Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Has anyone with multiple Deltics noticed differing performance between them?

I have 2 DCC Ready models and one requires more voltage than the other to get going and also to run at a similar speed to the other. Both have been run in and have been used for a similar amount of time since I got them. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Alycidon is (cosmetically) finished. With one side as D9009 and black bufferbeam / buffers and the other as 55009 with red bufferbeam and buffers; 

306191055_PXL_20220709_205939490.NIGHT2.thumb.jpg.e1080039e3f3bf149e460e61aa424f7c.jpg

1473464938_PXL_20220709_210019352.NIGHT2.thumb.jpg.2589308e076b01cf4ca6b0f7a98a96d3.jpg

All done in a way where I can change it back to D9009 on both sides with little trouble. Just KOYLI left to detail up now.

Cheers,

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SHMD said:

On the real Loco, the chains connect the Handbrake (in the Cab) to the Handbrake mechanism on the bogies.

On the Model, the chains are there to incentivise modellers to actually locate where they last left their tweezers and Magnifying glasses.

Kev.

And to feed the carpet monster…,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Knapdale said:

I have 2 DCC Ready models and one requires more voltage than the other to get going and also to run at a similar speed to the other. Both have been run in and have been used for a similar amount of time since I got them. 

Yes! I run DCC and have a volt/ammeter fitted to check things (DCC Concepts). Without a loco running the power consumed is around 1.45 amps. Deltic 55002, when running, consumes around 0.2 amps, so the meter reads around 1.65 amps. If I run D9009 the meter goes up to around 2.2 amps, meaning this loco pulls 0.75 amps. I've also noticed that the speeds are very much different at the same speed setting. D9009 will very quickly catch 55002 up when the speed set setting is around 50. Note sure why this is, but is more than likely down to the motor in some way.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ken.W said:

No, it was the 40s that l meant, the post l was replying to saying they'd fit in with the 'AS theme' of ECML Racehourses....they'd be the carthorses to go with them

Took 40s all their time to pull themselves never mind a train!

I was in a 40 from Peterborough to Stratford with a load of empty frieghtliners and the racket from behind was almost, almost drowned out by the racket coming from that wobbly front axle🤫 

😁

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Knapdale said:

I’ll say it again……ESU V5 curse 🤣

Although you say DCC ready, do you mean you put your own decoders in them or did they come with sound fitted?

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Yes! I run DCC and have a volt/ammeter fitted to check things (DCC Concepts). Without a loco running the power consumed is around 1.45 amps. Deltic 55002, when running, consumes around 0.2 amps, so the meter reads around 1.65 amps. If I run D9009 the meter goes up to around 2.2 amps, meaning this loco pulls 0.75 amps. I've also noticed that the speeds are very much different at the same speed setting. D9009 will very quickly catch 55002 up when the speed set setting is around 50. Note sure why this is, but is more than likely down to the motor in some way.

Again, are both these ready fitted V5 sound decoders?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Although you say DCC ready, do you mean you put your own decoders in them or did they come with sound fitted?

The decoder will "consume" whatever current the motor, speaker and lights are demanding.  At least the decoder is of such quality that it can support up to 1.5A.

I suggest the issue won't be the decoder.

@Tony Walker You could try taking the decoders out and fitting a blanking plug.  Then measure the DC load.  That way you will isolate where the "issue" is. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I'd go with the blanking plug idea, or swap the chips over to see if the current draw stays with the chip or loco. My suspicion would be an overly tight gearbox / transmission though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 55020 said:

The decoder will "consume" whatever current the motor, speaker and lights are demanding.  At least the decoder is of such quality that it can support up to 1.5A.

I suggest the issue won't be the decoder.

@Tony Walker You could try taking the decoders out and fitting a blanking plug.  Then measure the DC load.  That way you will isolate where the "issue" is. 

Steve

I was asking because it isn’t clear still whether this issue is with an ESU sound decoder fitted model or a decoder fitted by the owner as they both state DCC ready models.

