Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

Guest teacupteacup

Last time I heard it on Radio 4 was on the Today programme - used accidentally instead of the even more offensive H-word.

Hornby? :-)

No I just live in Norfolk it seems in somewhat of a time warp...

I haven't been in a railway mess room in 40 Years,

All the pubs round here I'd call restaurants with beer,

I haven't sat on a train other than preserved, since 2001,

I don't hear generally  swearing in the main shopping street in Norwich, which appropriately is called Gentlemans walk.

and I don't hear any outside any of the 5 schools I pass at very slow speeds at kicking out time

I think we are just more civilised round here..

Actually it was the Kings Arms in Ludham, back in 1985, when I heard my first woman Effing and Jeffing in the bar.  She was clearly in her 60s and none of the locals or the staff were batting an eyelid.  I was extremely shocked as at the time I didn't swear and never heard my late father, who was with me ever use anything so extreme at home, and he was a miner.  In the six years I lived in Norfolk from 1999 I can assure you I heard a lot of industrial strength language in the County especially walking around Great Yarmouth.

Personally I didn't find the article offensive, being a motoring blogger she is probably reflecting the laddish culture she appears to normally write for whereas if she had been writing in a more open forum such language would not be appropriate.  We were also warned by the poster of the link the blog contained strong language.

As someone who took part in the filming, I can tell all it was hard work and the limited time of the program dosent really show what went on over the 3 days of filming.  Each team captain is miked for the whole 3 days, there are two film crews, and temp film crews around all day. There was a Go pro over each layout and additional photos being taken by production, judges and presenters and 10hours of backstory per team.  What you see in the 45minutes is a fraction of the footage available and would warrant a program to each build easily, but what has been shown is what we signed up for.

It would be great to do a big brother style build for a layout to show the interaction of members, because when we did our prep work, it too was great fun and there was lots wine and beer. We've got lots of photos and video that we may make into a video in the future maybe.

It was hard work but great fun, we had the time available and took part.

Will series two look the same, probably not, as the production company learnt a lot. Would I do it again, yes.

Having the cameras rolling all day is nothing more nor less than I would expect. After all, if someone's going to have a disaster like spilling a pot of paint over the layout at the worst possible moment, or accidentally sitting on one of the pre-build structures, it makes much better TV to show it actually happening than just the aftermath.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually it was the Kings Arms in Ludham, back in 1985, when I heard my first woman Effing and Jeffing in the bar.  She was clearly in her 60s and none of the locals or the staff were batting an eyelid.  I was extremely shocked as at the time I didn't swear and never heard my late father, who was with me ever use anything so extreme at home, and he was a miner.  In the six years I lived in Norfolk from 1999 I can assure you I heard a lot of industrial strength language in the County especially walking around Great Yarmouth.

Personally I didn't find the article offensive, being a motoring blogger she is probably reflecting the laddish culture she appears to normally write for whereas if she had been writing in a more open forum such language would not be appropriate.  We were also warned by the poster of the link the blog contained strong language.

Practically the only language you'll hear round GY now is Lithuanian or Polish.. The Kings Arms I pass twice a week, dodging the tourists who walk out the front door and forget it opens straight out onto the road..but haven't been in since about 1982.

One grandfather was a miner then eventually a Ganger and the other an RSM in the Royal Tank Regiment (ex Glasgow shipyards), any swearing around them would have met by a heafty clip round the ear'ole, and the same again from Dad later..

I was sceptical before watching ,but enjoyed most of it

Didn’t like the egos of missenden so captain thought if his head got any bigger he’d start orbiting earth ,but I suppose that makes things more interesting,I wasn’t impressed with there modelling either ,supposedly the “SAS” of modelling ,not on that showing they ain’t

I thought the other groups came off really well, strangers on train deserved to win and was impressed with what they’d done and with the scratch build challenge

I’ll be watching next week just to see how many more cringy moments missendens captain can come up with

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I was sceptical before watching ,but enjoyed most of it

Didn’t like the egos of missenden so captain thought if his head got any bigger he’d start orbiting earth ,but I suppose that makes things more interesting,I wasn’t impressed with there modelling either ,supposedly the “SAS” of modelling ,not on that showing they ain’t

I thought the other groups came off really well, strangers on train deserved to win and was impressed with what they’d done and with the scratch build challenge

I’ll be watching next week just to see how many more cringy moments missendens captain can come up with

Brian

New teams each week until the final.

One time only I expect. As would have been the car into the blazing building had the other team not suffered from a flat battery! The helicopter from the third team definitely was a one time only, including squashed pig!

I didn't realise that we are not aloud to express our opinion on here if it was negative didn't realize rmwebb was a dictatorship my words might be harsh but thats what it looks like from where I am

Obviously you haven't bothered to read the reasons for my comments in the OP. A degree of restraint and control within the topic has made for more informative involvement from participants and others involved with the programme - this is for the benefit of all. Hardly a dictatorship which is an insulting comment to make.

Sometime back someone stated that a benevolent dictatorship was the only form that management of such a site could take to function - otherwise it would be dragged down by people making fatuous uninformed jibes like yours all of the time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So I was perusing the 'OO' section on eBay.....

post-158-0-16081800-1539159127.png

"Only 1 left" I thought they were usually sold in pairs. ,)

Edited to get image to shoe. (show.. get it  :)   ) 

Edited by Colin_McLeod

One time only I expect. As would have been the car into the blazing building had the other team not suffered from a flat battery! The helicopter from the third team definitely was a one time only, including squashed pig!

As the Spitfire's 'track' had a 'fiddle yard' at each end, presumably they could lift it off and put it back on at the other end, though the towing string would need rethreading.

I was expecting them to put the 'track' on a slope rather than level, so that the Spitfire could glide down it.

• Like 1

New teams each week until the final.

So is it winner of each week goes through to final then ?

Brian

Edited by Bri.s

So far I've watched about half the episode on YouTube and will be continuing when I've got a spare few minds. I'm quite enjoying it and would make the following comments.

I agree that a few basic explanations would be useful for the broader audience, but I can also see that timing is too tight to fit them in.

Some of the humour is a bit forced. Not offensive, just not very funny or spontaneous.

Editing has clearly been done to cast the Missendon captain in the "pride going before a fall" role. Frankly, even with the selective editing, I didn't find his comments all that outrageous and, in proper context, I don't think they'd constitute more than mild overconfidence. Note that the "SAS of modelling" comment came from the presenter, not the team, and received only (I thought) rather lukewarm agreement. As for the Great Prebuild Controversy, I'll leave that for others.

Something peripheral that the show has highlighted is the difficulty of stocking even a small coherent layout in one go given the current batch manufacturing approach.

As to the quality of the layouts, time constraints have obviously taken a toll. However, half an hour trawling YouTube and the like suggests to me that Peco or Hornby track, Metcalfe buildings and an eclectic mix of r-t-r stock, arranged more or less pleasingly, is pretty much where most of the grass roots of the hobby is at. So I'd say the show is rather more representative of the typical than some who worship at the altar of MRJ might care to admit.

Generally, though, pretty good mass market entertainment and, IMHO, good for the hobby overall.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 3