Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

All of this has left me with a hankering for a "Dads Army" themed layout.

Yes, I was thinking that had I been on the programme, that would probably be my choice. Mental sketches have been going round in my head today!

There have been a few 'DA-ish' layouts around but most of them are just exercises in building a row of shops with 'Jones Butcher' and 'Frazer Funeral Director' on them. To do the theme justice, the town would need to be laid out as depicted in the series (a couple of maps appear at different times, and in one episode they build a 'model' of the town for a tactical exercise - but these contradict each other slightly!).

I'd bet on Only Fools though Trotter's Reliant has appeared on numerous layouts. (But then so has the Tardis) with Allo Allo as a possible runner. Thank goodness Some Mothers was a 1970s series.

But he did say KBG said it was a series people wouldn't remember, so I think that rules out AFAH

Lost me when I saw they'd written "past time".  It's a pastime, most definitely conducted in the present tense.

Viewing figures show these "boring hobby" challenge programmes to be extremely popular with the normals so I think we can safely judge the article as an outlier.

Review loses all credence when they can’t even be arsed to spell Kathy’s name right, and that she’s just there for “ diversity “( her stuff is a million times better than mine ever will be ),

And as to calling it a dull pastime , just reinforces my view that TV reviewers are lower than a racing snake’s belly.

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Premium

No one else got to the last paragraph then?

"It would be easy to be snarky about this show (as the previous six paragraphs have proven).  But in these Brexit looming apocalyptic days, the knowledge that there are groups of men who are oblivious to it all and are quite happy to while away their days building the hoover dam out of polystyrene for their 00 gauge railway is quite reassuring.   I say good luck to them.  They are the epitome of what makes Britain great"

"It would be easy to be snarky about this show (as the previous six paragraphs have proven).  But in these Brexit looming apocalyptic days, the knowledge that there are groups of men who are oblivious to it all and are quite happy to while away their days building the hoover dam out of polystyrene for their 00 gauge railway is quite reassuring.   I say good luck to them.  They are the epitome of what makes Britain great"

Damning with faint praise I think.

Clearly written by a idiot who has no idea about the hobby or the people watching it someone with out a grip on reality a sad pathetic blogger with nothing decent to say the articles sad

Clearly written by a idiot who has no idea about the hobby or the people watching it someone with out a grip on reality a sad pathetic blogger with nothing decent to say the articles sad

Priceless!   :angel:  :sungum:

A less than complimentary review of episode 1

I thought there was nothing tooooo bad about that review. I was expecting worse from the comments of those who had already read it and I'm happy to take the last paragraph at face value. We mustn't get too touchy. Live and let live I say.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

Yes, I got to the end. The author didn't improve things for themselves, implying that modellers have their collective heads in the sand, and showing a distinct lack of understanding.  Now, if I were building a polystyrene "Hoover dam", I'd be working in HO rather than OO.  Boston Grand Sluice would be more appropriate for OO.....

Got the hiccups?  :jester:

False Jeopardy is what the format is built on.

Does it *really* matter if Rupert's Brioche rises properly? Of course not...

Anyway, lots of people (including many contributors to this forum) don't like the program. Oh well, that's how it goes. Doesn't make them an idiot. We'd be better served making sure we welcome those who find the program inspiring into our hobby/ community.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Feeling some trepidation now that my heat will be shown tonight.

Did I say something contentious? Or did I say something just downright stupid?

Did the cameras catch me picking my nose, scratching my bum, or something worse?

Oh, well, too late to worry about it now. Most of the Basingstoke Bodgers team are meeting at our captain's home this evening to eat pizza and take the mickey out of each other's performances.

Photo from tv24.co.uk TV listings website

p16085160_e_h6_aa.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Feeling some trepidation now that my heat will be shown tonight.

Did I say something contentious? Or did I say something just downright stupid?

Don't worry, if you did any of the above someone is bound to tell you. :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn’t worry Ian, only one person has really been highlighted and he wasn’t cruel about others just came across a bit over confident and their team didn’t live up to the pre build quality on screen. I think all the other have done fine. Certainly a lot talking to me about it at work as I’ve never concealed my hobby. I’m increasingly feeling it needs to show some finished layouts of typical quality to show what they can be developed into. A couple of the highest standard too but I don’t want it to put people off. This programme could do with catching the banter between team members to give it a bit more life. It’s too focused on the deadlines and there’s not the typical fun I associate with club builds. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have viewing figures been published for the first two episodes?

I have now found the website with all the data - www.barb.co.uk

They only have data for the first episode, but I would say it was encouraging. GMRC was the 5th most popular programme on C5 that week, on a total of 1,309,126  - but it was the most watched programme online. Paddington 24/7 was 3rd and Walking Lost Railways was 10th, so a good showing for all the railway programmes. 

Edited by JohnR