The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dr. Who - Series 11 (2018)

DavidB-AU

Following on from Series 10.

Does anybody know where the train scene was filmed and what was used? It seemed to be a disjointed mix of several different things. The only thing identifiable was the cab of DMLV 68509 which is at Barry (not surprising since it's made by BBC Wales).

post-6959-0-16276800-1538991705_thumb.jpg

post-6959-0-71147200-1538991710_thumb.jpg

post-6959-0-05818600-1538991716_thumb.jpg

post-6959-0-75170300-1538991721_thumb.jpg

post-6959-0-20017000-1538991727_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 1

I was amused by the Doctor crashing through the metal roof of the carriage, and the comments about not stepping on live rails (in Sheffield). It's also been a while since Mk2 stock was used on the MML.

I thought the episode was OK, but nothing more. I was expecting it to be utterly terrible, not because of the female Doctor, but based on the rather uninspiring build up to the new series. This seemed to continue at the same the end of the episode, with the 'Coming soon' bit being a list of guest stars, most of whom I'd never heard of.

Edited by pete_mcfarlane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Why list future guest stars?

That was a minute of my life wasted I won't get back.

I want to see clips of stories, now they class as exciting.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that Jodie Whittaker was excellent but the story was lacklustre and derivative. I hope she doesn't end up like Capaldi in being a superb performer bringing something fresh to the role only to be let down by rubbish stories. Capaldi could've been a great Doctor with half decent stories. I will see how it goes but they seem to have been running very low on stories for a few series and last nights episode didn't indicate a turnaround.

• RMweb Gold

What did we learn

1) learn to ride a bike on flat ground.

2) Sheffield spoons can be sonic,

3) never trust a cold dentist,

4) not sure about the new outfit,

5) never trust initials so said the Dr. erm TARDIS?

6) do builders work at night,

7) Gatwick Express units travelled wider than first thought

8) oh and the gender don’t matter..

• Like 2

I did like the nod to one of Chris Chibnall's predecessors as a scifi/fantasy scriptwriter: the crane scene was surely meant as a reference to Nigel Kneale's Quatermass and the Pit?  One of the shots of Jodie at the end of the jib immediately made me think of James Donald in the Hammer Films version, riding to his doom but saving London from a Martian invasion in the process.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What did we learn

1) learn to ride a bike on flat ground.

2) Sheffield spoons can be sonic,

3) never trust a cold dentist,

4) not sure about the new outfit,

5) never trust initials so said the Dr. erm TARDIS?

6) do builders work at night,

7) Gatwick Express units travelled wider than first thought

8) oh and the gender don’t matter..

4) Was, I suspect, contrived to avoid adolescent (and older :jester: ) boys liking the programme for the wrong reasons.

From what I did see of Ms Whittaker, (even in Mr. Capaldi's cast-offs) that's probably a forlorn hope whatever she wears...…

8) So agree, she grabbed the role by the scruff of the neck and made it her own from the word go.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pretty good in terms of Ms Whittaker getting into the role with one or two good lines but much of the story was too derivative to excite me and some of the characterisation struck me as rather poor and/or badly acted (or badly scripted and directed).  However on the positive side I only dropped off to sleep for a relatively short part of the programme which ought to give the Beeb some encouragement I suppose.

BUT, but, but, why the merry heck have they moved it to Sunday, why in the name of all things important to man and beast have they not only moved it to Sunday but timed it to clash with 'The Archers', and even worse why the h*ll have they timed it to clash with our Sunday evening dinner time (especially as the latter might mean I would have to tidy up the dining room table)?   I don't mind in the least the gender change for the Doctor (even if the Doctor him/herself hadn't noticed) and I love the fact that Jodie Whittajker is hanging on to a trace of her natural accent BUT WHY HAVE THEY MOVED IT TO SUNDAY??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Such a shame that the most interesting and likeable character, Grace, was killed off - I found the three other companions somewhat wooden and lucklustre albeit fulfilling the Beeb's PC aspirations.  Jodie? I hope she'll grow into the role - certainly there was touch of both David Tennant and Christopher Ecclestone in her characterisation in the first episode but I still haven't quite come to terms with the concept of a female Dr Who.  The story was disappointing; after putting up with the increasingly awful story lines that Stephen Moffatt gave to the excellent Peter Capaldi I had expected something much better from Chris Chibnall but sadly it wasn't forthcoming, at least in this episode - hopefully things will improve.  Mind you, it made me see Tim Shaw of "The Great Model Railway Challenge" in a new light...........

