Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Back to the show: It was interesting to see what the teams came up with in 3 days.

It can't be easy to have such a tight deadline. I find it rewarding & liberating to have freedom to decide I don't like something I've built then spend the next x number of days building something better to replace it.

The teams did not have this opportunity so some aspects of their work suffered as a result. I found it interesting to see this reflected in their work.

I am sure they would have liked a lot more time building.

As inferred earlier, a layout built 'normally' would not make very good viewing. It would take a very long time to film, causing it to be costly & also be confusing because items would disappear without the programme having a chance to explain why.

I felt the programme kept away from portraying modellers as eccentrics. It could easily have gone down that path so I am glad it didn't.

I am wondering if it will affect the attendance at this weekend's Great Electric Train Show?

• Like 1

No I just live in Norfolk it seems in somewhat of a time warp...

I think you'll find it's the same as anywhere else in the country... Avoid certain areas and boozers and trains, football stadiums, etc., etc, etc., and you'll not hear the word(s)...

Would agree, though, we're going a bit off topic!

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Gold

But is "normal speak" these days, if you are offended by that word I wouldn't go to most places where people gather these days. (I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, just pointing out that it's a very commonly used word these days in all sorts of situations - I agree that it's unnecessary in that article, though)

Just because it has become 'normal speak' (for some people/sections of society), doesn't make it right.

I've used 'industrial language' in my time, as much as the next person. Sometimes there is a context (usually as an expletive in response to a sudden and unexpected set back, perhaps), sometimes not, but I'm not proud of having resorted to such crudeness. I actively try to avoid swearing these days and it's actually not that difficult.

You can understand it's use, therefore, in certain contexts, but certainly not on the part of a published piece of work by a so-called 'journalist'.

Removed content

Words almost fail me.

Not only are you dismissing my legitimate concerns in the most arrogant and disrespectful way possible, but the use of your final 'expression', in that context could also be considered highly offensive by some of us, me included.

Why do you think that others should condone standards of verbal behaviour that are not our own?

I'd have thought better from a fellow modeller.

You should be ashamed of yourself for that attitude.

What it did bring home to me is that it’s actually quite hard to make our hobby exciting and interesting to the public.

It struck me it’s a little like playing squash, fun to do but horrible to watch *

* more adult versions available

As an avid chess player I used to look forward to the BBC Master Game programmes ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_Game

It was really ground breaking TV at the time and in fairness actually turned chess into an interesting spectator sport (no really..it did)....

Channel 4 also covered the Kasparov - Short World Championship match in 1993 with male/female commentator combo (Daniel King & Cathy Forbes) and it worked quite well.

So if chess can be turned into good telly, I'm sure railway modelling should be a doddle...

Rule 1 applies to the layouts on the show. I have two other rules:

Rule 2 - Railway modelling is about fun

Rule 3 - Any model railway is better than no model railway

I think we should all enjoy this programme for what it is viz light entertainment.

CK

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Removed content

...R

Someone recently flounced out of a Facebook group that I'm in citing the use of foul language.

Thing is, if he'd bothered to read the group's rules the C word was right in there.

They're just words. I don't mind. The owner of a model shop that I'm never going to set foot in again managed to be far more offensive the other day using language and ideas that were perfectly acceptable on TV and in print in the seventies.

• RMweb Gold

Not seen this yet,so will draw my own conclusions and make my own judgements.

Except this. I wholeheartedly support and entirely agree with all that CK has posted above.

And don't anyone ever tell me to "get over it".....Accepting poor standards and foul language in all walks of life is a slide down a slippery slope to the pits.Let's hope this forum continues in a civilised manner.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

Just because it has become 'normal speak' (for some people/sections of society), doesn't make it right.

I never said it did, in fact I said i didn't agree with it's use, but in the context on where it was published and the number of times I've heard in everyday situations it didn't surprise me to see it used... Perhaps most of us RM's move in more civilised circles to many people...

• RMweb Premium

One of the oldest members of our club, an ex-railwayman, uses the F word about every third word he says. He just does not seem to realise he is doing it.

Having met Malcolm (Strangers on a Model Train), I was surprised they managed a whole episode with just one bleep.

It is not just the young that use this language.

Except this. I wholeheartedly support and entirely agree with all that CK has posted above.

And don't anyone ever tell me to "get over it"

When you get a little (perhaps a lot) older,

you will find yourself into the realms of everything you do etc., is "Old School".

This seems to be con-current with getting up a few times in the night too.  :jester:

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I'd like have seen some filming of the design and pre-construction phases. Could have been very interesting seeing Missenden's thought process.

The Porthcawl layout was massively ambitious, be nice to see it finished.

