Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

This programme could do with catching the banter between team members to give it a bit more life.

And indeed the inter-team banter, I know in our heat people were borrowing tools, helping each other out and generally mucking in if they had time to help. This could never be reflected in a 'competition' style program sadly. However, I assure you it went on.

• Like 9

False jeopardy crops up in most TV stuff.

Anyone seen that “ Alaska railroad “. Every week something blocks the line, and every week, just in time they clear it...probably because a single train going across Alaska is dull as ditch water.

Anyway when I prise the remote off mein fuhrer I’ll be watching the recordings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm less than impressed by the image of the hobby portrayed or frankly how the protagonists have conveyed themselves.

C6T.

Perhaps you could use the channel changing button or stop looking in the mirror as you type.,, delete option as appropriate...

• Like 1

I'm less than impressed by the image of the hobby portrayed or frankly how the protagonists have conveyed themselves.

C6T.

Really? The guys came across as entertaining characters, who have a passion for the hobby. The filming requirements of the show meant it was always going to be heavily biased with retired persons. The production co needed you to spare 9 days in May for filming, and that was a no go for anyone in full time employment, with young kids etc if you were looking to portray a different image of the hobby? It was nice to see a couple of ladies in one of the teams to show it is not a totally male dominated hobby. Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whose idea it was to have an ad in one of the commercial breaks featuring a website "www.oddballs.com"?

Entertaining eccentricity though.

Some of the "in progress" shots of the sink plunger were,  erm,  disturbing and anyway, who has three plungers under their sink?

Edited by 2mmMark

I came in at the point where the Terrier baulked at the swing bridge during the judging.  Looks like I'll have to watch the recording later this weekend.  At least I saw who won, so all the "jeopardy" stuff will be meaningless!  :jester:

On the other hand, I see the following Railway Walk is along the route of the Somerset Central from Burnham on Sea.  I'll let the Electric Monk keep tabs on it...

• Like 1

I wonder whose idea it was to have an ad in one of the commercial breaks featuring a website "www.oddballs.com"?

Entertaining eccentricity though.

Some of the "in progress" shots of the sink plunger were,  erm,  disturbing and anyway, who has three plungers under their sink?

Well, you might NEED three, depending how tough the blockage is....

So how long will it before visitors to exhibitions start asking to see your animations?

One hopes any decent Railway Modeller would respond to such a query with appropriate courtesy.

As it were....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No one else got to the last paragraph then?

"It would be easy to be snarky about this show (as the previous six paragraphs have proven).  But in these Brexit looming apocalyptic days, the knowledge that there are groups of men who are oblivious to it all and are quite happy to while away their days building the hoover dam out of polystyrene for their 00 gauge railway is quite reassuring.   I say good luck to them.  They are the epitome of what makes Britain great"

There's sweet FA any of us can do about the over-hyped apocalypse in the offing. Yes, it's gonna happen but almost NOBODY yet really knows most of the ins-and-outs, whatever they might claim.

Those of us without influence over the outcome (i.e. 99.999% of the population) might as well enjoy ourselves in our own sweet way whilst trying not to giggle too openly at the sight of the political and media classes who, in truth, don't actually KNOW very much more than we do, disappearing apoplectically up their own fundaments, some of them not for the first time. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Hi All

SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen Heat 3: 

Hope you enjoyed Heat 3. Firstly congratulations to the team that won. I thought they might, and they thought we might. And I liked Team Tonbridge's model too - they attempted some brilliant technical things. 

Here is a little video I can now put up, the first of five: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBhkZblpa_M  showing us on set. 

The 2nd video covers the backstory filming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPIwLEe7JQU

Oh and here is a layout I made in 9 hours that was referred to in the show, really a simple model, just to hopefully show would-be modellers that you can build something fairly quickly, so why not give it a go. It won't win any awards but it was fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8WzxHrhlI

I tried to use a group of newbies to show anyone can give it a go. A noble gesture I hope. I also wanted women on the team who were very dedicated. My team did a wonderful job - special thanks to all of them. Even Dakota. I know I moaned at him a couple of times but he's a good mate of mine and we thought it might make good tv ;-) Oh and that 'rubbish' engine shed model was actually used on the sci-fi section. It just wasn't right for that section lol. Power of editing eh? 

I hope you enjoyed our model - sci-fi is my style - and maybe we inspired a few people. I do make traditional models too (see Oct 2018 Model Rail or Jan 2019 BRM). 

Thanks to Knickerbocker and everyone else. 

Yours 'Articulated Laurie' (James and his puns eh lol?)

Edited by LocoLaurie
  • Like 14

So how long will it before visitors to exhibitions start asking to see your animations?

Time Travel Train was destroyed after filming as we had no way to get it home. We had to build it all there from a blank set of boards too. The nearest you can get is to see my sci-fi model 'Cato Pass' at shows as some of the items are now on that. 

Décolletage!

That's Steampunk kind Sir :-) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another very enjoyable programme. When I first saw Steampunk I thought, oh no, but by the end of the programme it won me over. While it might not be a conventional model railway, I thought it was imaginative, entertaining and well done. Liked the other two layouts too.

Perhaps this series will widen our modelling horizons and bring new interest in the hobby.

• Like 2