Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Agreed, but looking at Hornby and Bachmann's current offerings I suspect we'll see more and more "same" layouts populated with RTR buildings in the future, starting with a load of L&B clones, so well done those who didn't use them on this programme. Just a shame that we didn't see how they were made, though many of Missenden's looked very like Metcalf kits? Showing the construction would have been nice but perhaps not riveting viewing for the masses! ;)

One thing that surprised me about the show was the lack of obvious product placement - presumably the show is sponsored by the manufacturers but I didn't really notice their names being mentioned. 

Whereas the general public probably know that Hornby make model railways (although some may just associate them with train-sets rather than somewhat better individual items), I don't know outside of those in the hobby itself whether Peco, Bachmann, etc. would be generally recognised names.

Agreed, but looking at Hornby and Bachmann's current offerings I suspect we'll see more and more "same" layouts populated with RTR buildings in the future, starting with a load of L&B clones, so well done those who didn't use them on this programme. Just a shame that we didn't see how they were made, though many of Missenden's looked very like Metcalf kits? Showing the construction would have been nice but perhaps not riveting viewing for the masses! ;)

'Twas ever thus. Well, at least since Bilteezi, and subsequently Superquick and Airfix dominated the 00 the urban landscape.I deffy anyone to find a 00 layout in RM between about 1960 and 1980 that doesn't feature at least one ;).

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I may have missed a post or two. When I was setting our Planner to record the series, I noticed that it says "S1. Ep.1". That makes me think that there will be another series.

I don't think that means much: the first series of just about everything seems to get tagged as "S1" these days, whether or not there are more to come.  The Bodyguard episodes on iPlayer are showing as "Series 1: Episode n" but no second series has been commissioned (yet).

I suppose it's justifiable in the sense that, even if there is only ever one series, the series that was made is the first (as well as the last).

• RMweb Gold

20 pages, 485 comments, just on one program.  At this rate the whole series will be longer than Early Risers !

New thread needed for tonight's show ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Our three and four-year old grandchildren love it. They have also seen the trailers and a request flooded in for a dinosaur to visit Cwm Bach. Since Peppa Pig's younger brother George has a toy dinosaur I think it can be arranged, but a Welsh dragon may be more appropriate, especially as there is a good stock of rations at the loco depot and colliery. Obviously, the visit will have to take place on a day when no scary curmudgeons are around.  Stay tuned.

CK

post-13142-0-72633300-1539358989_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-72633300-1539358989_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• Moderators

Callum Willcox from 'The Railway Video Division' | GMRC Ch5 Ep.2

Meet Callum Willcox from 'The Railway Video Division' of Channel 5's Great Model Railway Challenge. Here, he shares the story of how he and a group of YouTube friends put together a team for the show. See him tonight on Channel 5 at 8pm.

• Like 1

Good luck to all participants in tonight's programme. Not with the challenge or the outcome as it's too late for that of course but for reading outbursts (here/facebook/youtube etc) from those who thoroughly disapprove of programmes not designed to occupy the fundamentalists. ;)

An early warning to those posting after tonight's show that if unwarranted comments are made I'll go beyond just deleting the post concerned.

• Like 4

Good luck to all participants in tonight's programme. Not with the challenge or the outcome as it's too late for that of course but for reading outbursts (here/facebook/youtube etc) from those who thoroughly disapprove of programmes not designed to occupy the fundamentalists. ;)

An early warning to those posting after tonight's show that if unwarranted comments are made I'll go beyond just deleting the post concerned.

Can we have a definition of unwarranted.

If it is abusive or personal then that's unwarranted.

Refer to post 1.

let's keep the judgemental negativity to a minimum in this topic.
  • Like 2

Refer to post 1.

Post 1 only refers to pre judging which I actually agree with is wrong. But to delete a comment if it gives negative opinion is wrong. But but to insult, abuse, or make defamatory comments is wrong.

What one person may define as unwarranted may be viewed by another as ok. It is this that should be clarified

Post 1 only refers to pre judging which I actually agree with is wrong. But to delete a comment if it gives negative opinion is wrong. But but to insult, abuse, or make defamatory comments is wrong.

What one person may define as unwarranted may be viewed by another as ok. It is this that should be clarified

Why am I still having to explain this? I want the topic to be useful and interesting (which it became after some of the unnecessary stuff was taken away - which certainly did include insults).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

I can also see moderated comments and trust me, both of your definitions applied to most of them! Someone said this is much like chatting in a pub - it is, but some people want to run up to those discussing things, scream a comment (or write IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!!) and run off. They don't even offer to buy their round...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weeks episode. I'm past the hiding behind the sofa in case we are all shown up as weirdos. I'm only sorry that there won't be dinosaurs this week. I think all layouts need dinosaurs. 

• Like 2

Why am I still having to explain this? I want the topic to be useful and interesting (which it became after some of the unnecessary stuff was taken away - which certainly did include insults).

Trouble is any viewer is entitled to rank what they see on some scale, say 1 to 5. I agree that there are RMweb users whose default is negative: 'cancel my subscription'; 'cancel my preorder'; never buy from 'X' again'; 'anything that X does is rubbish'. And there are some who clearly have some sort of bias that colours what they post. Perhaps too many. But you need to take care to distinguish those from others who are accurately identifying scope for improvement.

I think that the point you are trying to highlight is the need for constructive feedback. If so I agree with you. But I fear that a heavy handed approach may not be the best way to achieve this.