The Longest Day one probay suited the format of the show rather well quite simple overall, so achievabke in the timescale, with some bits of 'sparkle' like the Spitfire.

I didn't get the Missenden layout, as they appeared to be mostly just plonking premade buildings on the baseboard, I'm not sure where their time went (did they need dcc, I'm sure it was mentioned) Also thought the Ealing concept was lacking in application other than the 'ship from Whisky Galore' and flying pig, I thought the shuttled goods train was crying out for a Ladykillers cameo with animated falling man.

• RMweb Gold

Well Andy Y I'm sorry but this tv program has seriously upset me  :cry:  and I can see a huge backlash coming from the modelling community   :rtfm:

First the good points :- 

I've watched it twice now, second time round I took off my modellers hat and sat and watched it with my Son and Grand kids. They were well impressed, loved the show and are going to watch the rest of the series.  All three layouts had something for each of them. My Son liked the forced perpective, was really impressed that the houses were Card and asked me to send him a link to Scalescenes so he can maybe look at doing some wth the kids to put on the layout out in the workshop. The grandaughter loved the Tunnels and wants some on the layout (No problem as I was going to do some anyway). The Grandson loved the Army Tanks etc and wants some on the layout (No Problem as I have some Airfix kits part built ready to put into a small diorama).

SWMBO came home from work Yesterday and aparently the show was the main topic of conversation at lunchtime with her work colleagues saying how impressed they were with what they had seen and wishing they could do something for little Johnny, Jimmy, Kasandra, (Insert sprog name here) and why werent there any places they could take them to see some ?  For once SWMBO rather than feeling like someone confessing "My husband is a Modeller"  was quite pleased to be able to say "Actually my husband is building quite an exstensive layout in his workshop for our Grand children" and "Of course we go to quite a few exhibitions (She sits in the car reading) so I'll ask him for a list for you" (I've also sent her a link to RMweb to pass on)

I've spoken to a few other people as well who all seam to have seen it and were favourably impressed and were looking forward to seeing more.  One thing that has been mentioned on here is the lack of advertising by the manufacturers but everyone who I've spoken to when asked, said Hornby as a manufacturer. None mentioned or knew the name Bachmann. so I think that its possible that even without advertising Hornby may pick up sales from people looking to buy 'Train Stuff'

So It appears that the show IS already having a good impact on the hobby and may lead to a few more young modellers  :yes:

Oh sorry I forgot why am I so upset ? and why the backlash ??  well it was a throw away comment by SWMBO as she went off to make cup of tea

" Well maybe as it's taking you so long to build it, I should come and give you a hand, see what jobs need doing, draw up a list  :nono:  Get a plan together  :nono:  :nono:   prioritise the work load  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Don't worry though guys I've got a cunning plan . . . I'm going to get her started on ballasting those three yards of track right at the back, round that curve (That will be hidden under a tunnel anyway)  That should se her off in about ten minutes  :onthequiet:

• Like 10

Oh sorry I forgot why am I so upset ? and why the backlash ??  well it was a throw away comment by SWMBO as she went off to make cup of tea

" Well maybe as it's taking you so long to build it, I should come and give you a hand, see what jobs need doing, draw up a list  :nono:  Get a plan together  :nono:  :nono:   prioritise the work load  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Don't worry though guys I've got a cunning plan . . . I'm going to get her started on ballasting those three yards of track right at the back, round that curve (That will be hidden under a tunnel anyway)  That should se her off in about ten minutes  :onthequiet:

Rust paint the track before ballasting first. Ballasting will then be the final put-off.

But Model World wasn't a prime time general audience programme. It was very specifically an adult education programme made by the BBC's Continuing Education Department (where I made programmes for part of my career some years later and which no longer exists) It was at the "soft" end of adult education programmes, the hard end being things like language courses and adult literacy and numeracy. The aim of model world was to introduce the audience to model railway building and the other branches of modelling that the series looked at and to show them enough detail about the techniques to give them the confidence to try. It was shown later in the evening than prime time and went into more depth about actual techniques than any general programme would for an audience who wanted to learn something from it. It was accompanied by a book as were most such programmes.

Success of Continuing Education programmes was not measured by audience size, though you needed to get an audience before you could serve it, but by whether it enhanced the lives of enough of the people who watched, how useful they found it, book sales or take up of the free sheets that often accompanied them and, for some programmes, referrals to colleges and evening classes. The programmes needed to be engaging and entertaining for the audience but entertainment was not the real objective.  

A prime time series like this is designed to entertain but will probably encourage more people to take up railway modelling than Model World ever could. That's likely to be very satisfying for the producers, we all like to think our programmes  have a positive impact, but it's purpose is to entertain a large audience.

