Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold

Big thanks to the guys at accurascale for speedy delivery of a DCC chip for the deltic, ordered very late on Monday night, delivered on Wednesday. 

got it fitted into my loco in minutes, not had a chance to run it yet but hopefully get a go over the weekend, 2 of the chains are loose so I’ve got to re-secure them before running too

looking good on a pullman charter train

IMG_8910.HEIC

• Like 12

On 25/12/2022 at 10:08, Tony Walker said:

Brian, I've had the same problem. Initially the motor was just pulling too many amps, much more than the other two deltics I have. Then it started to develop the problems you are having. I emailed the support address and was told to return the loco but had to do via Rails the suppliers. Still waiting on it coming back from Rails, but I believe it to be fixed. I chased it via Simon at Accurascale. He had to fix another problem I had. I purchased a sound decoder and speaker from Accurascale to fit into a non-sound version. Couldn't get it to work at all, although the decoder worked correctly in another loco. Sent it back to Simon and he's sorted it out. Now back on the layout and sounding wonderful.

My two Deltics had similar intermittent running issues soon after delivery in the summer. They went back for repair. One of them has now started to have problems again, which I find strange. Does anyone know if motor issues can develop again after being repaired?

I’ve read on the Bachmann forum that some people have encountered problems with a “tight” motor. I’ve never experienced this before in any loco I’ve bought until my two Accurascale Deltics. Is it more common than my experience suggests?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Knapdale said:

My two Deltics had similar intermittent running issues soon after delivery in the summer. They went back for repair. One of them has now started to have problems again, which I find strange. Does anyone know if motor issues can develop again after being repaired?

I’ve read on the Bachmann forum that some people have encountered problems with a “tight” motor. I’ve never experienced this before in any loco I’ve bought until my two Accurascale Deltics. Is it more common than my experience suggests?

Knapdale, Not heard of anyone else with this problem, other than Brian, but maybe people just send their models back for repair. But I have seen reports of a similar problem with the class 92 model. And looking at the comments on the review video it's more than one. I did ask Simon at Accurascale, who fixed mine, what the problem was, but never got a reply. Maybe Accurascale are aware of the problem, but don't want to say in case the alarm bells start ringing. Just hope I don't have a similar problem with any of the several class 37's I have on order.

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Knapdale said:

A lot of people assume the cause of a problem without really having the knowledge to properly identify it. In 20 years of buying ready to run and more loco's than I want my wife to know about I've had only 2 that I've sent back, one was 'dead on arrival', the other had body and mechanical damage that was caused in packing. Neither was Accurascale. I've got 'a couple' of Deltics and no running issues apparent. Suggest you get in touch with Accurascale who will I am sure sort out your issue. Be open minded  - it might not be a fault with the model - I did initially think the stay alive on mine wasnt working but that turned out to be my layout wiring wasnt up to the job (voltage drop) !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Knapdale said:

IF the motor itself develops an issue, you should be able to smell it (A tight motor heats up and then starts to burn the coatings on the windings)! I have a Hornby H class doing that to me right now.

But the number things that can affect running are huge. It could be a dry bearing, either the motor (normally squawks if the case) or the gear train bearing which holds the worms (a constant issue with Hornby diesels in my experience). Then it could be pickups.... it could be an electrical fault... it could be.....

IF there was a common fault with a batch, I'm sure Accurascale would tell us about it, just as Bachmann did when their new class 40s had the wrong kind of grease (causing shorts) and Rapido with the lighting circuits on their one of theirs coaches.  What they cannot do is knee-jerk out a com after receiving a few returns which probably had completely different issues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Bachmann did when their new class 40s had the wrong kind of grease (causing shorts) 

Pedantic but the 40's werent causing shorts, early ones had intermittent pick up because the grease used on the axles was non conductive. As an NCE user shorts are an altogether more nerve wracking and expensive problem. Dont ask me how I know that lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Knapdale, Not heard of anyone else with this problem, other than Brian, but maybe people just send their models back for repair. But I have seen reports of a similar problem with the class 92 model. And looking at the comments on the review video it's more than one. I did ask Simon at Accurascale, who fixed mine, what the problem was, but never got a reply. Maybe Accurascale are aware of the problem, but don't want to say in case the alarm bells start ringing. Just hope I don't have a similar problem with any of the several class 37's I have on order.

Hi Tony,

We dont shy away from communicating as can be seen on here! The return rate on the Class 92 has been well below 1% of all models dispatched. No matter what QC is conducted an errant few models will get out there as happens with all manufacturers. Of course, if someone has a problem with something, their first port is to google it to see if anyone else has an issue, hence why comments pop up on posts or videos of said model. 

