Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Premium

I only caught the second half, but I thought it was pretty good again. No surprise with the result, but they all had plenty of good points.

The rest of the trackwork was also pretty good. :jester:  I've already got my hat and coat on.

Only a week until the Diesel Dynamos. I'm hoping to be a member of the "GMRC mostly overlooked" club. There is usually two on a team that are only referred to in passing :-)

But we know who you are!   :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

Enjoyed the episode but sorry just don't 'get' steampunk but appreciate the modelling involved as I suspect you can't buy anything off the shelf for it!

Anyone else playing spot the biggest little Railway participants in this show think there have been representatives every week so far.

Also is Steve flint really stern as they portray him although his attempt at humour this week was a poor dad joke!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that the Basingstoke Bodgers deserved to win though it was close as I felt the Steampunk layout was novel and a little “off the wall”. My only gripe with the winning layout was as the “Rudolph Castle” went round some of the curves, at first the leading tender wheels were off but still running and later when you came back to the loco, the rear set of driving wheels were clearly off but nothing was said by the judges

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm Rudolf Castle stayed on the rails all through the actual judging run. The close-up shots were done later with a mini camera strapped to the side of the tender, or on the loco, or on a wagon in front of the loco. The weight of the camera threw everything off balance, and it hit lineside objects, causing lots of derailments.

Perhaps this series will widen our modelling horizons and bring new interest in the hobby.

You've hit the nail on the head with what we were trying to do. I did at one point have my 16 year old son involved but minors were not allowed in the end due to filming restrictions being tight (in the industry). 

• Like 2

My take on it was a repeat of my thoughts on last week. I think that as a result of running issues the judge's made the correct decision. Had there not been running issues I'd had gone for the blue team this week.

Although Santas, Elves, dinosaurs and aliens are not my thing on a layout I thought all three layouts were well put together.

Had they been at an exhibition I'd have walked past any layout with dinosaurs, aliens or elves and spent most of the time at Watford from last week and the blue team this week. That is not a comment on the modelling ability of the others simply on my personal taste. I guess I would find it hard to be an objective judge because I'd be drawn to a type of layout, the more traditional type.

The other thing I've been thinking about is how competitor's may approach this if there is a second series. An example would be the third rail on the Watford layout. I totally get why they did it, I'd have done the same for a modelling challenge, however thinking about the time constraints and the fact they did not seem to have got any credit for their authenticity I'd imagine next series others may take a different tact.

Still enjoying the show, well done to all involved and looking forward to next week.

• Like 2

I still need to watch the full episode but watched the last part my 5 year old daughter seemed really excited by it and she picked the red team as her winners - think Santa swung it for her! 3 interesting layouts produced in the build time tonight great effort all round. As Marcus has said it’s us lot next week - slightly scared to watch lol! Anyway we had a really good time filming and had a laugh so hope it comes across like this in the edit!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode once again.  I actually thought that the quality of the three layouts were, as a whole, the best trio so far. I liked the Steampunk layout, good to see something a bit different. The dockside layout looked nice too, but the Santa layout was, for me, a clear winner. Congratulations to the team involved. 

Once again it was good to see different themes. Despite what some of the doubters on here think, I actually think that the series is showing the hobby in a good light. The different way the themes are interpreted show what a wide spectrum the hobby can incorporate. In the last few weeks I have already enjoyed conversations with customers in my shop about various ideas that have been inspired by the programme. There are some who have developed ideas for other film and tv related layouts as a result of the programme. That can only be a good thing can't it?

• Like 3

Yes, code 75 concrete sleeper track with full code 60 conductor rail electrification including a substation and feeder cables (which I don't think got shown), versus 009 trains running on 'N' gauge track versus 2-EPBs with no third rail does rather make one think about what we should have done and perhaps we wasted our time a bit on the track.

With hindsight I think we should have done the GOBLIN where it runs through Walford and used 156 and 170 DMU (which I already had anyway) with the underground just virtual in a tube underneath. The shorter trains might have enabled a crossover so that trains could be reversed at Walford for operational interest.

Bring on the 2019 competition! Need to get in quick while Londoners can still remember what Diesel trains were.

• Like 1

After watching the third episode I'm losing patience with it.