DT

• Like 1

I rather enjoyed the programme, and thought Jodie Whittaker was excellent as the Doctor. Agree that Grace would have made an excellent companion, and some of the train scenes were a bit naff (but aren't they always ?). Look forward to next week.

I was pleasantly surprised. I think that Ms Whittaker has the makings of an excellent Doctor, assuming - as I and others have said elsewhere - she is not let down by poor scripts, poor stories and poor directing and poor production.

I felt that the multi-ethnic approach was laboured - almost as though it was a "diversity" exercise with boxes being ticked off. Having said that, I think that it was criminal that they killed off such a strong character as Grace. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I would gladly trade both Yasmin AND Ryan for Grace. I actually think that Grace and Graham would have been a great pair of companions for the Doctor: practical Grace and (a possibly more) impratical Graham.

I agree about the pointlessness of the parade of  "coming guest stars"- most of whom were unknown to me.

After watching it I had something niggling at me and then I realised it was a feeling that there is a certain amount of "preachiness" in the script - as demonstrated by the line "...like a sonic Swiss Army knife, but without the knife; only idiots carry knives" Apart from the fact that knives are like any other tool, very useful indeed if used properly, do the producers/scriptwriters really think that the knife wielding feral youth of the inner cities are going to be dissuaded from carrying knives by a TV programme??? I do hope that the producers are savvy enough to dump the preachiness and let the storyline get their messages across.

In all, not bad and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Premium

I rather enjoyed the programme, and thought Jodie Whittaker was excellent as the Doctor. Agree that Grace would have made an excellent companion, and some of the train scenes were a bit naff (but aren't they always ?). Look forward to next week.

I quite liked it - particularly the idea of her costume being assembled in a Sheffield charity shop.

The "buttons" she was pressing in the cab while saying in turn "power, lights, doors" looked rather like the TPWS box to me though...

I felt that the multi-ethnic approach was laboured - almost as though it was a "diversity" exercise with boxes being ticked off.

iD

I speak treading on the proverbial eggshells but, seen much UK TV advertising lately? To be applauded of course, in a Nirvanic alternative reality sense...and that's all I'm saying about that!

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine was involved and said filming for this episode was around Cardiff - Central police station, Garth Mountain and Gwaelod village.

Regarding the new series I thought it got off to a good start and Jody has the makings of an excellent Doctor.

Definitely Garth Hill - very recognisable (including the distant view of the coast).

There are a lot of other Doctor Who locations in view in the shot where they were sitting on the cliff, including the outside of one of the quarries they've used, and somewhere in the distance the BBC Wales studios.

Not too bothered about who is the doctor, or what their gender is, but I do wish they would slow it down a bit and let a story develop over a few episodes so we get to revel in a hopefully otherworldly or malevolent (or both) atmosphere of 'who', like we did in its heyday. Focus on the story!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not too bothered about who is the doctor, or what their gender is, but I do wish they would slow it down a bit and let a story develop over a few episodes so we get to revel in a hopefully otherworldly or malevolent (or both) atmosphere of 'who', like we did in its heyday. Focus on the story!

Yes - I enjoyed having lots of two parters - overall not much shorter than a traditional 4 part story.

Just watched the new series Jodie has potential to be a good doctor but the new episode has fallen down the same Chibnall route of slow writing and then having to quickly wrap it up. I will watch the rest of the series but it isn’t going on my most watch list unlike the previous seasons. Hopefully it’ll improve but right now I’m not holding my breath.

Big James