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting how many times the same two requests keep cropping up…

D9000 in BR Green 1990’s as used by VTEC.

Another vote for a 1990s D9000 from me 🤚

Cheers!

Bruce 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Ive found mine are running average 0.3amp on full power, (rolling road test) which is greater than the average range (0.1a - 0.15a ) that most UK OO rtr diesels I have max out at.

That said, its moving a lot of weight and its got a credible top speed, so its to be expected. Its inline with US HO rtr which are similarly hungry beasts.

i’m not expecting to run a triple header so I should be ok.

Excuse the mess.. but heres 55002 at full pelt..

2C535745-AB89-4642-AA93-80E6474F5AD6.thumb.jpeg.cc7657d9c5dec10dbb9798a721c5f4e9.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just done a simple rolling road test of my 55 011, which came with sound. I have an RRampMeter between the Sprog 3 and the track which the rolling road is mounted on.

With sound and lights off and speed step up to 128, and with me carefully applying downward pressure on the roof to simulate load, the most I could get the meter to show 0.15 amps.

Without the roof pressure it was drawing about 0.07 amps.

Obviously lights draw power, as does the sound, and the most I could get with those both on and applying roof pressure was about 0.2 amps.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Neither. I run DC analogue only. 

When I put 3v through an oval of track and bring the locomotives onto it, the normal running one (No.15) causes the voltage to change slightly, whereas the slow slow running one (No.6) causes the voltage to drop to just below 2. Haven’t yet worked out how to measure amp levels with a multimeter yet!

Using a Gaugemaster controller No.6 needs to be at 50 to match the running speed of No.15 at 30. I have various locomotives from different manufacturers, but the discrepancy between the controller setting and the speed the engines travel isn’t as big as this. Just wondering whether there’s something wrong with the motor in No.6?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

"DCC Ready" is a term widely understood within the industry to mean fitted with a DCC socket of some kind, a blanking plate, and No decoder at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I was in a 40 from Peterborough to Stratford with a load of empty frieghtliners and the racket from behind was almost, almost drowned out by the racket coming from that wobbly front axle🤫 

😁

A 40 on a load of freightliners??? !! 

Ah yes, empties, that explains it 😉

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, thetrains said:

Not sure how to read amps on my multimeter.

Voltmeter connect in parallel

Ammeter connect in series

On current consumption, initially tried running my No8 in (DCC Sound) on DC as usually recommended. 

The basic engine sound still operates on DC, and found it took a high controller setting to move and max speed was rather slow.

Found it was taking the full 0.3A output of my controller (GM Series E).

Changing to DCC running was fine, but don't have an AC ammeter so can't tell what it was taking.

• RMweb Premium

Investing in an RRampMeter, or something like it, is invaluable, especially for DCC where knowing the amps off the command station PSU can really help to keep loads balanced.

https://tonystrains.com/news/rrampmeter-by-dcc-specialties/

I'm sure other types of such a meter are available.

4 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Investing in an RRampMeter, or something like it, is invaluable, especially for DCC where knowing the amps off the command station PSU can really help to keep loads balanced.

https://tonystrains.com/news/rrampmeter-by-dcc-specialties/

I'm sure other types of such a meter are available.

Yes there are other meters.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/alpha-meter-for-dc-or-dcc/

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Knapdale said:

Neither. I run DC analogue only. 

When I put 3v through an oval of track and bring the locomotives onto it, the normal running one (No.15) causes the voltage to change slightly, whereas the slow slow running one (No.6) causes the voltage to drop to just below 2. Haven’t yet worked out how to measure amp levels with a multimeter yet!

Using a Gaugemaster controller No.6 needs to be at 50 to match the running speed of No.15 at 30. I have various locomotives from different manufacturers, but the discrepancy between the controller setting and the speed the engines travel isn’t as big as this. Just wondering whether there’s something wrong with the motor in No.6?

Running pure DC it would point to tightness in the mechanism, or unlikely but possibly a discrepancy in each motor’s current draw, but you would expect both motors to be much the same nowadays.