If anyone has an issue, the best remedy for the situation is to discuss with our tech team direct and let them look after it for you support@accurascale.co.uk. While some models can develop a problem, literally tens of thousands are out there running happily.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, thetrains said:

So have I, DC only loco, only found out from local MRC, so let mine run on my roundy, roundy and the at club's, (they've also got two 92's DC&DCC doing same) sure enough after about10-15 mins either direction does this slowing down & speeding up, similar to the S15's (cept the S15 did it from the off).  Not really bothered as in normal use only may run for max 5 mins at a time.  Stop it for a minute and its fine.  No idea when it may have developed the issue.  

Hi @thetrains,

What controller do they use at your club as a matter of interest?

Cheers!

Fran 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, thetrains said:

No idea what they use on DCC, on DC it's a MERG kit, some old H&M (pre Hnby), and GM's on test beds.  My layout is GM100M and a GMu panel mount simulation.  Like I said does not bother me.

Thanks for that. We have seem some wild voltage spikes on stuff like H&M kit when we have done testing and wouldnt recommend older controllers like that to be used on modern locos of any make. 

If you come across any further info could you forward it to support@accurascale.co.uk? 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Great news! After literally months sitting in customs our new Deltic Accurathrash Loksound 5 decoders have FINALLY arrived at our warehouse. 

We will be going through them now and get them shipping out from early next week. It's been torturous getting them through customs, and we thank you all so much for your patience. 

You can order yours here if you want to get one: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/dcc-decoders-and-accessories/products/accurathrash-class-55-deltic-dcc-sound-decoder

Cheers!

Fran  

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Great news! After literally months sitting in customs our new Deltic Accurathrash Loksound 5 decoders have FINALLY arrived at our warehouse. 

Cheers!

Fran  

You’re lucky to have them I think. Almost nobody else has “high end” DCC decoders at the moment!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, philg said:

You’re lucky to have them I think. Almost nobody else has “high end” DCC decoders at the moment!

Hi @philg,

I am not surprised. The Deltic decoders have been in customs for about 3 months now! I don't know what it is about DCC decoders, but HMRC really dont like them! We've been onto them daily trying to sort and tbh it's be exhausting at times. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @philg,

I am not surprised. The Deltic decoders have been in customs for about 3 months now! I don't know what it is about DCC decoders, but HMRC really dont like them! We've been onto them daily trying to sort and tbh it's be exhausting at times. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Brexit 

• Agree 6

18 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @philg,

Cheers!

Fran 

They probably think that they will be in transit to Russia or Iran as part of the control system for drones.😀

They must seem far too complex for use in toy trains.

Pleased to hear that your perseverance has paid off.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, philg said:

Assuming you’re being facetious. It’s really the worldwide chip shortage that is behind the shortage of decoders 

Also true but these have been made already then stuck in a warehouse on a UK dockside awaiting the attentions of HMRC. Brexit. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We will be going through them now and get them shipping out from early next week. It's been torturous getting them through customs, and we thank you all so much for your patience. 

You can order yours here if you want to get one: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/dcc-decoders-and-accessories/products/accurathrash-class-55-deltic-dcc-sound-decoder

Cheers!

Fran  

Hi Fran, stupid question here but I'll ask anyway. If I wanted to fit a sound decoder and the necessary accurathrash speaker to one of my DCC ready 55's, how much work is it to fit the speaker in particular? I notice it says plug and play which is great, but how much disassembly of the loco is needed? 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @60800,

You will need to take the body off, but after that it just plugs directly into the PCB and the space is already there for it. That's it really.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran, thanks that's great. I had it in my head it fitted in the fuel tanks, but this is much easier. 

Cheers,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Hi Fran, thanks that's great. I had it in my head it fitted in the fuel tanks, but this is much easier. 

Cheers,

You just need the chip too (which pops in under the magnetic roof) as the ready version has all the speakers already inside. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, McC said:

You just need the chip too (which pops in under the magnetic roof) as the ready version has all the speakers already inside. 

Ooh thankyou, I nearly just bought the speaker too. 

Cheers,

Edit: Order placed :) 

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

Literally just pop off the magnetically attached access point. pop out the blanking plate, in the chip and you are good to go!

C091D1CC-6E3D-4E58-B727-BE6C73458F91.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

Noooo!

They have a SUGAR CUBE and a keepalive, but they DON'T have the AccuraThrash speaker (which you really do need). The hardest part really is getting the body off (while you're in there, why not add a crew as well!!)

The decoder replaces the dummy board that's plugged onto the 21-pin plug (be VERY careful not to bend the pins when removing and inserting decoders - they're  bit fragile and hard to straighten again). The AccuraThrash just plugs into the 2-pin socket that's obvious, and the speaker sits snugly in place