means the buffers are set higher on the buffer beam, along with the same cab as the SR version, battery boxes, engine room doors and if fitted with lights the conduit run. I am still amazed at the LMS and GWR 350s not being made it is the only class of over 100 not modelled. On  the rear cover of the LMS profile book on the LMS 350s there is aside on photo of a class 11 and 08 and the differences stand out.

As for a jackshaft drive 350

post-16423-0-43197300-1545579950_thumb.jpg

I would like a second one.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a few shots and videos of the Maunsell Q class on the Bluebell in some of Hornby's recent email newsletters - if it was a clue then it wasn't very subtle!

A 4 Cor EMU would be great but the cost of 4 car units is getting somewhat prohibitive these days.

A pre TOPs  BR blue version of the Hornby 31 is long long  overdue.

• Like 1