I thought the Blackadder layout in the second episode was good because it used the TV series as an excuse to portray something halfway representative of the real WW1 railways. But the third episode was just dire. It's not that I mind gimmicky layouts but the only team that attempted something that looked like a model of an actual railway got criticised for lacking imagination. The great majority of model railways are attempts to portray an actual railway, real or imagined, with some degree of authenticity but this series shows none of that.   

The problem is the idiotic themes and it would have been so easy to come up with themes that allow for either a realist or an imaginative interpretation. 

Here's my thematic suggestions

City

Industry

Food

Holidays

Frontier 

Past, Present, and Future

• Like 1

I thought the Blackadder layout in the second episode was good because it used the TV series as an excuse to portray something halfway representative of the real WW1 railways. But the third episode was just dire. It's not that I mind gimmicky layouts but the only team that attempted something that looked like a model of an actual railway got criticised for lacking imagination. The great majority of model railways are attempts to portray an actual railway, real or imagined, with some degree of authenticity but this series shows none of that.   

The problem is the idiotic themes and it would have been so easy to come up with themes that allow for either a realist or an imaginative interpretation. 

City

Industry

Food

Holidays

Frontier 

When you consider the theme of the episode - Globetrotting - modelling a south coast, seaside station in the UK isn't overly imaginative. With all due respect to the Tonbridge team, they produced an excellent layout with great features, but all I could see that related to the theme (and correct me if I'm wrong) were the flags on the beach huts and a Customs hut. If there was more, I didn't spot it on a first viewing. 

Once again we have to remember that the shows primary audience isn't the serious modeller, it's the general public who we want to gain an interest in the hobby. The gimmicky themes will be what gets them interested, and hopefully will encourage them to look further into the hobby, whether that's looking at YouTube, magazines, or going to exhibitions, which are all great opportunities to see some top class modelling.  

I believe the judges got it right, and the Basingstoke Bodgers layout interpreted the theme in a fun and interesting way, I particularly liked their use of N Gauge. Team Steampunk certainly produced something very outside the box in terms of the theme, and had they been deemed the winners would've been worthy, but dare I say controversial? ones. 

As for the themes you have suggested, not to give anything away, but one of those may seem very familiar in a few weeks time... 

• Like 2

I continue to watch the series because, like the proverbial Curate's egg, parts of it are excellent. I really admire the courage, modelling skills and tenacity of the contestants, as well as their diplomatic skills (alas, I suspect, when confronted by some of [admittedly few] inanities said on or required by the show, my responses would easily make me the "villain" of the episode...)

I think that one can possibly argue that one contribution to some of the less "real modelling"  aspects of the series (if one could put it that way) is the insistence on including "animations" on the layout. Regardless of whether or not one is for or against "animations" on a layout (I have mixed feelings, but lean slightly more towards being against), it does look like it takes valuable modelling time and resources away from completing the layout in the allotted time. And, to be generous and diplomatic, some of the animations do appear to have a very tenuous link with the railway being created (I also get the impression - correct me if I am wrong - that for some the animations are included because they have to, not because they want to).

I have commented before on how "sneer-free" the series is (and kudos to the whole production team for that), but the one place I really do think that they are "extracting the Michael" is the scratchbuild challenge: a lady's shoe?, a washing up sponge? a sink plunger?  "Puh-lease" as our American friends would say. Why not a proper scratchbuild challenge? a few sheets of plain and embossed plastic, some clear plastic and assorted wires and plastic strip - that would be a true test of scratchbuilding. And, to do the scratchbuilders justice, start the challenge on the very first day.

Finally, to emphasize the (generally) positive view of railway modelling this programme is promoting, it would be nice - in a future series - to spend a few minutes in each programme highlighting pinnacle modelling built by some of the hobby's top practitioners; from a single building from Pendon to a whole layout such as Copenhagen Fields (a bit like motoring shows doing a puff piece on the latest Rolls Royce or Ferrari: something inaccessible for most but nonetheless interesting to learn about).

• Like 6

• Administrators

What I really loved about last night's episode was how it portrayed the hobby as fun and that it doesn't have to take itself so seriously. The winning Basingstoke layout was superb. Some great modelling, quirky features and a brilliant story as the train went around the various scenes. It perfectly combined what I really love about railway modelling. Well done Basingstoke.

