Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

I just found the list of heat themes online elsewhere, so I can repeat them here:

Heat 1 - Classic Movies

Heat 2 - British TV

Heat 3 - Globetrotting

Heat 4 - Fire and Ice

Heat 5 - Water World

(this is transmission order, not filming order)

Some interesting themes there!  Fire and Ice brings "Snowdrift at Bleath Gill" to mind, with a snowbound Standard 2MT on one line with its goods train and a couple of 4Fs trundling around with snowploughs on another.  Sound effects might include choice snippets of Derek Guylers commentary.....  And a cup of artificial snow dumped on the running line for the judging!  :jester:

• Like 3

Some interesting themes there!  Fire and Ice brings "Snowdrift at Bleath Gill" to mind, with a snowbound Standard 2MT on one line with its goods train and a couple of 4Fs trundling around with snowploughs on another.  Sound effects might include choice snippets of Derek Guylers commentary.....  And a cup of artificial snow dumped on the running line for the judging!  :jester:

Ice could be a model of the crossovers at Lewisham with a class 376 frozen to the third rail. Animation would be the doors opening and people jumping out onto the tracks after being abandoned for 2+ hours. (or is that too realistic)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting themes there!  Fire and Ice brings "Snowdrift at Bleath Gill" to mind ...

Well, I guess it's either that or "Game of Thrones" (wasn't that something along the lines of "A Song of Ice and Fire"?).

On second thoughts, probably better not go there - the "Hall of Faces" seems rather scary ... .

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I guess it's either that or "Game of Thrones" (wasn't that something along the lines of "A Song of Ice and Fire"?).

On second thoughts, probably better not go there - the "Hall of Faces" seems rather scary ... .

Hi Huw,

Yes - there was A Song of Ice and Fire....

But we ignored it and did our own thing(s)

So, from that you may surmise that I was involved in the heat that features this theme.

Correct.

We were the first to be filmed and the learning curve was quite steep for the film crews.

I won't say more - just have to get you to watch and then comment!

Roll on week 4.....................................

• Like 1

We were given the TV programme theme, we came up with two ideas amongst us and proposed them to the team, the team voted, we worked up a detailed proposal (quite a lot of work especially for the instigator) on the agreed programme, and then KBG said we could not do it because no one will remember the programme. They were OK with our second choice of Eastenders based which was more current which we went with but we had lost a lot of time working up and researching the initial idea and unfortunately the stress took one of our team as a casulty.

We did protest a lot so I think that later teams might have had an easier time of getting their proposals accepted. In the beginning there was a big lack of appreciation of how much work goes in to the research and planning just to get a workable idea. KBG learned a lot from this and did take a lot on board from the competing teams which irritatingly resulted in the rulebook being reissued on an almost daily basis.

I have started a layout thread with some pictures showing some of the detail that was not shown on the programme:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138423-walford-towers/?p=3332156

We were given the TV programme theme, we came up with two ideas amongst us and proposed them to the team, the team voted, we worked up a detailed proposal (quite a lot of work especially for the instigator) on the agreed programme, and then KBG said we could not do it because no one will remember the programme. They were OK with our second choice of Eastenders based which was more current which we went with but we had lost a lot of time working up and researching the initial idea and unfortunately the stress took one of our team as a casulty.

We did protest a lot so I think that later teams might have had an easier time of getting their proposals accepted. In the beginning there was a big lack of appreciation of how much work goes in to the research and planning just to get a workable idea. KBG learned a lot from this and did take a lot on board from the competing teams which irritatingly resulted in the rulebook being reissued on an almost daily basis.

I have started a layout thread with some pictures showing some of the detail that was not shown on the programme:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138423-walford-towers/?p=3332156

Would be interesting to know what your first choice was, we briefly considered Midsomer Murders as an option! Doctor Who was also one we thought about but Team Sci-fi had already picked it. That said, Blackadder was our first choice anyway! 

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting your thread is, too.

As for the production company, I strongly suspect that they'd be likely to make a number of changes to any future series, based on experience gained from the series that's currently being shown on Channel 5.

Huw.

Would be interesting to know what your first choice was, we briefly considered Midsomer Murders as an option! Doctor Who was also one we thought about but Team Sci-fi had already picked it. That said, Blackadder was our first choice anyway! 

I would like to keep that one under our hat since we have done a lot of work researching it and It will be handy if we get a chance to use it at some point. All I will say is it was a 1980s comedy.

• Like 3

Was a shame Walford did t work better.

Best bit was the blokes face when one of the presenters called it a “ train set “

I best not mention that in my house we've taken to calling the program "the Great British train-set off"...

(I think getting too upset about that kind of thing doesn't reflect that well on the hobby and we should just embrace it. I don't know what was behind that particular scene - maybe the producers wanted to make that point).

• Like 2

I would like to keep that one under our hat since we have done a lot of work researching it and It will be handy if we get a chance to use it at some point. All I will say is it was a 1980s comedy.

Darn, now you've really got me intrigued indeed!

• RMweb Gold

I best not mention that in my house we've taken to calling the program "the Great British train-set off"...

(I think getting too upset about that kind of thing doesn't reflect that well on the hobby and we should just embrace it. I don't know what was behind that particular scene - maybe the producers wanted to make that point).

Indeed, I cringed too (although silently agreed with every word!). Its not the producers at KBG that will show the hobby in a poor light - its us. 

I'd bet on Only Fools though Trotter's Reliant has appeared on numerous layouts. (But then so has the Tardis) with Allo Allo as a possible runner. Thank goodness Some Mothers was a 1970s series.

Wasn't there a sitcom based in a country railway station starring many of the same actors that were in Hi-Di-Hi? Shot I think on the Severn Valley.

Hi

Yes certainly....location was my dear old volunteering spot...Arley...

Regards always

Bob