I think we'd be living in a much better country today if there were more quiet, orderly, soberly presented, lightly educational programmes on the TV rather than an overload of falsely dramatized, chaotically presented and dumbed down material catering for the lowest common denominator, i.e. those who cannot manage to take an interest in anything that does not provide instant cheap thrills.

I can only sympathise I'm afraid! A week ago Mrs Y said she'd come and help me organise the workshop better; I locked her out.

• RMweb Premium

I can only sympathise I'm afraid! A week ago Mrs Y said she'd come and help me organise the workshop better; I locked her out.

The day that Mrs NB helps me in the workshop (or model railway) then a place a long way below us has got very cold...…..

Cheers,

Mick

One of the oldest members of our club, an ex-railwayman, uses the F word about every third word he says. He just does not seem to realise he is doing it.

Interesting that this persists as my experience has been that the older generation have desisted from using the language - and our railway club is in a Working mens club and I go to pub rock gigs regularly. But, in 1968 when I became a casual for a delivery warehouse two of the drivers were just as your old member, every third word... Initially I thought it was to put us 'posh' grammar school kids in place but soon became aware that one of them liked us (the other liked no one) but it was his language. As to the suggestions made by the foreman, ex Navy, well best forgotten. Later, working in a mixed environments, the women weren't slow to tell us when we slipped into non appropriate speech. Yes it is regularly used on the street (an in trains) but not to the extent of yesteryear.

Mind, I was suprised one afternoon to hear the c word used in a Radio 4 play!

Paul

As someone who took part in the filming, I can tell all it was hard work and the limited time of the program dosent really show what went on over the 3 days of filming.  Each team captain is miked for the whole 3 days, there are two film crews, and temp film crews around all day. There was a Go pro over each layout and additional photos being taken by production, judges and presenters and 10hours of backstory per team.  What you see in the 45minutes is a fraction of the footage available and would warrant a program to each build easily, but what has been shown is what we signed up for.

It would be great to do a big brother style build for a layout to show the interaction of members, because when we did our prep work, it too was great fun and there was lots wine and beer. We've got lots of photos and video that we may make into a video in the future maybe.

It was hard work but great fun, we had the time available and took part.

Will series two look the same, probably not, as the production company learnt a lot. Would I do it again, yes.

• Like 10

I think we'd be living in a much better country today if there were more quiet, orderly, soberly presented, lightly educational programmes on the TV rather than an overload of falsely dramatized, chaotically presented and dumbed down material catering for the lowest common denominator, i.e. those who cannot manage to take an interest in anything that does not provide instant cheap thrills.

I, and many others here might well agree with you, but we live in the place and the time that we do and unfortunately there's not much we can do about that.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Interesting that this persists as my experience has been that the older generation have desisted from using the language - and our railway club is in a Working mens club and I go to pub rock gigs regularly. But, in 1968 when I became a casual for a delivery warehouse two of the drivers were just as your old member, every third word... Initially I thought it was to put us 'posh' grammar school kids in place but soon became aware that one of them liked us (the other liked no one) but it was his language. As to the suggestions made by the foreman, ex Navy, well best forgotten. Later, working in a mixed environments, the women weren't slow to tell us when we slipped into non appropriate speech. Yes it is regularly used on the street (an in trains) but not to the extent of yesteryear.

Mind, I was suprised one afternoon to hear the c word used in a Radio 4 play!

Paul

I think that's because Radio Four treats it's listeners as adults who would turn it off if offended rather than throw a strop because "the man said a naughty word". Even most of the 1950s comedy they broadcast as repeats would raise a few eyebrows if written today. Some of the stuff on Round The Horne would definitely be off limits now.

Context is everything. I used to write reviews for a music magazine where virtually anything was fair game, yet I wouldn't expect to see the same words or phrases in the Radio Times.

Jason

As someone who took part in the filming, I can tell all it was hard work and the limited time of the program dosent really show what went on over the 3 days of filming.  Each team captain is miked for the whole 3 days, there are two film crews, and temp film crews around all day. There was a Go pro over each layout and additional photos being taken by production, judges and presenters and 10hours of backstory per team.  What you see in the 45minutes is a fraction of the footage available and would warrant a program to each build easily, but what has been shown is what we signed up for.

It would be great to do a big brother style build for a layout to show the interaction of members, because when we did our prep work, it too was great fun and there was lots wine and beer. We've got lots of photos and video that we may make into a video in the future maybe.

It was hard work but great fun, we had the time available and took part.

Will series two look the same, probably not, as the production company learnt a lot. Would I do it again, yes.

Yeap was an experience not to be missed