• Like 2

The animations are a gimmick, just as they are on many other layouts, but some still include them even when they're not building for a channel 5 gameshow. It certainly looks as though they're required by the competition, which is understandable given the format. The judging segment would be pretty dull (especially to people who aren't into model trains) if all they had to look at was whether the static grass had found its way onto the road surface, and finding out if the rail sides had been painted. They also provide another opportunity to demonstrate the creativity that the program is showcasing (same goes for the scratch build section). If you were building a "serious" layout then you probably wouldn't include a bubble machine and a plunger very often, but not everyone is trying to recreate Pendon all the time.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

I'm still loving the whole series. The steampunk layout started out looking like it would be terrible but ended up being very good in its own peculiar way. The result was right again - the Bodgers deserved to win over Steampunk but only just. Trowbridge did OK in the time but just weren't up to the same level as the other two.

If I was going on the globetrotting theme I would have gone for either British or USA built locos in locations they were used around the world. That would open up a lot of possibilities for interesting modelling and a bit of learning but admittedly be of less interest to the viewers than either the Bodgers or Steampunks layouts.

Looking forward to the coming episodes. Meanwhile here's my thoughts on the "fire & ice" theme. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

City

Industry

Food

Holidays

Frontier 

Whilst I can see your point, and it has some merit, there is a saying in business (Henry Ford's?) "that if you do what you always do, you get what you've always got." Whichever bit of the railway scene, full size or model, most interests you/me/us Is irrelevant; we can't hide the fact the traditional structure of the railway interest group is slowly shrivelling from the bottom up. We have to adapt to survive. This may be a way to adapt and evolve. I am certainly thinking of ways to make our Society stand build on the GMRC, possibly not time for anything significant before Warley but in time for Alexandra Palace. As I posted previously, the pyramid is shrinking from the bottom up not the top, we have to attract the newbies of any age. Talking to a fellow enthusiast in the model shop yesterday suggests that target is middle aged retirees not necessarily youngsters. What matters is we grip the attention of today's prospective modeller. If the animations and 'off the wall' ideas do that in the same way Tri-Ang's giraffe car, helicopter and rocket wagon did for my generation then it is good.

It does happen. When I was ten all those years ago boys didn't do Barbie dolls, then someone thought differently and introduced Action Man! My younger cousin and his mates were hooked on dolls for boys. The right thing at the right time can change things - I may never choose to model a space port, but remember the Tracey Island phenomenum, equally I will never model the LNWR in P4. I am however part owner of an LNWR live steam locomotive.

This is something different, for mass entertainment, that the hobby may well benefit from.

• Like 1

Favourite comment from last night's show by the Special Effects guy on the Steampunk team. "This is a 30 second audio recording device..........which can record 30 seconds of audio"

Priceless.

That took me back decades to my student days when a pal of mine used to say he'd got an infallible plan, that cannot fail.

Oh and not forgetting the contestant who remarked he was mentally and physically drained after completing the painting of several beach huts.

I'm really warming to this show in a good way. There are some pearls, and I quite enjoyed the dreadful puns.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I notice there has been a bit more explanation of what is going on, with a short bit on static grass last week and on ballasting this week.

Though I can’t help but think that a fuller “how to” piece with a bit more explanation would be more useful to people inspired to have a go themselves. (Or probably better still a spoken link to find out more on the website)

I have to say I am enjoying it still, once you except the format for what it is. Might even be tempted to have a go if it’s recommissioned

Looking forward to next week and seeing how Castle and team got on

• RMweb Premium

The animations are a gimmick, just as they are on many other layouts, but some still include them even when they're not building for a channel 5 gameshow. It certainly looks as though they're required by the competition, which is understandable given the format. T

The copy of the rules linked to earlier did indeed say that an animation was required.

However, the one that won last night only had a token animation (unless you count the bubble machine) and it didn't prevent it from winning.

If I was going on the globetrotting theme I would have gone for either British or USA built locos in locations they were used around the world. That would open up a lot of possibilities for interesting modelling and a bit of learning but admittedly be of less interest to the viewers than either the Bodgers or Steampunks layouts.

How about Flying Scotsman on tour?

• Administrators

"The animations are a gimmick, just as they are on many other layouts" - as I am sure you were happy to say to Dave & Shirley Rowe years ago when their layouts featured extensive animations. So "gimmicky" that Wild Swan published a book on them that sold out quickly and costs a fortune if you want it second-hand today.

The point of the animations, and working trains, is that movement is essential. How many exhibition threads are full of howls that nothing was moving? If serious modellers demand to see things move, the general public are going to be far more demanding in that direction.

• Like 3